ADVERTISEMENT

OT elimination of some college sports teams

Central Michigan is now in an interesting situation. With the elimination of a sport, they fall below the minimum requirements to be considered division 1. The NCAA will likely grant them a waiver due to the COVID situation, but they may need to add a new sport in the future or risk losing division 1 status.

some include

akron
men cross country
men golf
women tennis

east carolina
men/women tennis
men/women swimming & diving

central michigan
men indoor & outdoor track

bowling green
baseball

running list
https://dknation.draftkings.com/202...s-non-revenue-teams-coronavirus-covid-19-ncaa
Non graduating members on those teams keep their scholarships or do they lose them?

Of course, several will probably try to transfer to other schools to continue to play, but some may want to graduate from a particular school. I am assuming in this special case they could transfer and be eligible immediately?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...l-financial-wreckage-due-coronavirus-pandemic

I read this article this morning that was pretty on point to the discussion. Even in a best case scenario, revenue is going to be WAAAAY down. And that kind of crap has a tendency to roll down hill. Some FCS & D2 schools are going to get extra whacked by this.

D3 schools will hurt a ton by loss of gate revenue and what's going to end up being a high cost of ensuring player health. I wouldn't be surprised to see D3 and maybe even D2 take the year off because they don't get that TV money like the big boys.

I feel bad for those affected. I wonder if there is an opportunity for e-sports to come in and fill some revenue gaps? You know it is only a matter of time anyway, and the pandemic is accelerating virtual activity. Why not get in on some of that (social distance-proof) action. This is something I could see the B1G taking the lead on, since we are mostly indoors for 6 months anyway. A future where geek sports help fund the jock sports.. Lol, it might just be crazy enough to work.

Reactions: Wolegib
I feel bad for those affected. I wonder if there is an opportunity for e-sports to come in and fill some revenue gaps? You know it is only a matter of time anyway, and the pandemic is accelerating virtual activity. Why not get in on some of that (social distance-proof) action. This is something I could see the B1G taking the lead on, since we are mostly indoors for 6 months anyway. A future where geek sports help fund the jock sports.. Lol, it might just be crazy enough to work.

giphy.gif

I can just imagine the training table. Just a spread of Cheetos & Mt. Dew.

Until Bama comes along trying to attract the kids with campus tours of the Taco Bell buffet spread.

I challenge you to a Hero Wars duel !

ADVERTISEMENT