ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NIL Market for QBs

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010
  • Wow
Reactions: TX4GB
What happens when one of these $3 million a year QBs is a total bust? Will the NIL collective try to give them the talk and get out of paying all 4 years?
Yes. Already seeing this some places.
I’m not super worried about other teams picking who we have as they’ll be too busy worrying about the guys they have already promised to pay that they are getting no value from!

These "collectives" are going to need FTEs just to manage the deals/players in place. Then I give it 3 to 4 years when we find out someone in charge of this management is embezzling funds from one of the collectives.

This is going to be such a cluster F it will very possibly lead to the dissolution of the NCAA.

Edit: FTE is fulltime employee to avoid any confusion

Jaden Rashada supposedly has a $9.5 million deal with the U, and Florida offered him $11 million. Can’t help but wonder what Rickie Collins will get offered by LSU, FSU, etc.

What did Luke Burgess get from Papa John/Yum?

Sounds like $13m a year isn't gonna get too far for Mr. Ryan Day
I thought that was a year for the entire team, but I might have read it wrong. However, OSU would not worry about paying what they need to pay. Their boosters will step up when necessary.

Jaden Rashada supposedly has a $9.5 million deal with the U, and Florida offered him $11 million. Can’t help but wonder what Rickie Collins will get offered by LSU, FSU, etc.

There were 2 to 3 SEC schools in the mix for Arch Manning. When him announcing to Texas, I am sure that this starts to create chaos to find a QB, since those decisions are usually made early.

He has always seemed strong to us. I think Brian mentioned that on a Saturday simulcast this last weekend. However, even if we were willing to offer or match what the going rate is, which I don't think we would do that, I still wonder with LSU in his backyard, if that would be enough. I hope it is. I hope the family atmosphere and connections to the Brohms will also help us in the end. This video is 3 months old, which is forever in recruiting, but he seems to really like Purdue. Time will tell I guess.

I thought that was a year for the entire team, but I might have read it wrong. However, OSU would not worry about paying what they need to pay. Their boosters will step up when necessary.

Yeah it was for the whole team, but I guess in the NFL top QBs get 20-25% of the salary cap, so maybe that's ends up being about right. At least for the near future.

There was a clip on CBS this morning about 5 Elite 11 QBs that are potential decommits. Rickie Collins was one of them. But they listed the 5, and only really talked about 4, not saying anything about Rickie.

Reactions: pboiler18
There was a clip on CBS this morning about 5 Elite 11 QBs that are potential decommits. Rickie Collins was one of them. But they listed the 5, and only really talked about 4, not saying anything about Rickie.
I saw that…it appeared to me that the clip seemed to be “stating the obvious” ….that being which one of these is not like the other related to NIL money. Well, obviously someone is going to steal Collins from Purdue because their McDs bag is gonna have a kids meal and someone else (like Oregon or Arkansas) will have 25 Quarter Pounders, 15 Big Macs and 35 McRibs….obviously McRibs being the hook to get Collins to switch.

Reactions: TX4GB and pboiler18
I wonder what that other qb at Texas will receive once arch manning shows up. He better enjoy his 1 year of fame!

I saw that…it appeared to me that the clip seemed to be “stating the obvious” ….that being which one of these is not like the other related to NIL money. Well, obviously someone is going to steal Collins from Purdue because their McDs bag is gonna have a kids meal and someone else (like Oregon or Arkansas) will have 25 Quarter Pounders, 15 Big Macs and 35 McRibs….obviously McRibs being the hook to get Collins to switch.
Maybe we have a Drew Brees fund with the Purdue and Louisiana ties.

It isn’t. But it is dogshit.

Yes it is, or are you suggesting that since pizza originally came from Italy, every version of pizza is Italian? Even though no Italian would claim a pizza from Papa John's to be good or even Italian food?

Edit: Similarly, Panda Express is also American.

Yes it is, or are you suggesting that since pizza originally came from Italy, every version of pizza is Italian? Even though no Italian would claim a pizza from Papa John's to be good or even Italian food?
Pretty sure Schnatter isn’t an Eyetalian name.

• Haha
Reactions: Hausta01

This conversation has been very weird. I said I’m Italian as in Italian American.. so I don’t expect people to know what good pizza is, but papa John’s is dog shit. You are now assenting to that conclusion, yet you made a generalization that Italians wouldn’t know about American food.

you can call pizza American. When it isn’t made by Italian Americans it has sauce that’s extremely lacking in flavor. This is why places I like have followings without publicists and places that are “American” need to use publicists and inflate themselves in ratings lists to be similarly relevant.

