ADVERTISEMENT

OSU defender on Fletcher verus PSU defender on Fletcher

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
I don't have a video to post where Fletch makes the winning shot. However, it may very well have been a freshman (Thornton) who after Fletcher's pass to Zach went to dig and turned his back on Fletcher and then Fletcher moved into an open gap and Zach found him for the winning shot. I know in some thread it was mentioned.

Now contast this video of Pickett (5th year senior?)??? and his stance around 8 seconds in. He is turned sideways so he can see the ball and his defender since those two things are always in play. As a plus, notice Zach faking a return pass to Fletcher to try to get the defense (Pickett) to leave his spot and remove that dig.

I don't have a video to post where Fletch makes the winning shot. However, it may very well have been a freshman (Thornton) who after Fletcher's pass to Zach went to dig and turned his back on Fletcher and then Fletcher moved into an open gap and Zach found him for the winning shot. I know in some thread it was mentioned.

Now contast this video of Pickett (5th year senior?)??? and his stance around 8 seconds in. He is turned sideways so he can see the ball and his defender since those two things are always in play. As a plus, notice Zach faking a return pass to Fletcher to try to get the defense (Pickett) to leave his spot and remove that dig.

Here it is, TJ (in GIF and longer video below). I recall that Holtmann talked a little bit about it. Ohio State generally doesn't double as much as other teams, but there was a breakdown from the Buckeyes.

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
Here it is, TJ (in GIF and longer video below). I recall that Holtmann talked a little bit about it. Ohio State generally doesn't double as much as other teams, but there was a breakdown from the Buckeyes.

giphy.gif

I figured as much just because of what happened and knowing that was most likely the cause. The video of PSU and Pickett shows the proper way of going to dig...that MANY do not do. Thank you for posting so that any interested may see what I mentioned!

giphy.gif

Although the desired effect is the same...I "nuance" at least for me that the dig for me is ball side generally adn doubling is from weakside generally. However, on a low block a defender in that gray area say more perpendicular to the basket may also go and dig or double and so those definitions blurr at times and I get it (just my dorky thinking).

Problem is whether you dig on ball side or even help on drive from the wing or baseline...both leave ball side shooter open. Leaving Fletcher who I think was warming up was a calculated choice since a two man game was in play with Fletcher and Zach. However, that choice was made substantially easier by the defender leaving a shooter and turning his back on the shooter. I'm sure Holtman and probably most coaches would dig or double Zach at that time since that is almost a sure 2 pt shot. Matt's placement of Zach and Fletcher in a two man game was not an accident I'm sure...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT