ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Larry Nassar

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
I'll admit I haven't followed his case fully but is anyone surprise that msu hasn't been under the microscope of the NCAA?

I'll admit I haven't followed his case fully but is anyone surprise that msu hasn't been under the microscope of the NCAA?
I have been following the sentencing with victim impact statements - this is just wild that it was allowed to happen. I am sure MSU never covered up anything else like this before....

Will be interesting to see when if are forced to go back and review all their Title IX reports since they clearly lied on the one for Nassar.

The number of people calling for their President to resign are growing by the day. The lawsuit against MSU and USAG doesn't look good either.

MSU would appear to be guilty of the lack of institutional control that Penn State had. Makes it easier to understand how Whizzo's boys have skated since the they're only miscreants in comparison to Nasser.

Reactions: ChuckJr and DG10
Good for Lynn. Glad she put Izzo in his place. What a moronic statement: "I hope the right person was convicted" Duh?! There is no question. I guess this is Izzo just trying too hard to be politically correct and loyal towards the university, who knows. Maybe it was a case of engaging his mouth before engaging his brain. Never been a big fan of Izzo anyway.

It was a completely tone-deaf statement. One of the articles said that the MSU president and several others (up to 10-15 people) could lose their job over this.

Reactions: DG10
He said two paragraphs full of the right things and then stepped into something at the end with a generic statement that sounds like an appropriate thing to say 99% of the time, and he may have even been coached by legal council to say at some point, but it did not fit the circumstances at all. A guy who's been high public profile for that long shouldn't be making those types of gaffes, but then again I think it is a stretch to put Izzo in the middle of this scandal in the first place. The men's basketball coach has nothing to do with female doctor visits, unless for some reason a victim came to him and he did not report.
I'm no Izzo apologist, but this isn't about him. To draw a parallel between Izzo crying for recruits or being too lax on player discipline and what this monster did is borderline offensive to the victims of these heinous crimes.

Reactions: TheGunner
He said two paragraphs full of the right things and then stepped into something at the end with a generic statement that sounds like an appropriate thing to say 99% of the time, and he may have even been coached by legal council to say at some point, but it did not fit the circumstances at all. A guy who's been high public profile for that long shouldn't be making those types of gaffes, but then again I think it is a stretch to put Izzo in the middle of this scandal in the first place. The men's basketball coach has nothing to do with female doctor visits, unless for some reason a victim came to him and he did not report.
I'm no Izzo apologist, but this isn't about him. To draw a parallel between Izzo crying for recruits or being too lax on player discipline and what this monster did is borderline offensive to the victims.
It's about the culture at MSU and how for years female victims have been ignored. Izzo is a huge part of that culture.

It's about the culture at MSU and how for years female victims have been ignored. Izzo is a huge part of that culture.
Izzo is a huge part of culture at MSU. Is he responsible for a child molester enabling culture? I've not seen that claim made by any of the victims, and I'm not willing to take that shot myself without evidence.
No offense, but it seems a little too convenient for some of us to hope that Izzo has some of this blood on his hands. As big as this is, surely there is plenty to go around. Believe me, those thoughts have crossed my mind, too. But that isn't justice, no matter how much we dislike the guy.

Reactions: chaspark
Izzo is a huge part of culture at MSU. Is he responsible for a child molester enabling culture? I've not seen that claim made by any of the victims, and I'm not willing to take that shot myself without evidence.
No offense, but it seems a little too convenient for some of us to hope that Izzo has some of this blood on his hands. As big as this is, surely there is plenty to go around. Believe me, those thoughts have crossed my mind, too. But that isn't justice, no matter how much we dislike the guy.
Let me know when you catch up.

Let me know when you catch up.
I've got to side with Heller on this one. Just google the allegations against some of his players during his tenure. None of those allegations went anywhere. Now I would normally give all the benefit of the doubt as I am not privy to the investigations, but after seeing what went on with the football team and this gymnastics doctor, it's hard not to conclude that the MSU administration just doesn't feel the safety and well being of certain females is as important as the University image and that of it's income generating sports. Now, why do you think Izzo wants to steadfastly stand behind this administration? He is part of the problem.

I've got to side with Heller on this one. Just google the allegations against some of his players during his tenure. None of those allegations went anywhere. Now I would normally give all the benefit of the doubt as I am not privy to the investigations, but after seeing what went on with the football team and this gymnastics doctor, it's hard not to conclude that the MSU administration just doesn't feel the safety and well being of certain females is as important as the University image and that of it's income generating sports. Now, why do you think Izzo wants to steadfastly stand behind this administration? He is part of the problem.
Izzo a part of a larger cultural problem I can buy. Personally responsible is another can of worms. Whoever knew something and did nothing needs to burn with Nassar. Whether that is a university president or coach or doctor or parent.

Reactions: chaspark
Izzo a part of a larger cultural problem I can buy. Personally responsible is another can of worms. Whoever knew something and did nothing needs to burn with Nassar. Whether that is a university president or coach or doctor or parent.
And at no point has anyone said he is culpable in this particular instance. However Basketball (men's) and football often set the culture of an entire athletic department. Izzo doesn't set an example of how to protect those who are vulnerable.

Reactions: chaspark and DG10
I'm just surprised nothing has happened to msu considering what happened to psu.
Will try to post an interview with one of the MSU trustees. Said their 5 hour board meeting last Friday Nassar was only discussed for maybe 30 minutes.

I think they are opening a can of worms by asking the State AG to get involved to do another investigation. Might bring about scrutiny on previous Title IX investigations. They did one on Nassar and said they didn’t find anything.

Will try to post an interview with one of the MSU trustees. Said their 5 hour board meeting last Friday Nassar was only discussed for maybe 30 minutes.

I think they are opening a can of worms by asking the State AG to get involved to do another investigation. Might bring about scrutiny on previous Title IX investigations. They did one on Nassar and said they didn’t find anything.
Here are a few quotes from that trustee:

Ferguson said discussing Simon was only 10 minutes of the trustees’ gathering that took place for several hours behind closed doors on Friday.

“There are so many more things going on at the university than just this Nassar thing,” Trustee Joel Ferguson told Tim Staudt on Monday for his Lansing area radio show on WVFN-AM.

“I think the young ladies who’ve been wronged by this person and I think in the case ... you can never abuse money to make over people’s pain and suffering ... but there’s gonna be something happening in their favor,” he said. “I think when people find out that this person was on an island by himself, I think they’ll move on and we’ll keep the university moving with the president we have.”

There is the culture in a nutshell. "this Nassar thing" is just not that big of deal.

Oh, and after police investigated a complaint in 2015 against Nassar, they recommended charges of "Criminal Sexual Misconduct including a Sexually Inappropriate Medical Treatment". The Ingham Co. Prosecutor declined to bring charges. The prosecutor is none other than......Stuart Dunning. If you followed the case against a couple of MSU basketball players awhile back, you would know that name. He also declined to prosecute in that case against the recommendations of the police.

Ferguson said discussing Simon was only 10 minutes of the trustees’ gathering that took place for several hours behind closed doors on Friday.

“There are so many more things going on at the university than just this Nassar thing,” Trustee Joel Ferguson told Tim Staudt on Monday for his Lansing area radio show on WVFN-AM.

“I think the young ladies who’ve been wronged by this person and I think in the case ... you can never abuse money to make over people’s pain and suffering ... but there’s gonna be something happening in their favor,” he said. “I think when people find out that this person was on an island by himself, I think they’ll move on and we’ll keep the university moving with the president we have.”

There is the culture in a nutshell. "this Nassar thing" is just not that big of deal.

Oh, and after police investigated a complaint in 2015 against Nassar, they recommended charges of "Criminal Sexual Misconduct including a Sexually Inappropriate Medical Treatment". The Ingham Co. Prosecutor declined to bring charges. The prosecutor is none other than......Stuart Dunning. If you followed the case against a couple of MSU basketball players awhile back, you would know that name. He also declined to prosecute in that case against the recommendations of the police.

wow what a twisted web there.
no wonder the prosecuter wasn't big on charges.
he just served a year on 15 prostitution charges.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ormer-prosecutor-dunnings-sentenced/94285114/

One of my very good friends was the CEO of a large supplier of off-road axles and transmissions to Cat and other similar large equipment manufacturers. They released a new product that was quite popular and sold well. After a few months, this product began breaking. After an internal inquiry, it was determined that an engineer in the testing and Q&A area had not noted that this product was prone to breaking. My friend had no idea, nor did the COO. The company issued a huge recall, took good care of their clients, other than the downtime to replace the faulty parts. About three months after the dust had settled, my friend returned to his office after lunch to find the parent-company corporate attorney waiting with several cardboard boxes and was told to pack his things, he was fired. The cultural buck stops at the top and trickles down.

I also feel strongly that a company culture is totally a reflection of the top down. If the CEO does not prioritize customer service, neither will the COO, neither will the supervisors, and neither will the team leaders.

Direct responsibility is not relevant at all. Period.

Another trustee has come out and said it was the majority topic of the meeting. What a cluster. Simon is done.

Another trustee has come out and said it was the majority topic of the meeting. What a cluster. Simon is done.
Are you talking about Mosallam?

Not a good look that you have two trustees publicly disagreeing on what happened during the meeting.

I'm no Izzo apologist, but this isn't about him. To draw a parallel between Izzo crying for recruits or being too lax on player discipline and what this monster did is borderline offensive to the victims of these heinous crimes.

He does however have a part to play with all those sexual abuse claims against MSU basketball players in the last 10-15 years... People have been talking about it for years. The question is has MSU chosen to ignore or shrug off those accusations with no or quasi investigations the same way that university has with Nassar.

If one ( not saying Izzo was aware...Just general statement) is aware of something like this and chooses NOT to be part of the solution then they are most definitely part of the problem...And it appears this is a common theme in MSU’s Atheletic Department. Find it hard to believe that neither of MSU’s income producing Sports had heard nothing about this stuff during their tenures...especially with all the accusations against their players. This is sadly really becoming a common theme in the MSU Athletic Department...

Are you talking about Mosallam?

Not a good look that you have two trustees publicly disagreeing on what happened during the meeting.
I believe so. Simon was the most vocal critic of PSU in the conference. And now she suddenly seems to think she’s immune to what happened on her watch. That’s my beef with this.

It was a completely tone-deaf statement. One of the articles said that the MSU president and several others (up to 10-15 people) could lose their job over this.

Judging from their comments, several BOD should lose their jobs, but who is going to start that process?

Reactions: ChuckJr
Judging from their comments, several BOD should lose their jobs, but who is going to start that process?
You would hope that at least one would have the dignity to resign but then again you had the Vice Chairman refer to this as “that Nassar thing”.

Gonna go with no one

You would hope that at least one would have the dignity to resign but then again you had the Vice Chairman refer to this as “that Nassar thing”.

Gonna go with no one

I just read where the democratic leader of the Michigan House of Reps and former alumni is stating that the BOD is also part of the problem, so there is hope!!

I just read where the democratic leader of the Michigan House of Reps and former alumni is stating that the BOD is also part of the problem, so there is hope!!
Well and Joel Ferguson has since issued an apology for his statements. I believe we call this a Freudian slip. Did some reading on Ferguson, seems like a lot of folks in the area feel like he is a scum bag. He has been accused of racketerring as recently as 2016.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...198001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Reactions: ChuckJr
Reports that she’s done. They are trying to find an interim outside the school.

And I believe the trustees are elected and could potentially be removed by the legislature.

ADVERTISEMENT