You’re probably one of those guys who makes it in your backyard grill and thinks your sauce doesn’t taste like $2 bland shit huh ? Lol

What happens when one of these $3 million a year QBs is a total bust? Will the NIL collective try to give them the talk and get out of paying all 4 years?
It can’t be pay for play.. that’s why I think like with pack you’re seeing $400k each year. So they could maybe cut him before next year but he’d get the $400k for this year even if he sucked.

look at Quinn ewers. Not sure how his Ohio state deal was structured but he had to have gotten some money even for doing nothing.

I know some former big ten football players .. as acquaintances.. they are in laws and close friends of my closest friend. Very conservative people just in the sense of they are usually good with the status quo. They went on to be successful in the job force. You bring this up to them and they get fired up immediately about how those guys deserve every last dollar they get. They won’t even here ideas about how harmful it could be. That’s how much they resent how things were set up when they played. And these were all big ten guys.

our next AD has us covered

gettyimages-1082818592.jpg

Make_Purdue_Great_Again.png

• Haha
Reactions: TheGunner

95% of "Mexican" food eaten in the US is American food

This conversation has been very weird. I said I’m Italian as in Italian American.. so I don’t expect people to know what good pizza is, but papa John’s is dog shit. You are now assenting to that conclusion, yet you made a generalization that Italians wouldn’t know about American food.

you can call pizza American. When it isn’t made by Italian Americans it has sauce that’s extremely lacking in flavor. This is why places I like have followings without publicists and places that are “American” need to use publicists and inflate themselves in ratings lists to be similarly relevant.

You’re probably one of those guys who makes it in your backyard grill and thinks your sauce doesn’t taste like $2 bland shit huh ? Lol

Mostly just giving you shit since you claim to be THE authority on pizza here.

Papa John's is American because it clearly isn't Italian. It's an American, mass-produced, version of it an originally Italian food. As far as I know, Italy has no comparable in terms of production/scale (not even close). That mass production is part of what makes it American.

Of course the marinara/pizza sauce Nonna makes is better... Italians make Italian food better than non-Italians, color me surprised.

What was funny about his thing was that I was saying I don’t expect anyone to be Italian to know papa John’s is garbage.

I think with any food that comes to this country, the people who bring it modify it for a number of reasons. You won’t find mozzarella on pizza in New York circa 1905 because it wasn’t readily available.. thus begins a different Italian American cuisine.

are Mexicans going to bring super authentic dishes from the Yucatán to the masses? Probably not. I’ll still take tacos from Zacatacos over tacos from Steve’s tacos.

it’s a weird circular thing that people with no culture do.. usually elitist suburban professionals. “Oh the real Italian food is in Italy, they don’t even serve New York pizza there.” Yeah.. I’ll still take my pizza from a guy named Johnny in jersey before I get it off of Josh out of culinary school lol.

pork tenderloin sandwiches are American food. You’re still never gonna catch me telling people from Indy about pork tenderloin, cause that’s not my business. Ditto a pitmaster from Memphis about BBQ.

I would differentiate Mexican from Italian food and the US influence due to the proximity of Mexico.

May seem silly and arbitrary, but so is this conversation I perpetuated lol

Mostly just giving you shit since you claim to be THE authority on pizza here.

Papa John's is American because it clearly isn't Italian. It's an American, mass-produced, version of it an originally Italian food. As far as I know, Italy has no comparable in terms of production/scale (not even close). That mass production is part of what makes it American.

Of course the marinara/pizza sauce Nonna makes is better... Italians make Italian food better than non-Italians, color me surprised.
Well so hold on a second. You might think I’m an a hole and that’s fine.. I’m barely convinced I like myself most days.

not only did I grow up learning the food and not only have I been to more renowned pizza places in the Midwest and on the east coast than 99.9% of people, and not only have I gotten to know some very famous pizza owners who have shared info with me I never thought I’d get.. when I make it from scratch, it’s some of the best out there. It is something I know, but only cause I’ve put more than 10,000 into it. I didn’t like think I knew just cause I grew up with it and then that was it.

what do I know about what makes any kinda Mexican food good? Absolutely nothing. When I go to my brothers in laws, I eat, give praise, ask questions and shut up..

