ADVERTISEMENT

Only a few All Big Ten Honors are awarded for Purdue VB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Our Boiler VB players, as expected, only garnered a few honors, led by All Big Ten Freshman of the Year Eva Hudson who also was the only Boiler named to the 1st team. Raven Colvin and Maddie Schermerhorn were named to the second team and Schermerhorn also received Purdue’s Sportsmanship Award.

Multiple 1st Team awards were, of course, given to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State and Ohio State. Like Purdue, single 1st Team honors were given to Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern. Iowa, Maryland, Michigan Staten and Rutgers had no one named to the 1st team.

Also Iowa, Michigan State and Rutgers had no one named to either the 1st or 2nd team.

Wisconsin’s Kelly Sheffield was, once again, named Coach of the Year.

Doc, can you tell me how Sheffield was able to get such great recruits and seemingly becoming the darling coach in the B1G. He doesn't seem to be that personable or charismatic when observing him?. Now, he may be just a great person but just expressing what I see visually.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I have wondered the same. But once your program becomes known for excellence and consistently wins the best league in the USA and then goes to final fours and last year finally winning an NCAA championship, you don’t have to have a good personality to attract great recruits. But, Dave Shondell speaks highly of him so maybe appearances give a false impression.

Kind of like Russ Rose at Penn State who won 6 NCAA Championships in 8 years and yet (to me) seemed to have no personality whatsoever. We’ll see what happens now that he is retired.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT