ADVERTISEMENT

Opt-outs decision

Feb 7, 2017
I'm not sure how AOC, Jones, Trice, or others could possibly feel good having made the 'right' choice to opt-out of this game. I just have a hard time seeing this as anything but abandoning your team mates. Brees hinted at something similar when he was asked about the opt-outs, but then back tracked and simply marked it up as it's a different world now.

I loved watching Saban talk after the Bama game about loving players that fulfilled their commitment to the school and each other.

O’Connell will go down as one of my all time favorite Purdue players, but there is no amount of preparation he is doing that will help his draft stock more than a good game against LSU wouldn’t have done.

Reactions: Inspector100
I could see the injury risk. But players can get injured in practice and all star games as well.

Some players have used Bowl games to elevate their draft stock. I’m thinking of the kickers from Michigan and OSU. The kicker from Michigan probably improved his draft stock with his FG. The one from OSU probably lowered his stock with his miss.

As I look at the opt outs, I have to assume we will start seeing players opting out of regular season games as well. We’ve already seen players like BOSA who could have come back and played elect to remain out rather than playing because he didn’t want to reinjure himself! He wanted to be healthy for his combine. We’ve also seen players do a limited combine as well rather than have a bad combine.

Reactions: z_one
Yes, during when Brees played, you never heard about opt outs. It is just a regular occurrence now, unless you are playing in the CFP.

Honestly, we have way too many bowl games as it is. Unless you are in the CFP, they are going to mean less and less each year with the NIL and opt outs.

Reactions: drewjin
Pretty cool to see Kirk Ferentz get emotional when asked about guys like Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta and Riley Moss playing in the Iowa bowl game when there was no real reason other than love for their teammates, coaches and fans.

• Love
Reactions: z_one and drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT