ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Thoughts

Boiler Addict

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2020
They are a good team. This is going to be a really tough away game. I think we need to put up 35+ to win.

Yes I’m aware of their last game against Nebraska. I just don’t like our matchup in the secondary. They can hurt us with extended plays that turn into explosive plays.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Ohio State put up 35+. Mind you Purdue’s defense the last three weeks has given up 30, 23 and 29. My understanding is Ohio State’s run game is not firing on all cylinders right now, but the pass game has been good.

Keys to the game:
Purdue offensively - sustain drives, run the ball effectively and enough to keep them honest and chew clock, score touchdowns early and often.

Purdue defensively - get them uncomfortable / out of their game plan. The offense getting an early lead would help that. Similar to 2018 where Haskins threw the ball like 50+ times. I also believe when Purdue is in a multiple score lead, the other team takes chances that increase our chances at TO’s. Ohio State does well in 1st and 2nd downs, got to get them to 3rd and medium or longer.

Brohm has mentioned being aggressive and taking chances, I wonder if that includes Austin Burton throwing a pass, he seemingly has set that up for weeks. BOILER UP!

They are a good team. This is going to be a really tough away game. I think we need to put up 35+ to win.

Yes I’m aware of their last game against Nebraska. I just don’t like our matchup in the secondary. They can hurt us with extended plays that turn into explosive plays.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Ohio State put up 35+. Mind you Purdue’s defense the last three weeks has given up 30, 23 and 29. My understanding is Ohio State’s run game is not firing on all cylinders right now, but the pass game has been good.

Keys to the game:
Purdue offensively - sustain drives, run the ball effectively and enough to keep them honest and chew clock, score touchdowns early and often.

Purdue defensively - get them uncomfortable / out of their game plan. The offense getting an early lead would help that. Similar to 2018 where Haskins threw the ball like 50+ times. I also believe when Purdue is in a multiple score lead, the other team takes chances that increase our chances at TO’s. Ohio State does well in 1st and 2nd downs, got to get them to 3rd and medium or longer.

Brohm has mentioned being aggressive and taking chances, I wonder if that includes Austin Burton throwing a pass, he seemingly has set that up for weeks. BOILER UP!
I would love to see Burton throw a touchdown pass of 20 yards or more on Purdues first drive .That would really make OSU nervous about what Purdue might do the rest of the game.

Reactions: Boiler Addict
I think a big factor is the health of Mitchell coming off the edge opposite GK. We have got to make life uncomfortable for OSU QB.
Mitchell, Jenkins and Johnson are all banged up. Hopefully all are healthy enough to effectively play in the rotation.

This game will come down to how well our OL protects Aidan and our DL gets after Stroud.
Yep and both our TE’s are banged up.

Stroud is a RS-FR and made a couple mistakes last week against Nebraska. Hopefully he continues that trend.

We're playing with house money right now.
I really don't care if we win or not today. If we do, that would be unbelievable, but I'm not expecting to.
I'm really just hoping for a respectable showing, cover the spread, avoid injuries and focus on winning the last 2 (including an absolute dismantling of iu in the Bucket game) and getting a decent warm weather bowl.

I actually think this is the year that OSU can be beaten and most of that is because of their youth. I read on 247 Sports that their 2020 and 2021 classes were (along with Alabama's) were in the top 4 back to back classes EVER. Take a look at their roster and notice the amount of true and redshirt freshman on their two deep. Alabama is kind of going through the same thing. Better get both of them now because both OSU and Alabama are going to be incredibly tough to beat in the next few years.

But, with that said, my prediction today - Purdue 31 - OSU 28. That's three top 5 upsets for the Boilers this year. Don't think that's ever been done before

Reactions: purduepat1969
I really don't care if we win or not today. If we do, that would be unbelievable, but I'm not expecting to.
I'm really just hoping for a respectable showing, cover the spread, avoid injuries and focus on winning the last 2 (including an absolute dismantling of iu in the Bucket game) and getting a decent warm weather bowl.
I don’t really care if they go 0-4 the rest of the way .. they already exceeded my expectations and I’m so proud to root for these group of players and coaches .. I’m so sorry that I let my agony from 05-16 interfered with my vision of this team

Thing is we have a pac 12 offensive line. Terrible against teams like Wisconsin.. they probably won’t have Ohio state blow right by them
osu's #5 cleared to play today, got bad vibes on this game, staying w/ 45 or 42 to 20 loss today.

osu's #5 cleared to play today, got bad vibes on this game, staying w/ 45 or 42 to 20 loss today.
If Purdue plays generally mistake-free and the OL holds up, I could see this being a real dog-fight.

Can't afford to get behind early, though, and Henderson is going to be a problem. I think most had this penciled in as a loss.....would be a huge step for the Boilers if they could pull it off......we shall see.....go ahead and surprise me, Boilers.

Is the “respectable showing “ still possible?

How did you think this game was gonna turn out if Ohio state played their A game? Did you think we were close? Because if you thought the talent level was close you were way off base…

I would settle for a not humiliating showing at this point.....we are right on the cusp of being there now but it could get a lot worse depending on OSU's attitude. They should want to get out of the game without injuries too.

We're well past that point. Giving up 45 points in the first half is humiliating. Going to lose this one by 50. We're an okay team having a bad day against an elite team at the top of their game.

For Purdue, this season is about as good as it gets. Hopefully finish 8-4 (I think we lose to NW and finish 7-5), go to the music city or pinstripe bowl and hope we play a weaker team.

We're well past that point. Giving up 45 points in the first half is humiliating. Going to lose this one by 50. We're an okay team having a bad day against an elite team at the top of their game.

For Purdue, this season is about as good as it gets. Hopefully finish 8-4 (I think we lose to NW and finish 7-5), go to the music city or pinstripe bowl and hope we play a weaker team.
Just curious. What have you seen from Northwestern to make you think they will beat us? Not saying they can't but if I had to bet on it, I would not hesitate to take Purdue. We are definitely better than them.

Just curious. What have you seen from Northwestern to make you think they will beat us? Not saying they can't but if I had to bet on it, I would not hesitate to take Purdue. We are definitely better than them.
NW was shellacked today
Never look ahead but…we should be favored in that one.

Reactions: delarno

You think we lose to northwestern and i never remember seeing your handle? Isn’t that special lol

Purdue made mistakes they didn’t, when you play a really good team, the one with fewest mistakes usually wins!

Link: https://purduesports.com/sports/football/stats/2021/ohio-state/boxscore/55720

19 attempts for 91 yards, vs #4 OSU.

That's pretty d@mn effective.

😉

Definitely more production with Zander Horvath back....and both he and King Dorue also have the ability to get receptions out of the backfield.....Horvath has that short/wheel - swing taking it up the sideline down with O'Connell's accuracy. Just please, light dose of strategic-designed QB runs is all I can take.

Your vibes were correct, and that was the vibes I had being there as well. Bad energy from the start and I knew it was a blowout as soon as they went up 7-0. We looked scared. Kudos to O'Connell for hanging in and throwing some nice passes to at least put some points up so it didn't turn into Auburn part deux.

How did you think this game was gonna turn out if Ohio state played their A game? Did you think we were close? Because if you thought the talent level was close you were way off base…
No, I said i expected a loss, cover the 20 pt spread and come out injury free.

No, I said i expected a loss, cover the 20 pt spread and come out injury free.
The talent level is such that if they bring their A game yesterday was a fine result. Wait till you see what they do to the weird dude from Michigan state

The talent level is such that if they bring their A game yesterday was a fine result. Wait till you see what they do to the weird dude from Michigan state
Is this one of those OSU teams that teases the Big with hopes of a NC but then gets blown out in the playoff by an SEC team?

Is this one of those OSU teams that teases the Big with hopes of a NC but then gets blown out in the playoff by an SEC team?

The offense is quite capable, Lenny; however, their defense (even though improving) is not nearly the level of some of their recent better teams. They are certainly the favorites in the Big Ten, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if either Michigan or Michigan State knocks them off. Would likely face Wisconsin in the BTCG. This team is not overall as good as the last title team in 2014 (first year of playoff).

Perhaps this is the trend continuing that a team doesn't need a top defense anymore if it can score enough. They'd give the Georgia or Alabama defenses some issues. Georgia is the only team I've seen that's been a step above everyone else. Ironically, the SEC could be be rooting for them to drop the SECCG to get another playoff team in (if it's Alabama).......more $$$$$$$. That's what it's all about, right???

A Cincinnati/Ohio State playoff game would be interesting.

JMHO.

We shall see.

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT