ADVERTISEMENT

OK. I'll do the elephant in the room

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
We have a great group of guys. I truly love them all. but this is a "business." So, the best survive ... or at least those who take the company to their goal. Here I am, hatchet man:
Newman - Luv ya' bro, but you gotta go
Morton - Luv you too, but you're gonna sit the bench
Gillis - Luv ya and you're gonna stay!
Furst - Luv ya, but dammit, work your ass off on what you need to
Edey - Luv ya, Hope you stay, if you don't, still luv ya man
Loyer - hit the damned weights and get your confidence back
Smith - Luv ya, but you are who you are ... take the good and take the bad
Waddell - You stay as long as you want, but don't see a lot of time
Heide - All the opportunity in the world. Please grab it and thrive
TKR - Loved you this year, but please develop a face to the basket game
Berg - MY GAWD if you can shoot the three... YAZ!!!
Colvin - Damn man, what a game you have. Bring some street ball to the boilers.

2023-24
PG - HELP, Smith
SG - HELP - Loyer
WING - ?? Gillis? --- or HELP
PF - TKR -- can't be a backdown 5
C - Edey? -- Furst>> Who knows. Will we continue with the back to the basket style

We have a great group of guys. I truly love them all. but this is a "business." So, the best survive ... or at least those who take the company to their goal. Here I am, hatchet man:

2023-24
PG - HELP, Smith
SG - HELP - Loyer
C - Edey? -- Furst>> Who knows. Will we continue with the back to the basket style
I look at it the other way around: go buy who we need in the portal, oversigning as needed, then have as many “talks” as necessary later this spring.

It’s just like the NBA. You’re on the roster…until a better player comes along…

I look at it the other way around: go buy who we need in the portal, oversigning as needed, then have as many “talks” as necessary later this spring.

It need not to be that extreme, but that NYT article really pissed me off. This was before the loss; painter was quoted as saying he wouldn’t take the #1 PG in 2023 in the country because he already has smith.

From the entire tone and quotes, go find it, he was gloating in his talent selection and style choices. I just don’t think he’s shifting, unless made to - Which no one will

I say run & press....if Edey leaves.

Painter: "Can't do that might have a couple extra turnovers, and I won't be able to yell move as much. No that won't do; I have a system that works and we will stick to that."

Newman would be a 8-10 pt scorer at most schools. His D was dominant at the end of the year. Talk about his role?

Painter: "Hope he stays so I can yank him at will, no I mean work on his game, and be sure he thinks the game. It's important for him to understand his role and stick to that role. But if I see one mistake he is going to the bench."

Morton - is he over his head? Be nice for him if he returns to his home state. Way more valleys than mountain tops. Your thoughts?

Painter: "Gawd I love me some Morton. It's like looking at me as a player. He understands what I want on the floor, and sometimes he just makes me feel all warm inside when I watch tape of his 2 great games this past year. Those 2 games show me Morton is the key to next year. He might be my only returning starter. If he leaves I am going with him."

Got to get a transfer. Your thoughts?

Painter: "Sure hope someone please considers us. I won't make them any promises and I won't even promise them that they will play, but come try to work their way into our rotation. We are Purdue. Players considering us need to understand that."

Working on a variety of defenses and defensive schemes would help don't you think?

Painter:. "Our man to man works. It's what I played, and it's our identity. After all I just had my 4th championship with it so why break what obviously works so well"

Been nice talking with you sir. Have a great off season.

.tic

It need not to be that extreme, but that NYT article really pissed me off. This was before the loss; painter was quoted as saying he wouldn’t take the #1 PG in 2023 in the country because he already has smith.

From the entire tone and quotes, go find it, he was gloating in his talent selection and style choices. I just don’t think he’s shifting, unless made to - Which no one will
Just read it. I hope Painter consults older, wiser coaches that he can trust…(Weber?) for advice on next steps.

2023-24
PG - HELP, Smith
SG - HELP - Loyer
PG - Smith and transfer
SG- Loyer and Colvin
Wing- Gillis Heide
PF TKR-Furst
C Berg ( think Edeys gone) but a center who shoot 3's , change in and out of post play depending on Opponent.

2023-24
PG - HELP, Smith
SG - HELP - Loyer
I think Newman, Wadell and maybe Gillis leave. If Edey stays, TKR probably leaves. Morton may leave, I just don’t see him gettin minutes with Colvin and Heide.

I am sure their is poaching going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Thus, anyone leaving would not surprise.

Even though the season ended poorly the team was #1 alot and I am sure a guy or two might get a $$ (nil) call from schools.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Braden Smith had arguably a better Freshman campaign than Carsen, but Braden was asked to do a lot more. He's got the makings of the same bulldog mentality as Carsen. If he shows up looking built like a brick shithouse next season like Carsen did, look out.
It just seems to me we have several glue guys and no apha yet. Morton, Gillis, Newman are all role guys who inherit the term glue guy. I like the two Frosh in the future but we had too many role guys on this years roster.

We haven’t had a big with a face up game since AJ left. I remember how smooth that jumper was and opened up more opportunities for him when he went in the post.

Not sure who leaves or who stays. Newman and Gillis both have their degrees so in theory they could both be gone.

TKR or Furst need to be given summer homework - develop a consistent face up game and expanded game.

I wouldn’t mind moving on from Waddell and Morton and bringing in some athletes that can really handle the ball well. I’m still cool with Newman staying but if he leaves it is what it is.

Reactions: jdbrewer

Are you bankrolling the purchase of this new superteam? Teams that have been in that business far longer than NIL has existed didn't fare all that well this year either.

It just seems to me we have several glue guys and no apha yet. Morton, Gillis, Newman are all role guys who inherit the term glue guy. I like the two Frosh in the future but we had too many role guys on this years roster.
We don't have anyone that steps up and plays his best in the big pressure games. Loyer and Smith might get there, but so far the others haven't shown signs of doing it. Even Zach seems to struggle (although he still manages to score and rebound better than most...just too many turnovers and failure to take shots that he should be taking).

We don't have anyone that steps up and plays his best in the big pressure games. Loyer and Smith might get there, but so far the others haven't shown signs of doing it. Even Zach seems to struggle (although he still manages to score and rebound better than most...just too many turnovers and failure to take shots that he should be taking).
Zach “struggling” was usually by design. Teams figured out that if they made it hard on him or to get it to him, the other guys would have to step up and make shots. The gamble worked more often than not.

Too many Grady Eiferts.

Need more Carsen and Clines
Grady Eifert made what should have been the most important play in Purdue basketball history since 1980 when, with Purdue up 2, he snatched an offensive rebound in the waning moments of the Elite Eight game against UVA. Unfortunately, when Cline got fouled, he only made one of two...which led to another disastrous, soul crushing ending and wasted Carsen's insane tournament run.

Loyer was that guy in the first half of the season, but he hit a wall. I don’t think he ever lost his confidence, just his legs. Hoping with some maturity and strength training he will be that guy all of next year.

Loyer was that guy in the first half of the season, but he hit a wall. I don’t think he ever lost his confidence, just his legs. Hoping with some maturity and strength training he will be that guy all of next year.
Too bad weight training won't prevent throwing backwards/cross court passes against the press. :p

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Painter needs to change his approach. He has a stats and analytics guy on staff. Ask him to crunch the numbers on last tournament winner with a traditional back to the basket center. Also what is the ideal lineup mix of teams who make deep runs? The data is there but Painter refuses to accept that the game in March isn’t the same as it is in conference.

Painter needs to change his approach. He has a stats and analytics guy on staff. Ask him to crunch the numbers on last tournament winner with a traditional back to the basket center. Also what is the ideal lineup mix of teams who make deep runs? The data is there but Painter refuses to accept that the game in March isn’t the same as it is in conference.
Bingo.

B1G does not prepare you for March. You can have success in the conference, but it doesn't translate to March. Slow, plodding big choking up the middle and playing nothing but MTM defense. Wins plenty of conference games, but not the dance. His best March teams were not Center centric. That isn't a coincidence.

2023-24
PG - HELP, Smith
SG - HELP - Loyer
You are 100% wrong on Morton. He should transfer. Zero offense, poor 3 pt shooter, no mid-range jumper, no shot off the dribble, cannot finish at the rim. And poor defense. Constantly getting beat off the dribble.

Newman played well the last 6-7 games. Should be getting 25 min plus. Better defender than Morton.

Gillis - don’t understand why Painter insists on playing under sized 4’s. Has difficulty consistently scoring inside. Slow leaper. Too slow for a 3.

Furst - probably should be getting 25 min a game. Painter has a habit of pulling him after 4 mins or so no matter how well Furst is playing. Second game against IU, tearing them up and gets pulled after about 4 mins. Same against OSU in the Big tournament.

Waddell - not Big talent. Waisted scholly.

TKR - slow jumper. Needs a lot more than the 4 dribbles and a flip hook shot.

Berg - not Big talent.

Loyer and Smith - played well as freshman.

Guards and 3’s - need more speed and a ton of quickness.

Painter - would not bother me to see him go elsewhere.

As was stated, this is a business. College athletic has been a business for schools before, but we have the NIL now, so amateur athletics are officially gone.

I think it is great to have that loyalty to your players, but he should be going after the best players. Just because you started last year, that should not guarantee anything, especially after the tournament performance.

I have heard a lot of talk about how the Boilermaker Alliance is going to make a difference. Time to stop with the rhetoric and see results this off season. We need some shooters, and we need more athletic, quicker players. If Painter has to have a couple of difficult discussions with some players on their roles with the team, that is part of it.

Reactions: Dryfly88
What the lineup will likely be

1st2nd3rd
1 - PG​
SmithTransfer
2 - SG​
LoyerNewman
3 - SF​
ColvinMortonGillis
4 - PF​
FurstGillisTKR
5 - C​
EdeyBergTKR

What is should be

1st2nd3rd
1 - PG​
TransferSmith
2 - SG​
TransferLoyer
3 - SF​
ColvinNewmanGillis
4 - PF​
FurstGillisTKR
5 - C​
EdeyBergTKR

You are 100% wrong on Morton. He should transfer. Zero offense, poor 3 pt shooter, no mid-range jumper, no shot off the dribble, cannot finish at the rim. And poor defense. Constantly getting beat off the dribble.

Newman played well the last 6-7 games. Should be getting 25 min plus. Better defender than Morton.

Gillis - don’t understand why Painter insists on playing under sized 4’s. Has difficulty consistently scoring inside. Slow leaper. Too slow for a 3.

Furst - probably should be getting 25 min a game. Painter has a habit of pulling him after 4 mins or so no matter how well Furst is playing. Second game against IU, tearing them up and gets pulled after about 4 mins. Same against OSU in the Big tournament.

Waddell - not Big talent. Waisted scholly.

TKR - slow jumper. Needs a lot more than the 4 dribbles and a flip hook shot.

Berg - not Big talent.

Loyer and Smith - played well as freshman.

Guards and 3’s - need more speed and a ton of quickness.

Painter - would not bother me to see him go elsewhere.
Berg not Big 10 talent? How could you possibly know that?! I think Wadell's scholarship is probably a waste, but you get 13 after all. He might be serviceable at some point. He does have the size at least.

Definitely the case this year in the backcourt (no alpha), but I'm not sure Carsen was better as a freshman than Fletcher or Braden. I think most were optimistic about Carsen's sophomore year but I'm not sure anyone saw a Jerry West award sophomore season coming (I know I didn't).

I'm not saying that Fletcher or Braden will be as good next year as Carsen was as a sophomore, just pointing out that it can be hard to predict when a breakthrough season will come for a player.

2023-24
PG - HELP, Smith
SG - HELP - Loyer
Am I reading your depth chart correctly in that you're going to get two guards from the portal to start over Smith and Loyer?

Players need acting classes or just get older, the amount of head, arm, body flailing in these sweet sixteen games from barely getting touched is crazy, need to get better at selling fouls, old man jenkins was only one that seemed to know how to do that.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
I have heard a lot of talk about how the Boilermaker Alliance is going to make a difference. Time to stop with the rhetoric and see results this off season. We need some shooters, and we need more athletic, quicker players. If Painter has to have a couple of difficult discussions with some players on their roles with the team, that is part of it.
Are you contributing? Or is this just rhetoric?

who do we miss out on this year that leads their choice to glory? i dont have any hope of getting a game changing transfer

That would be ideal if we could. Not likely but that should be the goal at least.
I don't mean this to be critical of you but IMO it's not only unlikely, there is zero chance that Purdue is able to land two guards good enough to push those two to the bench. Yes, Loyer flamed out in the second half of the season and both flopped in the NCAAT, but by any objective measure both had excellent freshmen season and can be expected to make big jumps in the offseason.

In the very best case scenario they land a PG that can bring Braden's minutes down to 25 mpg and a shooter that can either start along side Loyer or come off the bench and reduce Fletcher's minutes.

What the lineup will likely be

1st2nd3rd
1 - PG​
SmithTransfer
2 - SG​
LoyerNewman
3 - SF​
ColvinMortonGillis
4 - PF​
FurstGillisTKR
5 - C​
EdeyBergTKR

What is should be

1st2nd3rd
1 - PG​
TransferSmith
2 - SG​
TransferLoyer
3 - SF​
ColvinNewmanGillis
4 - PF​
FurstGillisTKR
5 - C​
EdeyBergTKR

Obviously you are correct, if the Boilers found 2 guards to surplant the two starting guards that would be a dream scenario.

But not going to happen.

Knowing CMP history he will bring on another transfer who will be perhaps helpful??.....but only after all the aggressive nil schools already have had their picks of the top transfers.

Reactions: DannyGranger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT