ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Michigan struggling against Nebraska

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
It is half time and they scored only 22 points shooting an ice cold 3/11 from 3. Down by 11 at Nebraska. This is surprising considering they went on the road and beat MSU. Purdue could really use 4 ranked teams in the Big and that means the big boys got to win all of the winnable games, even on the road. This would not be a good loss for the Big, but there is plenty of time for Michigan to get hot and right the ship.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
For as much as Michigan is a bad matchup for us based on style and particular matchups, Nebraska matches up well with Michigan.

Nebraska has athletic and agile bigs that aren't as tall as Wagner, but they seem to neutralize him. Nebraska plays good pressure D and Michigan's offense isn't flowing well because of that pressure D.

Nebraska also seems to run better offense at home and get contributions from a nice diversity of guys.

Michigan is a young team, not surprised by their inconsistent play. If Matthews and Wagner stay, they will be really good next year.

Those youngsters on Michigan are finding out what it's like to play on the road in the Big Ten.

Nebraska has a pretty good chance to make the NCAA tourney. Looking at their remaining B1G schedule, it's mostly lower half teams that they should beat. They can finish 7-3 in their remaining games or better and be 21-10 going into B1G tourney.

how does the same team only beat illinois by one and then crush michigan by 20? crazy season

Nebraska has a pretty good chance to make the NCAA tourney. Looking at their remaining B1G schedule, it's mostly lower half teams that they should beat. They can finish 7-3 in their remaining games or better and be 21-10 going into B1G tourney.
I expect at least 5 teams from the Big...even with the injuries and some teams not being as good as the perceptions prefer. I expect, Purdue, OSU, MSU, Mich and Nebraska and will see how it plays out for Maryland and IU as to whether they can make a run at the end, but won't be surprised with the five mentioned. I even expect 5 for next year as well before the first game is played...

The problem with Nebraska is they have bad losses. They lost to St. John's, UCF, Penn State. In an overall down year for the Big Ten (the bottom 2/3 is just not good), I don't know if around 20 wins gets you in the tournament with some of those bad losses. And I'd suspect they will have at least one more this season (they barely beat Illinois at home).

The other thing is that they beat Michigan - I don't know if that'll end up being a "signature" win. They beat Minnesota when they were ranked, but obviously that is not going to look that impressive this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT