ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Comcast dropping BTN (in non-BT footprints).

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Wonder if that has any impact on revenue sharing, would assume not much. Sucks for the folks that are cable based, non tech and out of footprint, though. I see FSN picking up more games in the near future.

Mother F’er. Can confirm it’s already gone from my channel line up.

Literally the only reason I have cable TV still

Looks like when FB season rolls around I’ll be ditching Comcast.

I suspect this is a negotiation versus a binding decision.

Definitely has some months to play out. It if it’s not resolved by august...cya Comcast.

I really didn’t need ANOTHER reason to hate them. The first 40 were real doozies...including pixelation only happening on Saturdays during Purdue football games on BTN between 12-3pm...

Reactions: goboilers2
Definitely has some months to play out. It if it’s not resolved by august...cya Comcast.

I really didn’t need ANOTHER reason to hate them. The first 40 were real doozies...including pixelation only happening on Saturdays during Purdue football games on BTN between 12-3pm...
Yeah I saw a tweet referencing that exact phenomenon. Good times.

Why not DirecTv or dish?

Yeah I saw a tweet referencing that exact phenomenon. Good times.

Why not DirecTv or dish?

I really didn’t wanna bother with satellite. Comcast was the only cable based option. The pixelation happened during Hazell’s last year. It was kind of a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
This sucks, the only reason I have Comcast is now gone! They just had a major price increase here in Florida to boot! They will soon find out how many Big Ten fans live outside of the footprint. Looks like greed is going to get the best of them. If they don't rethink this decision, they are clueless.

As long as one has access to AT&T/DirectTV, BTN is available but I do agree that it may just be a negotiation ploy to agree on a new contract as there is very little of interest in the BTN during the summer months!

Mother F’er. Can confirm it’s already gone from my channel line up.

Literally the only reason I have cable TV still

Looks like when FB season rolls around I’ll be ditching Comcast.

My wife and I keep talking about ditching Comcast; this wine the tipping point.

Guys - get Hulu Live. It was a lifesaver this bball season.

Every live bball game. It was $40/month. I just canceled it. And will start it back up when football season starts.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Youtube TV is your friend (aside from collecting your viewing habits and selling them). $35/mo and has BTN. Never missed a game last season.
Guys - get Hulu Live. It was a lifesaver this bball season.

Every live bball game. It was $40/month. I just canceled it. And will start it back up when football season starts.

iirc all of the stream services now have btn except sling.

i have tried most and currently had youtube tv.
was $35/mo but new subscribers are now 40/mo (but they have also added several channels recently). even then I may still drop it, since most ncaa games are on regular youtube within a few days time any way.

seems like tough negotiating for the old cable companies.
but imagine it could still dent btn future revenue since many people don't /can't choose streaming, or don't want to watch for free a few days late.

Last edited:
Reactions: phila
I'm going to have to look into Hulu and Youtube. I'm paying $145/mo with comcast in Houston. That's with HBO as well. I don't really have any problems with it as I don't watch much TV.

I'm going to have to look into Hulu and Youtube. I'm paying $145/mo with comcast in Houston. That's with HBO as well. I don't really have any problems with it as I don't watch much TV.
I too live in Houston, but am stuck with Suddenlink. I pay $86/month for their unlimited data package and $17.50 for YTTV because I am sharing with a friend (you can have 5 accounts, but only 2 watching at once).

I have AT&T down here in Texas and pay almost $200 per month for cable and internet. I would really like to ditch cable all together and was planning on checking out my options very soon so.... I need fast internet for the job. I only watch a couple shows on a few different channels and of course college sports. My wife who doesn't work loves the food network and HGTV. I would love to hear from any of you who may have recommendations on options that may be a whole lot cheaper and accomplish all of this.

I have AT&T down here in Texas and pay almost $200 per month for cable and internet. I would really like to ditch cable all together and was planning on checking out my options very soon so.... I need fast internet for the job. I only watch a couple shows on a few different channels and of course college sports. My wife who doesn't work loves the food network and HGTV. I would love to hear from any of you who may have recommendations on options that may be a whole lot cheaper and accomplish all of this.

i was in the same boat... $220 per month with AT&T internet/cable. then went to $75-80 per month.
($40 AT&T 50MB internet + $35-40 youtube tv)

-dvr:
youtube is good with unlimited dvr, recordings save for 9 months. others had storage or hour restrictions, shorter time expiration, extra fees, etc.

-channels:
this link had good comparisons but channel lineup changes some (it doesn't list a few for youtube, which they now have). Food Network & HGTV... seems to be available on everything except youtube tv.

Last edited:
I too live in Houston, but am stuck with Suddenlink. I pay $86/month for their unlimited data package and $17.50 for YTTV because I am sharing with a friend (you can have 5 accounts, but only 2 watching at once).
There's three of us in Houston in this thread alone? My only options in my neighborhood are Dish, DTV, and Suddenlink.

i was in the same boat... $220 per month with AT&T internet/cable. then went to $75-80 per month.

-dvr:
youtube is good with unlimited dvr, recordings save for 9 months. others had storage or hour restrictions, shorter time expiration, extra fees, etc.

-channels:
this link had good comparisons but channel lineup changes some (it doesn't list a few for youtube, which they now have). Food Network & HGTV... seems to be available on everything except youtube tv.

During b-ball and fball season, I pay $90 per month, and then in the offseason I drop Hulu tv.

The only thing I wanted was live sports, and scoffed at the price of packages offered by Comcast.

-dvr:

-channels:

I will check that out. Thanks!

If you're willing to go to streaming, Youtube TV ($40/mo) and Hulu (the $7.95 / mo option) is a great option. I use a Roku Streaming Stick + plugged into one of the TV HDMI ports. Youtube TV gives you all the local channels, plus sports, entertainment channels including BTN. It is missing HGTV and food network, but Hulu gives you the ability to watch all of those shows.

Getting ready to move to a Comcast area.

Will have to go with them for internet, but looking at the streaming services, I'm probably going to give DirectTV Now a shot. Biggest thing I don't like is their limit to only two streams at a time.

Getting ready to move to a Comcast area.

Will have to go with them for internet, but looking at the streaming services, I'm probably going to give DirectTV Now a shot. Biggest thing I don't like is their limit to only two streams at a time.
DirectTV Now doesn't have local channels, so you'll have to get an over the air antenna to get cbs, abc, fox, nbc. Youtube tv has all of the local channels, has 3 streams and unlimited dvr recording. Better alternative imo.

DirectTV Now doesn't have local channels, so you'll have to get an over the air antenna to get cbs, abc, fox, nbc. Youtube tv has all of the local channels, has 3 streams and unlimited dvr recording. Better alternative imo.

Over the air antenna isn't a big deal and something I always think is a good idea anyways. In weather situations, it can be a good back up for safety reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT