ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Common Sense

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Many know that I live in Boise (38 years now). Both of my daughters are Boise State grads, so BSU is a quiet second team for me. That said, what is going on with schools and fans now?

Last night BSU lost to New Mexico at The Pit in overtime. At the end of the first half, the BSU players were met in the hall to their locker room by the New Mexico baseball team, yes BASEBALL team and a MSU type scene almost happened. Luckily, they didn't have their bats I guess. I get fan support, raised emotions, and fun of the game, but geez, is it just the way of the world now?

Coach Rice at BSU was a Mark Few assistant before BSU and he is a relatively calm guy, but he was quite pissed in the press conference. I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

Easily extend this to the massive amount of bullying in elementary and middle school. Kids committing suicide due to bullying. Threats and bullying at school board meetings, gatherings on both sides of abortion and guns. .... I don't want to bring politics to this forum, I truly don't. But these are the answer to your question. FYI, TWENTY years ago, some of the very best volleyball and basketball coaches in Indiana resigned. Every one of them simply said: I cannot deal with the parents anymore.

Many know that I live in Boise (38 years now). Both of my daughters are Boise State grads, so BSU is a quiet second team for me. That said, what is going on with schools and fans now?

Last night BSU lost to New Mexico at The Pit in overtime. At the end of the first half, the BSU players were met in the hall to their locker room by the New Mexico baseball team, yes BASEBALL team and a MSU type scene almost happened. Luckily, they didn't have their bats I guess. I get fan support, raised emotions, and fun of the game, but geez, is it just the way of the world now?

Coach Rice at BSU was a Mark Few assistant before BSU and he is a relatively calm guy, but he was quite pissed in the press conference. I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

off subject a bit, but do you recall or your daughters a Kurt Cunningham playing at Boise State 6'9" PF???? about a decade ago or so? He helps Braden's dad with his AAU team bigs...good kid

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
off subject a bit, but do you recall or your daughters a Kurt Cunningham playing at Boise State 6'9" PF???? about a decade ago or so? He helps Braden's dad with his AAU team bigs...good kid
Completely remember him. He never shot enough, but could give you 8-10 points a game. Didn't he play overseas for quite awhile and had a good career over there?

Reactions: tjreese
Easily extend this to the massive amount of bullying in elementary and middle school. Kids committing suicide due to bullying. Threats and bullying at school board meetings, gatherings on both sides of abortion and guns. .... I don't want to bring politics to this forum, I truly don't. But these are the answer to your question. FYI, TWENTY years ago, some of the very best volleyball and basketball coaches in Indiana resigned. Every one of them simply said: I cannot deal with the parents anymore.
That is so true. I coached baseball, AAU basketball, started the Pop Warner football program in our town. I enjoyed it a lot and never received any compensation. I quit because of dealing with the parents.

Parents are many times an issue, but somewhere at ground zero there seemed to be less problems and yes there are all kinds of things that could be pointed towards. However, for what is or was teh majority of good parents...what happened? It seems to me and no I don't have any measure to point towards that the parental influence has been weakened as well. Good parents now combat things due to outside influence more that when parents were a greater source of understanding it seems. Even in those two parent home their values and understandings may not be a prime source solicited. I think the undermining of the family may be in play as well...

Completely remember him. He never shot enough, but could give you 8-10 points a game. Didn't he play overseas for quite awhile and had a good career over there?
I remember his dad (Doug) telling me that he did, but don't think it was long. Nice kid. Was sitting at a game I was asked to attend in honor of his father-in-law and talked a bit with him. Interesting in that before the last home game I was talking with DAve Schellhase going over people we knew and such and his last comment when he got up from the table was "it's a small world"... only happens when you get old enough I guess... ;)

Parents are many times an issue, but somewhere at ground zero there seemed to be less problems and yes there are all kinds of things that could be pointed towards. However, for what is or was teh majority of good parents...what happened? It seems to me and no I don't have any measure to point towards that the parental influence has been weakened as well. Good parents now combat things due to outside influence more that when parents were a greater source of understanding it seems. Even in those two parent home their values and understandings may not be a prime source solicited. I think the undermining of the family may be in play as well...
This was 20 or maybe 30 years or more ago ... the crest of the AAU stuff. Telling the HS coach that their kid started ahead of that other player on their AAU team .... (so you need to coach like their AAU coach coaches!!!)

Reactions: tjreese
Today's problems go back to parents abdicating control of their children. When parents stopped paddling, disciplining and demanding accountability our society began a long slide to where we are today. I'm not talking advocating abuse but a paddling administered early on usually gets the message across that actions have consequences. Now having removed consequences we find ourselves with prosecutors that won't prosecute, parents that cover for little Johnny's every transgression and school systems that want to have more control over your kids than parents have.

I was in no way a soccer expert, but I gave myself to coaching on both my girls' city league teams for 4 years since no one else would do it. The girls on the team were fine for the most part, but there were some parents who made it a nightmare at times. One game I was coaching and we were doing well and I look on the sidelines and two moms have handfuls of each others hair, rolling in the mud. I thought "what am I doing here? It's one thing to deal with the kids, which was fine, but wtf do you do about the parents?

Last edited:
This was 20 or maybe 30 years or more ago ... the crest of the AAU stuff. Telling the HS coach that their kid started ahead of that other player on their AAU team .... (so you need to coach like their AAU coach coaches!!!)
Oh yeah...lots of problems with that I recall

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Oh yeah...lots of problems with that I recall
The Volleyball coach at Cass comes to mind. But maybe not. I hd breakfast with our Boys basketball coach. Man, did you have stories! He had a couch in his office and a parent came in and sat down and said "You know Joe and Jim played on the same AAU team this summer, right?
He said that he did, that he had watched them a couple of times.
The parent said "So you know my son started ahead of Jim, right?"
He said he did ... then he asked who coached the AAU team.
The parent said "I did."
The HS coach said, "And I coach this team."

Today's problems go back to parents abdicating control of their children. When parents stopped paddling, disciplining and demanding accountability our society began a long slide to where we are today. I'm not talking advocating abuse but a paddling administered early on usually gets the message across that actions have consequences. Now having removed consequences we find ourselves with prosecutors that won't prosecute, parents that cover for little Johnny's every transgression and school systems that want to have more control over your kids than parents have.
I was just reading an article last night from someone outside the country stating that many problems started in the USA when the "stigma" on poor behavior was removed and that the "stigma" was needed to curb such.

Reactions: indyogb
The Volleyball coach at Cass comes to mind. But maybe not. I hd breakfast with our Boys basketball coach. Man, did you have stories! He had a couch in his office and a parent came in and sat down and said "You know Joe and Jim played on the same AAU team this summer, right?
The parent said "I did."
it was as though this guy knew and you don't, not the other way and not that the teams and play were different...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The parent said "I did."
perfect

nah it's the TEACHERS fault!!! Teachers and schools.

Dont' you know that?

I will add an amusing story to the mix:

I coached my daughter's basketball team at her elementary/middle school, but also coached the boys who were a year ahead of her.

In the four seasons I coached the boys, we advanced to the championship game of the league playoffs three of those seasons and won it twice.

After the fourth season (the championship game that we lost), a dad asked to meet with me. He told me it was obvious that I "needed some help" and offered his assistance. One of his chief complaints was that I did not constantly stand and bark orders at the players during games

What he didn't know was that my daughter would be attending a different school the next year. I told him that not only could he assist, he could become head coach since I wouldn't be around.

He did...and the boys sustained their only losing season during their time at the school.

The news tells us that there is a mental health crisis in this country. Private and publicly funded therapists are fully booked with waiting lines. People are "anxious" and aren't equipped to deal with it constructively. People see their leaders constantly at strife and the media keeping things stirred up 24/7.

I coached my daughter's basketball team at her elementary/middle school, but also coached the boys who were a year ahead of her.

In the four seasons I coached the boys, we advanced to the championship game of the league playoffs three of those seasons and won it twice.

After the fourth season (the championship game that we lost), a dad asked to meet with me. He told me it was obvious that I "needed some help" and offered his assistance. One of his chief complaints was that I did not constantly stand and bark orders at the players during games

What he didn't know was that my daughter would be attending a different school the next year. I told him that not only could he assist, he could become head coach since I wouldn't be around.

He did...and the boys sustained their only losing season during their time at the school.
I assume he barked through every game. And that wasn't the missing ingredient after all.

That's a great story. And the results would be repeated here if Painter stepped aside and let some of the armchair coaches on this board make decisions for him based on what they watch on TV.

I had at least four player's dads "offer" to help coach my team. I tended to let them as I didn't really care. I cared that some of the players got to experience winning and some got to be supported in their busting their asses to become better. But it was fascinating as I sat on the bench and watched them "coach." - as I watched in time out huddles and listened to them "coach." .... What exactly does the term "coach" mean?
Oh well - that was MANY years ago. and I'm glad it is.

The news tells us that there is a mental health crisis in this country. Private and publicly funded therapists are fully booked with waiting lines. People are "anxious" and aren't equipped to deal with it constructively. People see their leaders constantly at strife and the media keeping things stirred up 24/7.
Boy are they overbooked with waiting lines!!!! That is truth~!

ADVERTISEMENT