ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Calculating your chance of dying from COVID

NVboiler

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2018
Since Covid is a frequent topic on this forum, here is a way to calculate your chances of dying within the next few weeks developed by John Hopkins.

Covid 19 Risk Tool (covid19risktools.com)

Interesting that my risk is only twice as high as my wife (who is in the best category) although I am older and have several bad factors which she doesn't.

interesting. my risk of dying is elevated but not as high as first thought. maybe I've been over reacting. One of the local VA hospitals out patient clinics closed down today because of an outbreak of it's staff.

There is no average range on their scale... just close to or below average then immediately to moderately elevated.

Thanks for posting. I came out in the below average category. For grins I entered data for my aunt and unkle, both of whom died from complications of covid. They both came out in the substantially elevated risk category. I expected them to be higher.

I entered the worst possible info I could, and it still came out with only a 10% chance of dying.

personally, my chances are 5 in a million.

I entered the worst possible info I could, and it still came out with only a 10% chance of dying.

personally, my chances are 5 in a million.
saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Note, that's within the next couple of weeks. Now rethink how bad the odds are, and you also have to meet someone to become infected so that is possibly why you might survive longer if you do a good job of isolating yourself.

Note this also isn’t your chance of dying if you catch the disease, these are your odds of dying from Covid in general over the next few weeks and only applies to people with no reason to believe they are currently infected. If you were to catch Covid during that time, your odds of passing would obviously be several times higher than what’s shown, but this tool doesn’t give you the odds of surviving once infected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT