ADVERTISEMENT

Opening night lineup and rotations

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Might as well start one, these always were fun for me to do as a kid going over the mens rotations. I’ll say Woltman/Harper/Terry/Layden/Ellis. Guessing Hardin, Smith, Potts, Learn play major minutes as well. Stoddard probably gets 10 minutes a night, not sure about Williams and the other girl from Switzerland. Purdue probably adds 1 more bench player possibly from a lower tier school for bench depth, might as well use at least 13 ships considering 15 is the number.

Against smaller lineups or mid major teams - I see using Terry/Ellis/Layden/Learn/Harper with Woltman backing up the posts (if either get in foul trouble) and then Smith, Potts, Hardin, Williams backing up the guards. 10 player rotation to start the year. Stoddard potentially working her way into it by mid year.

These are good estimates. Plenty of depth and experience. I could see us besting last year.

From top to bottom - I think the current roster is deeper and more talented than the past year's. I think the major thing will be injuries and staying healthy in the post where we will be thin at. The further development of Learn and Smith will also be huge because if both can make the sophomore jump and Potts can come in and contribute immediately that will do wonders to boost the team's overall depth. Also, this will be KG's first full offseason with the team so hopefully team chemistry will be better straight out of the gate. Also I'm hoping she will have the time to instill a zone defense, something she didn't have this past year. I think with our length at the guard spot, an effective zone will really help our relatively thin defensive post play.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Taking a shot in the dark just to think about.

Starters - G - Terry, G/F - Layden, G - Potts, G - Smith, F/C - Harper

Bench - Ellis with the Moore role, Hardin for spark off the bench or foul trouble, Learn vs. shorter lineups, Woltman vs. taller lineups, Holdzer will get more time as season goes, ???s for Stoddard and Williams

Wouldn't be surprised to see this group together on the floor, but it would make for an interesting and tall lineup to face. A lot of defensive question marks though.

I think there will be times against certain opponents that we will see a 4 guard/1 post line up like we saw last year. We have 6 guards listed between 5'10-6'1. And when I say "Guards" I mean actual, legit GUARDS, not tweeners. So a lineup of 5'11 Terry at point -we'd have a size advantage against a lot of other PGs. Hardin at 5'10 - typical size for an off guard but she has the experienced frame to be able to defend some posts/forwards and then Layden at 6'1 and Potts or Smith at 6' - both with size advantages. Put those 4 together with a 6'4 Woltman - and that's a pretty tall/lengthy lineup across the board that would create mismatches against other teams, especially mid majors. Those 5 playing a nice zone D would help disguise our lack of having a traditional 4 and 5 on defense.

OR if Learn has strengthened her frame over the summer - and improved some her guard abilities (shooting/ball handling) then she could replace either Hardin or (Potts/Smith) in the lineup further adding additional versatility/height. I really think her develop is the key to Purdue taking that next step and earning a NCAA bid this year. I have feeling the B10 is going to take a small step back, opening the doors for a rising team to solidify a spot in the tournament.

Last edited:
If Smith isn't starting something is wrong... Imho the starting 5 most nights if everyone is healthy will be Woltman, Terry, Layden, Smith, and Ellis. I also think that Harper could start over Woltman, and Rickie comes off the bench. The interesting thing that will determine if this 2022-23 team has a better record than the 2021-22 team is quality depth. And there are so many unknowns at this point on who the reserves will be besides Learn. Still a ways to go to be truly competitive imho. Gotta win some of these recruiting battles.

My only hesitation with smith is that she was a major defensive liability last year. (Think Wisconsin home). Remember reading that she only had a positive plus minus a handful of times. Hopefully an entire offseason with actual player development might correct a few of those issues.

My only hesitation with smith is that she was a major defensive liability last year. (Think Wisconsin home). Remember reading that she only had a positive plus minus a handful of times. Hopefully an entire offseason with actual player development might correct a few of those issues.
She was a freshman... with better overall talent and had not so many previous starters transferred she probably would have redshirted this last season. She'll be fine.

She was a freshman... with better overall talent and had not so many previous starters transferred she probably would have redshirted this last season. She'll be fine.
Except for injuries, women's players rarely redshirt.

No one (except Matt Painter) redshirts anyone for purely developmental reasons anymore.
I quit following mens basketball when they started emulating NBA punking and dunking style, about 12 years ago. I just no longer find it entertaining.

Yes, Smith, Ellis, Terry and Potts will cover the guard minutes, which is a pretty decent core.
Sky Williams, is she a guard? She was a decent prospect, will be interesting to see where her and the Switzerland girl fit in. I think Purdue plays 3 guards most of the time next season, hope it stays at 3, Purdue got killed on the boards in the games I watched where they played 4 at a time.

Sky Williams, is she a guard? She was a decent prospect, will be interesting to see where her and the Switzerland girl fit in. I think Purdue plays 3 guards most of the time next season, hope it stays at 3, Purdue got killed on the boards in the games I watched where they played 4 at a time.

Yes, she's a 5'10 combo guard. Here's some really good footage of her from her senior year of high school, she seems to be pretty talented - hopefully she will be able to help and provide depth off the bench.

Yes, she's a 5'10 combo guard. Here's some really good footage of her from her senior year of high school, she seems to be pretty talented - hopefully she will be able to help and provide depth off the bench.

Thanks, since she was out last year I haven’t heard much about her. Appreciate the response!

Looks a bit like Ellis. Hard to believe she will not me at major rotation player or better during her time with us.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT