ADVERTISEMENT

OL recruiting

Jul 22, 2001
See we lost out on Cole Dellinger today to msu , evidently Dale Williams top of board desired recruit. Previously lost out on Daniel’s (Pitt), and we were already beat out for all of the top in state 4* guys (Iowa, l’ville). Maybe we get one of them in the transfer portal someday, but given the OLine struggles during Brohm’s tenure here, is it time for a change? Other than Hartwig, doesn’t seem like Williams has won any other recruiting battles of note, and is there any reason to think it will be different next year? Curious how satisfied folks are with the direction here?

Weve never gotten highly recruited lineman. Dale & Brohm recruit well compared to the historical avreage at the position.

That said, they arent developing and scheme looks like shit half the time. Id be for a new OL coach, but it aint gonna happen.

Weve never gotten highly recruited lineman. Dale & Brohm recruit well compared to the historical avreage at the position.

That said, they arent developing and scheme looks like shit half the time. Id be for a new OL coach, but it aint gonna happen.
Blind loyalty or what?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
there are two problems. We don't recruit well, and we no longer develop the players we recruit.

I believe I’ve commented on this subject a few times before, as in every single year of the last decade’.

Unlike Iowa and UW, Purdue does not make recruiting elite linemen a priority! We’d rather recruit WRS and DBs! We can never have enough WRs!

the problem is at least with Hope, we actually developed the linemen we recruited! Our current OL coach does not recruit quality linemen, nor does he develop them, nor does he employ proper schemes.

and we wonder why our running attack is so bad and Elite RBs are also now looking elsewhere.

why is our offensive line coach still here?

I believe I’ve commented on this subject a few times before, as in every single year of the last decade’.

Unlike Iowa and UW, Purdue does not make recruiting elite linemen a priority! We’d rather recruit WRS and DBs! We can never have enough WRs!

the problem is at least with Hope, we actually developed the linemen we recruited! Our current OL coach does not recruit quality linemen, nor does he develop them, nor does he employ proper schemes.

and we wonder why our running attack is so bad and Elite RBs are also now looking elsewhere.

why is our offensive line coach still here?
I quit commenting Purdue needed a new O Line coach! Brohm evidently thinks the guy is a good coach , and some didn’t like my comments! So it’s not gonna change

Reactions: Wolegib
It’s a major priority of ours we just haven’t been good at that position under Dale Williams and I think it’s tough to get a coach who is willing to go toe to toe with other. If programs. We’ve been good at recruiting OL over indiana it’s tough to recruit when you have some great programs for developing OL coming in here like UW, Iowa, and ND. There were only 2 good OL from indiana this year and they are both going to Iowa. Ethan Fields was a GOOD pickup. We beat out indiana for him. And he won’t be our last.

if we got Aaron Bradley and a couple fringe guys like Mysta Moore everyone would be excited about this years OL class.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
It’s a major priority of ours we just haven’t been good at that position under Dale Williams and I think it’s tough to get a coach who is willing to go toe to toe with other. If programs. We’ve been good at recruiting OL over indiana it’s tough to recruit when you have some great programs for developing OL coming in here like UW, Iowa, and ND. There were only 2 good OL from indiana this year and they are both going to Iowa. Ethan Fields was a GOOD pickup. We beat out indiana for him. And he won’t be our last.

if we got Aaron Bradley and a couple fringe guys like Mysta Moore everyone would be excited about this years OL class.
I think they are going to change strategy. 2 HS recruits & 2-3 portal guys every year instead of 4 HS guys

Reactions: Wolegib
The question is if it is the oline coach or our strengthening and conditioning program? Or both? What’s the benifit of redshirting all these players and our great new facility if the player is no better his second year than when he arrived?

NAT I agree with you!!!!

it is probably smarter to add 2 transfers each year who had the benefit to develop elsewhere and learn how to play elsewhere!

Purdue 85 I also agree with you.

a lot of schools redshirt their lineman, but not all linemen are redshirted. There are exceptions. And you can find at least 1-2 linemen at top 20 schools that did not redshirt. The problem at Purdue is our linemen don’t really improve after being redshirted.

my thoughts about redshirting have often been misunderstood. I have no problem with redshirting if the player actually benefits from it. I’d love to see Purdue be able to recruit elite players that didn’t need redshirting and could play from day 1. They do exist. Hartwig was one. And finally, yes linemen at UW, OSU and ALabama do redshirt. However, it is my belief if those same linemen came to Purdue instead of going to OSU etc, many of them would probably start as freshmen for Purdue because of how weak our talent has been.

looking at IU, They have had about 5 lineman in the last decade that didn’t redshirt.

and looking at the state of Indiana, we have got to do a much better job of recruiting our in state linemen rather than watching them go to Iowa ever year!

Last edited:
Unless you get the 5 star or 4 high star OL recruits, it takes time for them to develop. It would have been great to have gotten a couple of those OL recruits this year. I guess we didn't offer enough money. However, didn't we recruit like 5 in last year's class. We can always go the transfer portal, if needed.

This year our OL should be above average, as long as we don't have any major injuries.

Unless you get the 5 star or 4 high star OL recruits, it takes time for them to develop. It would have been great to have gotten a couple of those OL recruits this year. I guess we didn't offer enough money. However, didn't we recruit like 5 in last year's class. We can always go the transfer portal, if needed.

This year our OL should be above average, as long as we don't have any major injuries.
That’s sort of my point. 4 and 5 star ol recruits do exist, but they never seem to want to play for Purdue. Hartwig was an elite 4 star lineman. And he ended up starting a few games his freshman year. Iowa came to Indiana and once again stole two awesome linemen.

Indiana has produced a lot of great high school offensive linemen, but they all seem to want to play for a different school. Purdue could have an awesome line if they were able to recruit Indiana linemen.

what is it about Purdue that makes linemen want to go elsewhere? I know the story about Cronk. But I thought there was another lineman that same year from Indiana that Purdue recruited that also ended up going to and playing for IU. He would have made a great lineman for Purdue.

That’s sort of my point. 4 and 5 star ol recruits do exist, but they never seem to want to play for Purdue. Hartwig was an elite 4 star lineman. And he ended up starting a few games his freshman year. Iowa came to Indiana and once again stole two awesome linemen.

Indiana has produced a lot of great high school offensive linemen, but they all seem to want to play for a different school. Purdue could have an awesome line if they were able to recruit Indiana linemen.

what is it about Purdue that makes linemen want to go elsewhere? I know the story about Cronk. But I thought there was another lineman that same year from Indiana that Purdue recruited that also ended up going to and playing for IU. He would have made a great lineman for Purdue.
If Purdue could get a offensive line version of Hagan, that would help a lot!

See we lost out on Cole Dellinger today to msu , evidently Dale Williams top of board desired recruit. Previously lost out on Daniel’s (Pitt), and we were already beat out for all of the top in state 4* guys (Iowa, l’ville). Maybe we get one of them in the transfer portal someday, but given the OLine struggles during Brohm’s tenure here, is it time for a change? Other than Hartwig, doesn’t seem like Williams has won any other recruiting battles of note, and is there any reason to think it will be different next year? Curious how satisfied folks are with the direction here?
They were really late offering 2024 Ian Moore, who is going to be a monster. That doesn’t help.

If Purdue could get a offensive line version of Hagan, that would help a lot!

Crazy thing…he has been a position coach here before, just like Hagan

Hope_Danny_web_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT