ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Painter calls our high school player...Alex Long

Jul 2, 2003
Last week, one of our better players at Silver Creek high school down here in the south was in a head on car accident. Alex Long and his sister survived but not without severe injuries that will take time to heal. However, his high school career ended, he's a senior. Through a couple of contacts, Coach Painter ended up calling Alex. Alex wasn't able to get the call but he got the voicemail and it helped him. Though he will eventually recover, he is looking at an extended hospital stay and realizing his basketball career is over. Coach Painter reaching out helped...a lot.
I know these guys do lots like this and don't want any attention for it, but it was a cool thing, a really good thing for Coach to do for this young man who will be a Boilermaker student next year.

I recall that he sent written congratulations to Borden HS when they won the single A state championship a couple of years ago. It makes you wonder how often Painter reaches out in situations like these all across the state. To be fair, I expect many coaches do similar deeds.

I recall that he sent written congratulations to Borden HS when they won the single A state championship a couple of years ago. It makes you wonder how often Painter reaches out in situations like these all across the state. To be fair, I expect many coaches do similar deeds.
Back in the 80s, Bob Knight visited a friend of mine who was at Riley, being treated for cancer, and who was a huge IU fan.

Great news. Didn't see this when you originally put it up but saw it while browsing through the board last week and have been saying prayers for these two kids since then. Thanks for sharing it here and for the update.

Reactions: BirdAlfordBailey
Alex has had the brace taken off and was shooting around yesterday, alas, his HS career is over, but he is looking forward to going to West Lafayette next year as a Boilermaker!

Sarah is back to school and doing very well all things considering.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT