ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dickinson reportedly getting 4 mil to play at Kansas.

Painter doesn’t need to step into the grey area and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t as he has been chastised on this board by those like yourself for not doing it.
What you fail to grasp is that it’s public knowledge that Purdue Alliance had a goal of $6 million raised for NIL. Recruits see this without Painter needing to comment on it. Now as to what the football coach said, do you not think that if that $6 mil number was $18 mil then that would improve recruiting? He doesn’t have to use NIL to recruit as what’s known publicly does that job without him needing to break rules.

The coaches don’t have to use NIL as a recurring tool. Recruits see these numbers, as well as reports of Edey making a million, or the fact that every member of the team has ann opportunity to receive a chunk of this cache. All of this happens without Painter saying a word or violating rules.

It’s really pretty simple yet somehow you fail to grasp it. I think you are, for one a Painter hater, so you find fault in anything he does amd in this case, things he doesn’t do. Secondly, I think you are so obsessed with yourself and your own opinion that since you have no problem being a cheater, then you try to convince others that it’s right to cheat just because you yourself don’t have the scruples to do what’s right.

Sad world you live in Bone. I’m not sure you even realize that being as successful as you portray on here is an empty victory if you yourself did what you feel Painter should do such as playing in the grey areas, or what’s commonly known as cheating.

Again, I think you're being very naive if you think Painter or Walters isn't involved between NIL and the recruit/players.
The two are not working independently of each other. Of course Painter's not going to come out and say "Yeh, we offered Catchings $1M year in NIL and that convinced him to sign with Purdue".

But Coach Walters specifically said it would help in recruiting.
If a coach tells a recruit "Hey, come to Purdue. We have a NIL warchest of $10M".
Is the coach saying "Hey, come to Purdue and see if you can get yourself some of these NIL deals, but we can't help you do so as a coaching staff?"

Again, I know you think or wish Purdue runs the cleanest program in the country, but I think that's wishful thinking.
See Purduepete's response above (#79). He gets it, you don't.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Again, I think you're being very naive if you think Painter or Walters isn't involved between NIL and the recruit/players.
The two are not working independently of each other. Of course Painter's not going to come out and say "Yeh, we offered Catchings $1M year in NIL and that convinced him to sign with Purdue".

So, you'd be OK if Edey comes back next year and signs the largest NIL deals in the country? Which he's only going to get if he returns. He could go play overseas and make plenty of money, but maybe not as much in 1 year as some of the numbers being tossed around if he comes back to Purdue.
That’s totally within the rules.

Bone, I do agree with what proudopete has said about NIL in #71 and #79. I do believe that Painter was involved in initial discussions(2 years ago?) about how Purdue would handle NIL and specifically as it relates to recruiting. That includes how a player, his parents, and handlers find out how much each scholarship player will receive as well as what other players are doing to possibly supplement that amount. I don't think CMP is the one responsible for passing on that information. Just my opinion, but his involvement may have been mostly in developing the process.

The NCAA took action against a women’s basketball team accusing it was using the NIL to recruit players. I believe it was the same guy who gave money to Pack.

So, you believe everything a coach says to the media? Ok.....I don't. I think Painter says what he thinks people want to hear.
And if Painter doesn't want to embrace the new environment of NIL, then again, we should be looking to replace him with a coach that won't put Purdue at a disadvantage.

That’s totally within the rules.
Nothing I've said or suggested isn't within the rules.
But, if Catchings says to Painter:
"Coach, what can you do for me with NIL?"
What do you think Painter is going to say?
"Sorry son, I can't get involved. If that's important to you, maybe you shouldn't come to Purdue."

Hell no. Painter is going to say:
"Hey, I get it and in today's environment, as much as I don't like it, I understand it's part of your decision process. Let' me get our NIL people in touch with you to see what can be put together"

Is that legal? Is that unethical? Is that using NIL in recruiting?

Bone, I do agree with what proudopete has said about NIL in #71 and #79. I do believe that Painter was involved in initial discussions(2 years ago?) about how Purdue would handle NIL and specifically as it relates to recruiting. That includes how a player, his parents, and handlers find out how much each scholarship player will receive as well as what other players are doing to possibly supplement that amount. I don't think CMP is the one responsible for passing on that information. Just my opinion, but his involvement may have been mostly in developing the process.
I don't disagree. I don't think Painter is the one signing and handing over the checks, but I do believe he's playing puppet master and facilitating the discussions/contacts.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Nothing I've said or suggested isn't within the rules.
But, if Catchings says to Painter:
"Coach, what can you do for me with NIL?"
What do you think Painter is going to say?
"Sorry son, I can't get involved. If that's important to you, maybe you shouldn't come to Purdue."

Hell no. Painter is going to say:
"Hey, I get it and in today's environment, as much as I don't like it, I understand it's part of your decision process. Let' me get our NIL people in touch with you to see what can be put together"

Is that legal? Is that unethical? Is that using NIL in recruiting?
You have any proof of this ?

Bony has this super strong confirmation bias. He would rather believe what he makes up in his head than what Painter says. Painter is one the most honest and forthright coaches in the game, but no, he’s fibbing per bony. You just got to scratch your head sometimes about people’s judgements.
:cool:

No. But do you have proof these conversations don't take place.
Otherwise, how is a recruit supposed to get connected with the NIL people? Do they reach out to him? If so, how do they know who Purdue is recruiting and whether NIL needs to get involved?

Bony has this super strong confirmation bias. He would rather believe what he makes up in his head than what Painter says. Painter is one the most honest and forthright coaches in the game, but no, he’s fibbing per bony. You just got to scratch your head sometimes about people’s judgements.
Do you believe politicians are always honest in front of the camera? Or to you think what they say to the public and what they say behind closed doors are sometimes different?

I think coaches are exactly the same.

Do you believe politicians are always honest in front of the camera? Or to you think what they say to the public and what they say behind closed doors are sometimes different?

If you think he’s anything like a politician, you don’t know Jack squat about Painter.

You "think" coaches are "exactly" the same? Couldn't be more clear on your confirmation bias and your innate ability to make-stuff-up. Right at this point, I'd advise you to stop responding on this topic. No sense in proving what seems apparent to some of us.

You "think" coaches are "exactly" the same? Couldn't be more clear on your confirmation bias and your innate ability to make-stuff-up. Right at this point, I'd advise you to stop responding on this topic. No sense in proving what seems apparent to some of us.

I feel sorry for you if you believe everything you hear on TV or read in the papers. You should have taken a debate class in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT