ADVERTISEMENT

OT Family shame

Feb 16, 2012
My daughter is starting at IU this fall. Her 13 year old brother won't stop razing her about that decision and has worn Purdue gear to her graduation party and at IU and in Bloomington at her freshman orientation. He watches all the Purdue games with me and hopes to play for a former Purdue basketball player in a few years. My question is should I tell him to knock it off or help him with his put downs?

My daughter is starting at IU this fall. Her 13 year old brother won't stop razing her about that decision and has worn Purdue gear to her graduation party and at IU and in Bloomington at her freshman orientation. He watches all the Purdue games with me and hopes to play for a former Purdue basketball player in a few years. My question is should I tell him to knock it off or help him with his put downs?
POTFH!! He needs to learn no more!!!

Reactions: Schnelk
tell him to knock it off. Indiana has some very reputable academic programs that Purdue does not offer. Indiana has a fine music school, business , law, education, medical, optometry, and many other programs of study. It also has Mama Bears.

it's much the same way with Michigan, Northwestern, UW, and the remaining BIG 10 schools, and even Notre Dame. Purdue has a great Ag, Engineering, Computer Science, Vet, Management, Pharmacy school, and many other academic programs that a student should be proud of.

but the idea of teaching people to hate another school, just because it's different is like our relationship and also fear of other countries like Russia. and also why Democrats and republicans are always badgering each other and can't seem to find a way to put their one upsmanship behind the m and find a way to work together. Sometimes our political leaders vote against the will of the people and the good of the country just because a bill/proposal was made by the opposite party. Sometimes their only 4 year objective is to defeat the current president or at least make him/her look bad.

the rivalries/bullying/hatred needs to stop.

I don't think he has hatred, or is bullying people of IU. I think that's a cry of attention.

If your skin is so thin that a few words hurt your feelings, then you are a weak individual, and there should be no pity for you.

This is a kid that came from a family full of Purdue fans. If your sibling goes to its arch-rival school, you then open yourself up to enormous amounts of humiliation, embarrassment, and of course, trolling (which seems to be this case). Let the kid continue to troll. It's great for his sense of humor, and hers.

At the end of the day, IU is a really good school and provides some very good programs. But, a correctly raised kid will put all that aside and love his sibling no less and would do anything for her. Except stop trolling her for that decision; that should never cease.

Reactions: tjreese
Stay out of it, it’s normal sibling banter!

I have no advice not knowing the situation that led to this, but love her anyway. You aren't the first parent that wondered WTF his or her child was doing. ;)

tell him to knock it off. Indiana has some very reputable academic programs that Purdue does not offer. Indiana has a fine music school, business , law, education, medical, optometry, and many other programs of study. It also has Mama Bears.

it's much the same way with Michigan, Northwestern, UW, and the remaining BIG 10 schools, and even Notre Dame. Purdue has a great Ag, Engineering, Computer Science, Vet, Management, Pharmacy school, and many other academic programs that a student should be proud of.

but the idea of teaching people to hate another school, just because it's different is like our relationship and also fear of other countries like Russia. and also why Democrats and republicans are always badgering each other and can't seem to find a way to put their one upsmanship behind the m and find a way to work together. Sometimes our political leaders vote against the will of the people and the good of the country just because a bill/proposal was made by the opposite party. Sometimes their only 4 year objective is to defeat the current president or at least make him/her look bad.

lighten up Francis

I can agree with this take. Being an IU fan, of course I talk badly about Purdue athletics, it's what rivals do. However, there is no reason to put someone down for choosing the academic institution that is right for them. My family is all IU fans, and I have been an IU fan since I can remember caring about sports. However, as I grew up I realized I had an interest in Engineering. I knew that a Purdue Engineering degree was the best thing for my career, so that's what I did. Sure, my family got in a few playful pokes here and there, that's expected, but overall they supported me and understood. They were never boisterous about it or rude about it in the least. Even I joke about it sometimes, how I don't like Purdue athletics but I withstood the school long enough to get the degree I wanted, and now disown them again. :)

All in all, it's perfectly normal to joke and tease your daughter from time to time about it, but if it gets to the point of aggravating her or being rude, that's not necessary. Both schools have great programs in different disciplines, it all depends what you're looking for. But when it comes to basketball....go Hoosiers! :)

Let them go. Make sure it doesn't go too far. But proudly wear a "IU Dad" shirt any time you are visiting her/picking her up/any time you think your son has gotten a little carried away. With a Purdue hat on your head, of course.

Reactions: SwingAndSwear
Let them go. Make sure it doesn't go too far. But proudly wear a "IU Dad" shirt any time you are visiting her/picking her up/any time you think your son has gotten a little carried away. With a Purdue hat on your head, of course.
Is this a symbolic gesture where his heart allows a shirt, but his brain is much closer to Purdue?

I told her I would wear a IU dad shirt when she graduates but not in mixed company. I am starting to get a little worried about the youngest boy( 11 years) with his sisters influence and him taking basketball lessons from a former Iowa basketball player. Also both boys go to a school called the Irish.

Tell her you never should have adopted her in the first place.

:cool:

Nonsense POTFH

IU sucks

Let's start a Go Fund Me for him for lot's of new Purdue clothes.

The serious question will he file child abuse charges against you for letting his sister go to IU.

I can agree with this take. Being an IU fan, of course I talk badly about Purdue athletics, it's what rivals do. However, there is no reason to put someone down for choosing the academic institution that is right for them. My family is all IU fans, and I have been an IU fan since I can remember caring about sports. However, as I grew up I realized I had an interest in Engineering. I knew that a Purdue Engineering degree was the best thing for my career, so that's what I did. Sure, my family got in a few playful pokes here and there, that's expected, but overall they supported me and understood. They were never boisterous about it or rude about it in the least. Even I joke about it sometimes, how I don't like Purdue athletics but I withstood the school long enough to get the degree I wanted, and now disown them again. :)

All in all, it's perfectly normal to joke and tease your daughter from time to time about it, but if it gets to the point of aggravating her or being rude, that's not necessary. Both schools have great programs in different disciplines, it all depends what you're looking for. But when it comes to basketball....go Hoosiers! :)
You must have been brain washed as child to go to Purdue, graduate as an engineer, and not only not be a Purdue fan (at least slightly) but instead be a loyal IU fan, especially when Purdue in the last 10 years has been a far more palatable, competitive, and likeable team.

You should change your avatar to Buzz killington from Family Guy.

You must have been brain washed as child to go to Purdue, graduate as an engineer, and not only not be a Purdue fan (at least slightly) but instead be a loyal IU fan, especially when Purdue in the last 10 years has been a far more palatable, competitive, and likeable team.

Well, I grew up watching IU ever since I can remember. First big memory I have of IU ball is watching them beat #1 seed Duke in 2002 and go on to the national championship game. I remember running and screaming around my house when Williams missed that free throw and Boozer couldn't put it back in after what seemed like 15 tries. No part of that excitement has ever waned, even through down years. I am glad to have a Purdue Engineering degree, but that's where any sense of liking them stops. I don't know, I wasn't a huge fan of Crean, but I definitely enjoyed watching a couple BIG championships and Sweet 16's the last 5 years or so. Of course I want more, and have high hopes that Archie can take them there.

I guess your probanly a bit older than me. I can see liking them then, I was 12 in 2002. But since just seems like there hasnt been much to like about their program, amd trying to be unbiased here. Purdue way more respectable program, I would think you would at least like both teams.

10? how about mostly the last 20 to 25 years?

This guy, ^^^^, not cut from the same cloth as Todd Foster..

I would allow it so long as it stays within athletic teasing. Keep reminding your daughter she's doing big things and you're very proud of the fact she's a college student pursuing her dreams. Have your son stick to sports imo.

Now what Im avout to say may never happen but - There may very well come a time one day this fall your daughter is going to get really homesick and frustrated with her workload or maybe even question if she made the right decision/is doing the right thing and shes potentially going to reach out to you guys. The last thing she's going to want to hear in the background of the phone call is her brother making fun her school and implying she made such a horrible choice going to Indiana in that vulnerable state.

So stick to sports - and btw - Purdues so much better in both sports currently that it should be easy to get laughs there anyways.

I guess I should come clean. My real allegiance and alma mater is UTSA...….. and SIU, and USF and GSU and AUM and ST Petersburg College and John A Logan College, and Rend Lake College. When you have degrees from multiple colleges/universities and work for different colleges, you tend to lose the desire to hate other colleges and the rivalries seem meaningless.

Although my son beat both IU's and Purdue's decathletes last year ! my fist was pumped that day in Bloomington.

Well, I grew up watching IU ever since I can remember. First big memory I have of IU ball is watching them beat #1 seed Duke in 2002 and go on to the national championship game. I remember running and screaming around my house when Williams missed that free throw and Boozer couldn't put it back in after what seemed like 15 tries. No part of that excitement has ever waned, even through down years. I am glad to have a Purdue Engineering degree, but that's where any sense of liking them stops. I don't know, I wasn't a huge fan of Crean, but I definitely enjoyed watching a couple BIG championships and Sweet 16's the last 5 years or so. Of course I want more, and have high hopes that Archie can take them there.
I was the exact opposite: I grew up in Southern Indiana an avid IU fan. Went to school at Purdue to get a degree in Engineering and even though I liked IU, I perceived Purdue to be much more serious about academics and IU was where you went to party (if you weren't going to be a doctor or a lawyer).

Took me about 2 months to convert totally to a Purdue fan dumping all things Hoosier along the way. Personally, I cannot understand how you could go to school somewhere and not become a fan. You missed out a lot on the college experience.

I guess your probanly a bit older than me. I can see liking them then, I was 12 in 2002. But since just seems like there hasnt been much to like about their program, amd trying to be unbiased here. Purdue way more respectable program, I would think you would at least like both teams.

Barely, I was 13 in 2002. Yeah, it hasn’t been an incredible bunch of years since then, but there have been great seasons to enjoy along the way, and I’m excited about the future of the program. If I ever stop getting excited in May, just because I can’t wait for IU basketball to start again in the fall, then I’ll know something’s wrong. haha

I was the exact opposite: I grew up in Southern Indiana an avid IU fan. Went to school at Purdue to get a degree in Engineering and even though I liked IU, I perceived Purdue to be much more serious about academics and IU was where you went to party (if you weren't going to be a doctor or a lawyer).

Took me about 2 months to convert totally to a Purdue fan dumping all things Hoosier along the way. Personally, I cannot understand how you could go to school somewhere and not become a fan. You missed out a lot on the college experience.

Well, the difference is that I wasn't at West Lafayette. I have a Purdue degree, but from Purdue Fort Wayne. I'm from Fort Wayne, stayed at home during college to save money, so I didn't have the WL experience like you did. Still don't think that would have changed my allegiance though, I'm Hoosier to the core.

Well, the difference is that I wasn't at West Lafayette. I have a Purdue degree, but from Purdue Fort Wayne. I'm from Fort Wayne, stayed at home during college to save money, so I didn't have the WL experience like you did. Still don't think that would have changed my allegiance though, I'm Hoosier to the core.
It may or may not, but the college experience is something most that went away cherish. In my limited exposure people that go to extensions and such view the extension as a place to take classes only...not near the feeling of home, as felt when going to campus. Anyway, I think that as much as anything separates you on the sports scene, but that is okay.

ADVERTISEMENT