I generally assume there’s at least one thing all of you know about that I don’t know anything about. You don’t see me telling DaveK about fish fries and forty times. I read some people talking about bbq here once… like the real info. I just read, that was it. I don’t know anything about most things

I would differentiate Mexican from Italian food and the US influence due to the proximity of Mexico.

May seem silly and arbitrary, but so is this conversation I perpetuated lol
Message boards have no utility… anything people wanna discuss here is fine with me. It’s a way to pass time in a doctors office waiting room or on the shitter.

I generally think Italian food should go one of two ways..

The sauce can’t be replicated at culinary school. I promise you when you taste a place that has a balance of contrasting flavors, that’s almost always secret info that’s been handed down. This is where chef owned places fall short. Culinary schools teach baking very well. Sauce not at all.

if you’re gonna go inauthentic to Italian American (where often times, like Mexican food, the sauce is from family recipes going back to the old country), just go with something that hits the spot. When people think non Italian pizza is good, it’s usually cause they use meats with high fat content so what the person is saying is “that hit the spot”.. I’m fine with that. I love me a taco pizza or a bbq chicken pizza. I eat Hawaiian pizza and pickle pizza.. those people aren’t even trying to compete with Italians. I like it all.

Good pizza sauce is hard to make. Good sausage is everywhere you turn. I don’t know why that is. A lot of times when people say they had a great pizza at bob’s pizza heaven… it’s a sausage pizza. That’s fine. They’re saying it hit the spot.

The only thing I know about Mexican food is that I can’t get enough of it.

I watched a show once on the best ramen in Japan.. I can’t imagine the broth could ever be replicated here.

Reactions: Hausta01
Message boards have no utility… anything people wanna discuss here is fine with me. It’s a way to pass time in a doctors office waiting room or on the shitter.

I generally think Italian food should go one of two ways..

The sauce can’t be replicated at culinary school. I promise you when you taste a place that has a balance of contrasting flavors, that’s almost always secret info that’s been handed down. This is where chef owned places fall short. Culinary schools teach baking very well. Sauce not at all.

if you’re gonna go inauthentic to Italian American (where often times, like Mexican food, the sauce is from family recipes going back to the old country), just go with something that hits the spot. When people think non Italian pizza is good, it’s usually cause they use meats with high fat content so what the person is saying is “that hit the spot”.. I’m fine with that. I love me a taco pizza or a bbq chicken pizza. I eat Hawaiian pizza and pickle pizza.. those people aren’t even trying to compete with Italians. I like it all.

Good pizza sauce is hard to make. Good sausage is everywhere you turn. I don’t know why that is. A lot of times when people say they had a great pizza at bob’s pizza heaven… it’s a sausage pizza. That’s fine. They’re saying it hit the spot.

The only thing I know about Mexican food is that I can’t get enough of it.

I watched a show once on the best ramen in Japan.. I can’t imagine the broth could ever be replicated here.
What do you think about Fazoli’s ?

• Haha
Reactions: Chi-Boiler
What do you think about Fazoli’s ?
I hate it but.. I don’t know why.. I’ll eat little caesars. I’m not saying it’s good but I’m always down for a five dollar holler

when I think American food Indiana is a great state for food native to Indiana and the surrounding central areas of states. Pork tenderloin sandwiches are the bomb. I’m sure pie came with the Europeans but those Indiana sugar pies.. man.

What do I know about it? Not a damn thing other than I love eatin it.

It can’t be pay for play.. that’s why I think like with pack you’re seeing $400k each year. So they could maybe cut him before next year but he’d get the $400k for this year even if he sucked.

look at Quinn ewers. Not sure how his Ohio state deal was structured but he had to have gotten some money even for doing nothing.

I know some former big ten football players .. as acquaintances.. they are in laws and close friends of my closest friend. Very conservative people just in the sense of they are usually good with the status quo. They went on to be successful in the job force. You bring this up to them and they get fired up immediately about how those guys deserve every last dollar they get. They won’t even here ideas about how harmful it could be. That’s how much they resent how things were set up when they played. And these were all big ten guys.
Curious....have you moved off of the "We need to pay minor players major money just in case" stance yet? Still at the tip of the iceberg on this but I think these schools and "collectives" are so busy chasing recruits and their own guys with NIL money that only the top 0.0001% is going to get poached (like a Jordan Addison). I think ultimately these collectives will hit the bottom of the well so far as $$$ is concerned. Not all, but some.

ADVERTISEMENT