ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BT chances in bowls

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Does the new championship lineup help, hurt or not affect how many bowls the BT wins this year?

A discussion some friends and I have had in the past is how the BCS at times hurt the BT because it created "high-low" matchups in various bowl games, i.e. if the BCS took 2 teams, that slid all of the following BT teams up some spots (i.e. a 4th finish BT team could be playing a #2 finish Big 12). So does that still apply with the new setup? here are the games
my picks on the far right.

12/26 Heart of Dallas Illinois vs. Louisiana Tech (Ill)
12/26 Quick Lane Rutgers vs. North Carolina (Rut)
12/27 New Era Pinstripe Penn State vs. Boston College (BC)
12/27 National University Holiday Nebraska vs. USC (USC)
12/30 Foster Farms (really?) Maryland vs. Stanford (Stan)
1/1 Outback Bowl Wisconsin vs, Auburn (Aub)
1/1 Goodyear Cotton Bowl Michigan State vs. Baylor (MSU)
1/1 Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl Minny vs. Misery (Misery)
1/1 All State Sugar Bowl OSU vs. Alabama (bama)
1/2 TaxSlayer Bowl: Iowa vs. Tennessee (Iowa)

And one non-BT, I see the Tigers feasting on dead leprachauns all through the holiday season.

Vegas has the BT as dogs in all the games. I think that MSU/Baylor matchup should be fun to watch. If Baylor comes in with a chip on their shoulder ALA KSU at the second Outback, they get rolled. If they come in to prove something, MSU could really struggle.

I agree with Vegas. Dogs in every game. Maybe Nebraska if their RB is healthy or MSU if they can get some turnovers.

Dogs in every game, that's how the BIG10 is perceived and rightly so in my opinion. On the other hand, the media and ESPN etc. must not think that way to allow osu in the Final 4.

images

I think it basically is a wash.

The Big Ten had the most BCS berths of any conference. And by a decent margin, the Big Ten and SEC had the most times with 2 berths.

So our SEC match-ups were not always skewed by that fact since both conferences typically had 2 schools in. However, typically the SEC has been a larger conference, so the overall quality was probably just better.

Also, I don't think this is a great year to really gauge it as the Big Ten is definitely "abnormally down" this year. While the Big Ten may not ever get back to what it once was, the Big Ten is usually deeper than it is this year.

Originally posted by BoilerBulldog:

Originally posted by BoilerBulldog:
Vegas had Wisky a dog too last Saturday. So we'll see. I think the B1G will hold its own this year.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Correction...Wisky was a favorite not a dog.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I wonder if that changed now that their coach is gone and the assistants are more worried about their future than winning the bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT