ADVERTISEMENT

One last point regarding the goaltending call on Saturday.

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Anyone remember the Michigan game from a couple years ago?

Painful memory but if you'll notice on GR3's shot at the buzzer, a Michigan player clearly had his hand in the net WHILE THE BALL WAS ON THE RIM even and there was no call.

Clearly, the lack of that call cost us the game. I remember pointing it out at the time and having Purdue fans tell me that refs are never going to make that call so we shouldn't worry about it. Well, fast forward two years and the refs did make the call. It didn't cost us the game but it did cost us an opportunity to tie/win a game.

I guess I just think there should be some clarity on this going forward. With our luck, they'll get the rule straightened out and the next time the call will be right and go against us but they need to get it figured out and consistently get it right going forward.

I wonder if they'd have called it had the hand in the net been a Purdue hand, and the shot didn't drop.

Anyone remember the Michigan game from a couple years ago?

Painful memory but if you'll notice on GR3's shot at the buzzer, a Michigan player clearly had his hand in the net WHILE THE BALL WAS ON THE RIM even and there was no call.

Clearly, the lack of that call cost us the game. I remember pointing it out at the time and having Purdue fans tell me that refs are never going to make that call so we shouldn't worry about it. Well, fast forward two years and the refs did make the call. It didn't cost us the game but it did cost us an opportunity to tie/win a game.

I guess I just think there should be some clarity on this going forward. With our luck, they'll get the rule straightened out and the next time the call will be right and go against us but they need to get it figured out and consistently get it right going forward.
I'd forgot about that one - another sad memory! It's funny - to me they shouldn't call that goal tending, but by the rules that one was much more of a goal tend than AJ's. If they'd just allow replay, they'd get a lot more of them right (although based on how they botched the replay of the Maryland guy slamming the Wisconsin players head, I'm not so sure it wouldn't just create more problems!).

I agree with you. Hitting the net wouldn't aide the shot to,drop which is the reason for offensive interference.
Doesn't matter... basket interference is the same for both the offense & defense

Go figure that Purdue would get shafted on the call being made incorrectly in both scenarios. Unlike you I have 0 confidence refs will get anything right going forward, but I guess I'm a cynical man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT