ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ND's Swarbrick and D1 realignment

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Curious about others' thoughts on this.

He predicts a realignment of D1 programs based on those who are closely integrated with the school and those that operate more independently.

In a wide-ranging interview with SI, the only athletic director who is part of the College Football Playoff Management Committee said the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

(1) No surprise that Swarbrick considers Notre Dame as part of the first group. This is a move that would absolutely benefit them, essentially eliminating competition from the SEC.
(2) Effect on Purdue.. Obviously would follow the first group as well. Also probably benefits in the long run from a competitive point of view. But one can't help but wonder what happens to the B1G and revenue to programs like Purdue if the B1G were to fracture over this. OSU, UM, PSU at a minimum would likely follow the SEC and take their money with.
(3) Effect on NIL.. There is an an argument to be made than any student athlete wishing to get paid could simply go to a school in the second group, and the first group could return to a more strict/traditional approach to amateur status.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/23/notre-dame-jack-swarbrick-division-1-change

Curious about others' thoughts on this.

He predicts a realignment of D1 programs based on those who are closely integrated with the school and those that operate more independently.

In a wide-ranging interview with SI, the only athletic director who is part of the College Football Playoff Management Committee said the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

(1) No surprise that Swarbrick considers Notre Dame as part of the first group. This is a move that would absolutely benefit them, essentially eliminating competition from the SEC.
(2) Effect on Purdue.. Obviously would follow the first group as well. Also probably benefits in the long run from a competitive point of view. But one can't help but wonder what happens to the B1G and revenue to programs like Purdue if the B1G were to fracture over this. OSU, UM, PSU at a minimum would likely follow the SEC and take their money with.
(3) Effect on NIL.. There is an an argument to be made than any student athlete wishing to get paid could simply go to a school in the second group, and the first group could return to a more strict/traditional approach to amateur status.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/23/notre-dame-jack-swarbrick-division-1-change
Probably the minority opinion, but for it. You'd also have to have some rules about leaving the education side for the sports side, or you'd just become another feeder for the sports/pay side.

I think he is right in his opinion on the split of the Div 1 basically creating a minor leagues of players for the NBA, NFL and maybe MLB. Since they won't be in NCAA they will not have to go to school and follow any other NCAA rules. Those that opt not to break away without NIL money will play under the new version of the "old rules"

I think he is right in his opinion on the split of the Div 1 basically creating a minor leagues of players for the NBA, NFL and maybe MLB. Since they won't be in NCAA they will not have to go to school and follow any other NCAA rules. Those that opt not to break away without NIL money will play under the new version of the "old rules"
And you may need to burn down the NCAA in the process.

Probably the minority opinion, but for it. You'd also have to have some rules about leaving the education side for the sports side, or you'd just become another feeder for the sports/pay side.
I've always wondered why this hasn't happened already. I used to kind of fear the situation (and the likelihood that Purdue athletics would not be in the more prestigious 'minor league' group), but I'm at peace with it now, after the realization I'm more in it for pride in Purdue than some sort of athletic excellence. If Purdue wins the Solar Race, I'm happy about it. :D

ADVERTISEMENT