ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Nell Fortner

She replaced former Boilermaker MaChelle Joseph after 16 years. Not exactly a pretty exit for Joseph. Sexual harassment claims against her and Title IX violation allegations by her against GT.

She replaced former Boilermaker MaChelle Joseph after 16 years. Not exactly a pretty exit for Joseph. Sexual harassment claims against her and Title IX violation allegations by her against GT.
Wasn't Joseph involved in the Lin Dunn mess?

That is total bullshit. Dunn was a problem and Purdue fired her ass.
That was in reference to Peck, not Dunn...

That said, while Dunn was "a problem", she was not fired I don't believe, she simply did not have her contract renewed (or, that is at least how said AD stated it). Even at that, nobody knew what a problem she was, and, if she was such a problem, why she was indeed not fired. Never mind that it was handled poorly regardless, and, it is what led to issues within the men's program as a result of how it was handled.

She followed Joseph and her less than eloquent departure from Purdue as well...second time now that she has come in on the heels of a mess in which Joseph was involved.

That said, while Dunn was "a problem", she was not fired I don't believe, she simply did not have her contract renewed (or, that is at least how said AD stated it). Even at that, nobody knew what a problem she was, and, if she was such a problem, why she was indeed not fired. Never mind that it was handled poorly regardless, and, it is what led to issues within the men's program as a result of how it was handled.
Mea culpa

Mea culpa
None needed...it was just a misunderstanding or something that you had misread...no big deal at all. The bigger issue though, as I alluded to, was the ramifications of "firing" Dunn, or, at least in handling her dismissal in the manner that it was. Water under the bridge now...

Because a certain AD refused to give her a pay bump after winning the National Championship.
Crazy how wrong you are about this. Even if you weren't in the know back in the day...this entire thing was covered extensively in the BTN's documentary on that national championship season. And two people liked your nonsense?!? Another example of how the internet can be a very bad source of info and confuse so many people. smdh

She had already taken the Orlando job BEFORE they won the National Championship...she took it before that season even had started actually.

That said, she might be available again in the near future...

Good gawwwd. The Burke Derangement Syndrome is completely out of control.

*rubbing chin, looking into the distance ... wondering if there's a vaccine...*

sorry, DAG, that is partially, but not completely true.

While it wasn't common knowledge what the "problem" was, (and I'm d@mn glad it WASN'T) not renewing Dunn's contract was in direct response to incidents that should have NEVER happened. The timing of contract renewal allowed the Purdue admin to "go in a different direction" without having to formally fire her and terminate a contract.

To be clear, Dunn was an incredible coach, but off the floor was a totally different story.

Reactions: tjreese and DAG10

While it wasn't common knowledge what the "problem" was, (and I'm d@mn glad it WASN'T) not renewing Dunn's contract was in direct response to incidents that should have NEVER happened. The timing of contract renewal allowed the Purdue admin to "go in a different direction" without having to formally fire her and terminate a contract.

To be clear, Dunn was an incredible coach, but off the floor was a totally different story.
That is fair certainly, but, it was handled very poorly...that was the perception from within, and, no doubt from the outside.

That is fair certainly, but, it was handled very poorly...that was the perception from within, and, no doubt from the outside.

Maybe. But, the entire University admin took the high road.

I kid you not.

There are some battles you're NEVER going to win in the press, and some you shouldn't even try. This, absolutely, was one of them. Had they tried, they quite possibly could have had a very different problem on their hands (other than the perception of it being handled poorly)... they could have been pulled into a nasty lawsuit.

No ... at that time, and to this day, I'm proud of my school for what they did, as well as how professionally they handled it.

So long ago - let's see if I can remember this right:
Dunn and Joseph were dating, right?
They got into a nasty break-up/fight, right?
Cops called, right?
Team basically had to choose sides, right?
Does that about cover it?

So long ago - let's see if I can remember this right:
Dunn and Joseph were dating, right?
They got into a nasty break-up/fight, right?
Cops called, right?
Team basically had to choose sides, right?
Does that about cover it?

I'm going to avoid details, but I will say this:

There's an old idiom ... "a pound of flesh" ... which means: a payment or punishment that involves suffering and sacrifice on the part of the person being punished.

The Men's team received a 2 year probation in the late 90's. That was a "pound of flesh" ... and it had nothing to do with the Men's team, and everything to do with making Purdue suffer.

What's more, doling out that suffering and sacrifice didn't solely come from the parties in question. It was payback by a governing body (and that last part is strictly my opinion).

Good gawwwd. The Burke Derangement Syndrome is completely out of control.

*rubbing chin, looking into the distance ... wondering if there's a vaccine...*
Certainly don't understand why you constantly defend Burke, but that's your choice. I know you won't let it go as others with a different view won't let it go either. It's a mindset that no one is going to change whether Burke was good or not so much.

Certainly don't understand why you constantly defend Burke, but that's your choice. I know you won't let it go as others with a different view won't let it go either. It's a mindset that no one is going to change whether Burke was good or not so much.
Not a fan of how Burke handled football with his silly “money ball” approach, but I think he handled WBB about as well as he could have. It’s not profitable, never has been as far as I can tell, and you can’t spend big money on coaching staffs as a result. You have to minimize the losses of the non profit sports, not “invest” in them.

Not a fan of how Burke handled football with his silly “money ball” approach, but I think he handled WBB about as well as he could have. It’s not profitable, never has been as far as I can tell, and you can’t spend big money on coaching staffs as a result. You have to minimize the losses of the non profit sports, not “invest” in them.
Burke should have never kept extending Versyp's contract. It was time many moons ago to cut bait.

Define "defend". I have NEVER defended Burke.

If you mean, I don't let unsubstantiated, speculative bullsh*t sit on the forum unchallenged?

Amen, brother.

If you mean, I don't let the mob through with their torches and pitchforks?

Amen, again, brother.

All I ask is that people use their brains the good Lord gave them, not the emotion of the moment.

I have my own .... FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-lings .... about Burke. Some good, some not so good. Big effin' deal.

You want to assassinate someone else's character? You want that to live on the forum? That's on you.

This ain't personal.

What is personal to me, is that I detest when people engage in public character assassination. Especially when they don't have a flippin' clue.

I hope that answers your question. But, I do take issue with your charge that I'm defending the man.

Define "defend". I have NEVER defended Burke.

If you mean, I don't let unsubstantiated, speculative bullsh*t sit on the forum unchallenged?

Amen, brother.

If you mean, I don't let the mob through with their torches and pitchforks?

Amen, again, brother.

All I ask is that people use their brains the good Lord gave them, not the emotion of the moment.

I have my own .... FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-lings .... about Burke. Some good, some not so good. Big effin' deal.

You want to assassinate someone else's character? You want that to live on the forum? That's on you.

This ain't personal.

What is personal to me, is that I detest when people engage in public character assassination. Especially when they don't have a flippin' clue.

I hope that answers your question. But, I do take issue with your charge that I'm defending the man.
I guess defend was the wrong word. Maybe respond to a negative post or thought about Burke would be more accurate.

Burke should have never kept extending Versyp's contract. It was time many moons ago to cut bait.

Okay, here's an example of me NOT defending him, but attempting to deal in reality.

Burke left 8/31/16.

Here are Versyp's results up to that point:

2006–07 Purdue 31-6 14-2 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2007–08 Purdue 19-15 11-7 T-3rd NCAA 2nd Round
2008–09 Purdue 25-11 13-5 T-2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2009–10 Purdue 15-17 9-9 5th WNIT Second Round
2010–11 Purdue 21-12 9-7 7th NCAA 2nd Round
2011–12 Purdue 25-9 11-5 T-2nd NCAA 2nd Round
2012–13 Purdue 25-9 10-6 4th NCAA 2nd Round
2013–14 Purdue 22-9 11-5 T-4th NCAA 2nd Round
2014–15 Purdue 11-20 3-15 T-13th
2015–16 Purdue 20-12 10-8 6th NCAA 1st Round

When did you want him to fire her?

You want him to fire a coach finishing 4th in the B1G?

Or, after that one bad season in '14-'15?

And, if you're b*tchin' about Burke... is Bobinski WORSE? Because, she still here!

I guess defend was the wrong word. Maybe respond to a negative post or thought about Burke would be more accurate.

Sounds like you think we should just irrationally criticize people.

Every time .... EVERY time I've responded, the criticism has been ad hominem.

It's crude. It's unseemly. It's moronic.

And, if someone did the same to me, I would appreciate someone being rational and standing up for the truth.

If I have NOT stated something truthful, correct me. I notice that's not your complaint...

Okay, here's an example of me NOT defending him, but attempting to deal in reality.

Burke left 8/31/16.

Here are Versyp's results up to that point:

2006–07 Purdue 31-6 14-2 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2007–08 Purdue 19-15 11-7 T-3rd NCAA 2nd Round
2008–09 Purdue 25-11 13-5 T-2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2009–10 Purdue 15-17 9-9 5th WNIT Second Round
2010–11 Purdue 21-12 9-7 7th NCAA 2nd Round
2011–12 Purdue 25-9 11-5 T-2nd NCAA 2nd Round
2012–13 Purdue 25-9 10-6 4th NCAA 2nd Round
2013–14 Purdue 22-9 11-5 T-4th NCAA 2nd Round
2014–15 Purdue 11-20 3-15 T-13th
2015–16 Purdue 20-12 10-8 6th NCAA 1st Round

When did you want him to fire her?

You want him to fire a coach finishing 4th in the B1G?

Or, after that one bad season in '14-'15?

And, if you're b*tchin' about Burke... is Bobinski WORSE? Because, she still here!
She's still here because Burke extended her contract before he retired. I have not seen Versyp win a conference championship in 13 years. Purdue was a national power before Versyp and now not so much to put it mildly.

Last edited:
She's still here because Burke extended her contract before he retired. I have not seen Versyp's win a conference championship in 13 years. Purdue was a national power before Versyp's and now not so much to put it mildly.

Got it.

Coaches get fired all the time when they're still in contract. Happens every year.

Now it looks like you're defending Bobinski....

;)

Edit:

By the way, I agree with your position on Versyp.

Maybe. But if you’re not going to spend more money on a new coach (and I for one wouldn’t) are you going to get a better one for the same price?

Maybe. But if you’re not going to spend more money on a new coach (and I for one wouldn’t) are you going to get a better one for the same price?
I really believe Purdue could get a better coach than Versyp's for $600,000 a year plus perks or a little less.

Reactions: DAG10
I really believe Purdue could get a better coach than Versyp's for $600,000 a year plus perks or a little less.
Maybe. I don’t know the WBB market.

I think MBob is marshalling the AD resources to rebuild football at the moment, which was his mandate coming in. Maybe when that gets done, you address men’s hoops, and then if there’s any money left over look at women’s hoops.

ADVERTISEMENT