ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NIL Market for QBs

Curious....have you moved off of the "We need to pay minor players major money just in case" stance yet? Still at the tip of the iceberg on this but I think these schools and "collectives" are so busy chasing recruits and their own guys with NIL money that only the top 0.0001% is going to get poached (like a Jordan Addison). I think ultimately these collectives will hit the bottom of the well so far as $$$ is concerned. Not all, but some.
Was I saying we needed to pay minor players? I know my posting style is more throwing stuff at a while and admitting I’m wrong as soon as evidence emerges…. But I thought I was more of the thinking that Purdue was going to think it could not pay big money to a Jalen Graham level player in two years and that there would be poachers. At the time it was looking like Purdue wouldn’t try to match. It seems they will. It’s looking like Purdue will pay guys in house just not guarantee payments before the fact. Will some blow up and get 2 million dollar offers that Purdue can’t or won’t match sure.

if you point me to a post to the contrary I’ll usually admit I was wrong more readily than many.

however, since then I’ve become pleased that Purdue has a number of mechanisms that any smart big ten or sec team can use to not only survive but potentially thrive with a smart player personnel operation. They are:

1) down transfers - For every guy who gets poached and ends up at a penn state, there becomes a Coke Brevard. Purdue can pick up a ton of useful players who just may not be in the immediate plans of a program like penn state.

2) always someone lower on the food chain - we may lose a Marvin grant for a weird reason or even get poached, but we can go for some of the best G5 players as well. Time was when Purdue had a hole there was no way to fix it that year. Imagine the 04 boilers if Kelly butler left early and we could easily pick up his replacement on the transfer market.

3) smaller recruiting classes means better recruits for us - this one is tricky but it’s zero sums with (1). Schools who would have signed 25 this year May only sign 18 in this new world. If you assumed we were 41st in recruiting stature, that would mean 280 players available to us who wouldn’t have been previously. Now, with no more 25 per class limit, some would say “well everyone might sign 40 this year and just cut a bunch of players.” Okay.. well, that’s either more players that a penn state cuts that we might be want OR less transfers they can take in, so that we can bring in better UP transfers like WKUs Mitchell tinsley. If penn state takes 40 recruits maybe they don’t have room for next years tinsley.

I think the best thing you can do is recruit a bunch of 5.5-5.7 kids who are gonna be there for the right reasons and who are gonna be ready made and definitely contribute. No more sulaiman kpakas who need to add 50 lbs. there’s no time. You need to bring in guys who don’t need a lot to development. You want kids like the 3.15 lb. guard they just got…

try to match on your best players and just get the best 85 you can.

purdue isnt going to be bringing in as many four stars as they did in 2019, especially of karlaftis and bells ilk. Those guys can and will begin to get paid at that level. You’re already seeing it. I think things are going well overall but I was blasted on KC for noting repeatedly that a program that said good bye to David bell five minutes ago is only getting commitments from 5.5 RR WRs. I really don’t think this would be the case without NIL. Look at yaseen, who came here with bell, Wright and rice already on campus and seemed to seek us out at the end.

so there will be some news that isn’t the best and I’m not going to disregard that just because I’m 100% Purdue and want us to win badly. But overall I think Purdue will have the tools to succeed.

PS - I also believe a lot of schools are going to be dealing with some major ass hole issues as guys get paid … Purdue probably won’t have as much of the prima Donna bs as many schools will. There are gonna be schools full of guys getting big dollars who get popped in the mouth by schools full of guys who are ready to play ball. It’s human nature.

@Hausta01 embarrassing story.. I got caught telling my friend who does competitive BBQ at big competitions that I really liked the ribs at Carson’s in chicago. He was like “uh… they boil their ribs” lol. I was like “well shit, I don’t know bbq at all” lol..

Reactions: pboiler18
@Hausta01 embarrassing story.. I got caught telling my friend who does competitive BBQ at big competitions that I really liked the ribs at Carson’s in chicago. He was like “uh… they boil their ribs” lol. I was like “well shit, I don’t know bbq at all” lol..

Haha that is pretty good. Can't blame you too much tho, ribs are pretty delicious no matter how they are cooked as long as they are fall off the bone tender. Just don't tell your BBQ comp friend "fall off the bone" since comp ribs aren't supposed to do that lol.

Haha that is pretty good. Can't blame you too much tho, ribs are pretty delicious no matter how they are cooked as long as they are fall off the bone tender. Just don't tell your BBQ comp friend "fall off the bone" since comp ribs aren't supposed to do that lol.
He looked at me like I was just transitioning to table food lol.. like I recommended Charles Shaw at a master vintners convention lol

ADVERTISEMENT