ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Plans for Chauncey Hill

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Looks futuristic!

https://www.jconline.com/story/opin...-mall-heres-whats-next-near-purdue/784114002/

RIP (feel free to add)
Garcias
Jakes
Quincys
Taco Bell
Arbys
The Greek Place
Tin Pan Alley (Chauncey Hill arcade)
My Fathers Moustache
The hookah place
Penguins (blizzard place where they'd make anything you brought in into a blizzard...two examples, a burrito from Taco Bell and bag of hash)
The Wabash River Yacht Club
That little convenience store

Last edited:
Looks futuristic!

https://www.jconline.com/story/opin...-mall-heres-whats-next-near-purdue/784114002/

RIP (feel free to add)
Garcias
Jakes
Quincys
Taco Bell
Arbys
The Greek Place
My Fathers Moustache
The hookah place
Penguins (blizzard place where they'd make anything you brought in into a blizzard...two examples, a burrito from Taco Bell and bag of hash)
The White River Yacht Club
Parthenon is still up and running off 52 past Morehouse Road I believe.

Reactions: dwidwi and Tommaker
Discount Den. They had a good selection of music (CDs and cassettes) back in the day.

Looks futuristic!

RIP (feel free to add)
Garcias
Jakes
Quincys
Taco Bell
Arbys
The Greek Place
My Fathers Moustache
The hookah place
I guys I've been gone for a long time. I only recognize 10% of those names

Looks futuristic!

RIP (feel free to add)
Garcias
Jakes
Quincys
Taco Bell
Arbys
The Greek Place
My Fathers Moustache
The hookah place

I didn’t realize the Yacht Club changed from White River to Wabash before closing.
Loved Garcia’s, could never find as good as sauce since they’ve closed too.

Reactions: ejs1111
Bring back Garcia’s! Great pizza and they had The Cyclone pinball machine when I was there. It drew you in with the “Step right up! Hey you, with the face!”

Those businesses are not necessarily gone for good. Often the new landlord will work with existing businesses to get them located in the new development. Sure, they are out of business temporarily, but where else are they going to go (no pun intended)? If they are going to have 67,000-80,000 SF of retail, I am sure they will like the jump start the locals have to offer. Doubtful places like the Discount Den can afford the new rent, but would suspect some places like the book store, Jakes, Where Else, Taco Bell, Arby's. Or maybe they will move into the new buildings along State Street to the east! Hub / Hub-Plus / Rise at Chauncey.

Those businesses are not necessarily gone for good. Often the new landlord will work with existing businesses to get them located in the new development. Sure, they are out of business temporarily, but where else are they going to go (no pun intended)? If they are going to have 67,000-80,000 SF of retail, I am sure they will like the jump start the locals have to offer. Doubtful places like the Discount Den can afford the new rent, but would suspect some places like the book store, Jakes, Where Else, Taco Bell, Arby's. Or maybe they will move into the new buildings along State Street to the east! Hub / Hub-Plus / Rise at Chauncey.
Where Else has already had talks with returning...issue is going to be soundproofing for a space as big as they want to not be a disruption to apartments above.

I couldn't tell from the article, how far up state does this officially impact? Like the Von's area too?

I agree. Sad to see it go, some great memories. But Area is unsightly and it is tough to compete with places like Ann Arbor.

I'm actually looking forward to this being redeveloped, Purdue needs this to keep up with some of the other campuses in the Big 10 that have some really nice redeveloped areas. I think it will add greatly to the area.

This is a vast understatement in my opinion. That old strip mall and parking lot is a huge eyesore. For some reason, Purdue is way behind the times in developments like this. The restaurant/bar scene is by far the worst in the B10.

I like how people are worried about the businesses there - most of them were chains! "Oh no, I'm going to miss Taco Bell". I'm pretty sure campus can survive without a taco bell in the current location.

I'm very excited about all of this.

Reactions: since1980
I'd like to see Good Vibes return. it had quality stereo equipment nd speakers for a great price. Admittedly, it was not located at Chauncey Hill.

I'd also like to see the little mall by the Hilton Gardens on the Levee be filled once more.

What I hate to see are a bunch of little malls all over the place half filled/empty. I'd rather see one mall completely filled before another one starts opening. I hate to see the landscape super saturated with empty stores.

I'd like to see Good Vibes return. it had quality stereo equipment nd speakers for a great price. Admittedly, it was not located at Chauncey Hill.

I'd also like to see the little mall by the Hilton Gardens on the Levee be filled once more.

What I hate to see are a bunch of little malls all over the place half filled/empty. I'd rather see one mall completely filled before another one starts opening. I hate to see the landscape super saturated with empty stores.
If you talking about the Landing, it has filled up over time once the bookstore left. They have split the area in to smaller stores. The difficult places are the ones within the mall and that walkway...just not good exposure for causal shoppers.

Looks futuristic!

RIP (feel free to add)
Garcias
Jakes
Quincys
Taco Bell
Arbys
The Greek Place
My Fathers Moustache
The hookah place
The Wabash River Yacht Club
Egg Roll Express!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT