ADVERTISEMENT

Official Courtney Greene Gambling Thread

Might as well, Mrs. Green does quite nicely.
Currently 1-17-1 ATS in our last 19 games with Courtney Green officiating. At this point, it can’t be a coincidence.

Am seriously considering opening a Draft Kings account to take advantage of this statistical anomaly.

The question is, what’s the best way to find out who the officials are for a game?

Might as well take advantage, his closest friends & relatives probably already have.

I consider it myself, but it takes the fun out of watching, at least for me.

He likely is becoming the most hated ref in the B10 because he does his job poorly

Currently 1-17-1 ATS in our last 19 games with Courtney Green officiating. At this point, it can’t be a coincidence.

Am seriously considering opening a Draft Kings account to take advantage of this statistical anomaly.

The question is, what’s the best way to find out who the officials are for a game?

Need a GGPS ..... "Green Global Positioning System."

Recalculating, Recalculating.......turn left and go 153 miles, then exit and turn right.

Enter arena straight ahead, go through the tunnel and approximately 47 feet to half-court.

Referees-Courtney-Green-left-and-Bo-Boroski-charge-UT-Martins-Dominique-Williams-with-a-foul-against-Illini-Mark-Smith-with-ball.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Need a GGPS ..... "Green Global Positioning System."

Recalculating, Recalculating.......turn left and go 153 miles, then exit and turn right.

Enter arena straight ahead, go through the tunnel and approximately 47 feet to half-court.

Referees-Courtney-Green-left-and-Bo-Boroski-charge-UT-Martins-Dominique-Williams-with-a-foul-against-Illini-Mark-Smith-with-ball.jpg
Tex - moving forward, I’m gonna need you to go ahead and include the officiating crew in your game thread writeups, mmmKay ?

There was a play in the first half where a Davidson player thew a pass to a teammate being guarded by Newman near half-court. Newman's man bobbled the pass and the ball bounced off his knee across the half-court line. He recovered it, and the referee who was standing right there called over-and-back. The other ref came running in and overturned the call, claiming that the ball was knocked across the line by Newman.

1) WTH did the 2nd referee see? It happened in the open court, and Newman never got within 3 feet of the ball. The Davidson player had him completely shielded. The network confirmed this by showing the replay. If the 2nd ref's vision was blocked, he should have kept his mouth shut.

2) Why did the 1st ref let the 2nd ref overturn his call. He was in perfect position to see the play, and made the right call. He just rolled over and let the 2nd ref overturn his correct call.

There was a play in the first half where a Davidson player thew a pass to a teammate being guarded by Newman near half-court. Newman's man bobbled the pass and the ball bounced off his knee across the half-court line. He recovered it, and the referee who was standing right there called over-and-back. The other ref came running in and overturned the call, claiming that the ball was knocked across the line by Newman.

1) WTH did the 2nd referee see? It happened in the open court, and Newman never got within 3 feet of the ball. The Davidson player had him completely shielded. The network confirmed this by showing the replay. If the 2nd ref's vision was blocked, he should have kept his mouth shut.

2) Why did the 1st ref let the 2nd ref overturn his call. He was in perfect position to see the play, and made the right call. He just rolled over and let the 2nd ref overturn his correct call.
The second ref was Mr. Green. I don't know why the first ref acquiesced.

They did mention it on the broadcast that the officials got it wrong. First official needs to stand his ground - even if you need to call a BLARGE! haha.

Now, I will freely admit that Purdue's problems in the game really had little or nothing to do with the officiating (including the aforementioned Mr. Green).....but it's human nature to start wondering when you see a stat like that.

I will go on a tangent here and mention last night's NFL game (different sport but hang on for my point). Late in the game, Washington down 8 with goal-to-go situation. Receiver out wide perhaps off the LOS a little - he checks with the linesman.....he then moves up and appears to get the ok......ball is snapped, and the same official immediately throws the flag negating a Commanders TD on illegal formation. On 4th down, a blatant DPI is let go - Giants win. That kind of stuff is also what makes some wonder.

Ahhhhhh.....I'm just getting older and cranky I guess.

Last edited:
36 free throws to 11 and we’re bitching about the referee lol. The fact that Purdue was 3-24 from three point land might have been the reason why they didn’t cover, that’s just a guess on my part. As someone who gambles on games, many times Purdue ones that is an interesting stat though, tough to pass up trends. Let’s be honest though, let’s not blame him for Saturdays not covering the number, Purdue didn’t shoot well, when that happens a team when favored by double digits isn’t likely to cover.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
36 free throws to 11 and we’re bitching about the referee lol. The fact that Purdue was 3-24 from three point land might have been the reason why they didn’t cover, that’s just a guess on my part. As someone who gambles on games, many times Purdue ones that is an interesting stat though, tough to pass up trends. Let’s be honest though, let’s not blame him for Saturdays not covering the number, Purdue didn’t shoot well, when that happens a team when favored by double digits isn’t likely to cover.
Funny, I didn't read anyone complaining about the ref (other than 1 play). They're just pointing to a continuing statistical anomaly that is really strange. IMO, it's a coincidence (regardless of the P number), but the odds are hard to ignore. If it continues for a few more games, it may not be a coincidence. Then what?

Funny, I didn't read anyone complaining about the ref (other than 1 play). They're just pointing to a continuing statistical anomaly that is really strange. IMO, it's a coincidence (regardless of the P number), but the odds are hard to ignore. If it continues for a few more games, it may not be a coincidence. Then what?
I'm not a statistics expert by any means. But I do place an occasional wager (ok I bet more than occasionally) in the betting world its almost impossible to come up with this kind of a stat. No, I don't believe Green was the reason we didn't cover Saturday. However, that trend line is incredible and one I have tried to take advantage of. We were at the game and saw Green was one of the refs and bet on our app. I always watch the pre-game and the very start of the game to see who the refs are. If I can't get in before the game I place a wager "in game" as soon as it starts.

Chi-Boiler, do you know of any "trends" better than this one? Just asking for a friend!!

We are not complaining about officials as a whole, but Courtney Green in particular. How else do you explain 1-17-1 ATS if there weren't bias? The chance that a supposedly 50-50 event to be that skewed is close to impossible to be just some random fluke.

Also, the FT is not gonna be 50-50 for it to be "fair" when we have the biggest foul magnet in CBB. The sign of a strong, physical team is that they made more FTs than their opponents attempted, and that's us. It could be that 36:11 is unfair to 36 if it should have been 40:8.

That said, I do agree we have ourselves to blame for not hitting the open 3s. The lack of flow and rhythm in the game doesn't help, but it's still no excuse to be 3-25.

We are not complaining about officials as a whole, but Courtney Green in particular. How else do you explain 1-17-1 ATS if there weren't bias? The chance that a supposedly 50-50 event to be that skewed is close to impossible to be just some random fluke.

Also, the FT is not gonna be 50-50 for it to be "fair" when we have the biggest foul magnet in CBB. The sign of a strong, physical team is that they made more FTs than their opponents attempted, and that's us. It could be that 36:11 is unfair to 36 if it should have been 40:8.

That said, I do agree we have ourselves to blame for not hitting the open 3s. The lack of flow and rhythm in the game doesn't help, but it's still no excuse to be 3-25.
Also, IF I was a ref that wanted Purdue to lose to the spread, and we were not hitting 3's, I probably wouldn't need to bias my calls. But that wouldn't take away from my correlation with a losing record to the spread.

We all knew Green ordered the Code Red.....just had to lead him right to where he wanted to be.....

"He referees three hundred yards from fans who are trained to hate him.....nobody's gonna tell him what's a foul......"

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Chi-Boiler, do you know of any "trends" better than this one? Just asking for a friend!!
I don't get paid enough to follow all those kinds of trends, but in my expert opinion it's pretty telling. Obviously the Davidson game isn't really relevant, and some others of the 17 might not be either, but it's telling.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Is Draftkings the service that gives you a hundred dollar credit to start with your bet? I'm not really a gambler, but I'd be willing "to play with someone else's money" using this trendline :D
Almost all of them do give some kind of credit, or a match offer, but unless some of them are doing something I'm not aware of, it has to include as much of your own money in order to use the bonus they give you. You can't use the bonus until you play through your own money.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Almost all of them do give some kind of credit, or a match offer, but unless some of them are doing something I'm not aware of, it has to include as much of your own money in order to use the bonus they give you. You can't use the bonus until you play through your own money.
Also, they have a pretty limited time in which you have to bet it through or it's gone. I think most are 7 days.

Also, they have a pretty limited time in which you have to bet it through or it's gone. I think most are 7 days.
Ours (Barstool) is 30, but yeah, I've had many complaints from customers who were not aware of that.

Crunched the updated rough numbers for this crazy 19-game stretch of 1-17-1 ATS. Just for "fun" since, after all, this is a Purdue board and we ostensibly enjoy math. Assume the spread is 50/50 (pretty close for NCAAM).
  • If we're generous and count the push as a W against the spread, that's 2-17 so P(X<=2) = 0.000364; i.e. the cumulative binomial dist. gives 2750:1 odds a neutral official would see 2 or fewer wins ATS
  • If we ignore the push, that's 1-17 (n=18) and the odds become P(X<=1) = 0.0000725 or about 14,000:1
  • Being mean to Green and counting the push as a loss ATS (after all, if you're not first, you're last) then it's 1-18 and P(X<=1) = 0.0000381 or over 26,000:1
I am still open to the possibility that this is partially or mostly coincidence. Purdue has always been able to shoot itself in the foot with or without the help of officials. And Green can't use telekinesis to make the guys shoot 3-25 from deep (unless he can, which explains a lot) but the numbers are there, and they are bad from a statistical perspective.

Crunched the updated rough numbers for this crazy 19-game stretch of 1-17-1 ATS. Just for "fun" since, after all, this is a Purdue board and we ostensibly enjoy math. Assume the spread is 50/50 (pretty close for NCAAM).
  • If we're generous and count the push as a W against the spread, that's 2-17 so P(X<=2) = 0.000364; i.e. the cumulative binomial dist. gives 2750:1 odds a neutral official would see 2 or fewer wins ATS
  • If we ignore the push, that's 1-17 (n=18) and the odds become P(X<=1) = 0.0000725 or about 14,000:1
  • Being mean to Green and counting the push as a loss ATS (after all, if you're not first, you're last) then it's 1-18 and P(X<=1) = 0.0000381 or over 26,000:1
I am still open to the possibility that this is partially or mostly coincidence. Purdue has always been able to shoot itself in the foot with or without the help of officials. And Green can't use telekinesis to make the guys shoot 3-25 from deep (unless he can, which explains a lot) but the numbers are there, and they are bad from a statistical perspective.
No doubt, crazy trend…sort of like the roulette ball landing on Red 17 of 18 times, it happens but usually the worm turns at some point. Probably wise to bet with the trend until a loss occurs, this site is great, someone will know if he’s reffing or not that day. On a side note, Purdue hasn’t covered in 6 straight games, FanDuel had Purdue -19.5 against Minnesota, maybe some got a push.

I'm not a statistics expert by any means. But I do place an occasional wager (ok I bet more than occasionally) in the betting world its almost impossible to come up with this kind of a stat. No, I don't believe Green was the reason we didn't cover Saturday. However, that trend line is incredible and one I have tried to take advantage of. We were at the game and saw Green was one of the refs and bet on our app. I always watch the pre-game and the very start of the game to see who the refs are. If I can't get in before the game I place a wager "in game" as soon as it starts.

in Pro ball, go against any team playing their 4th game in 5 nights.

Often it is on Twitter about an hour or so before tip-off. Don't know the account or if it's just random media members who tweet it.

Where/when do we find out the referees for the upcoming game?

so for someone that doesn't bet is the ATS over-under-within expected range? Does the 19 total mean 1 game over, 17 under and 1...what within the point spread used or something else. Two or three years ago I started to try to understand the spread and think I only got through the predicatibilty of a win..which used the normal curve. Curious if you or someone can specify the 1-17-1 for this guy ignorant of its meaning. If 50% chance (which may be flawed) for over or under then how many would be suspicious if a person tossed tails 17 times out of 18? If it is under or the games closer, it could be as simple as fewer calls and a more physical wrestling match which would help the less skilled team and hurt the more skilled team.

Anyone care to share what the ATS means?

so for someone that doesn't bet is the ATS over-under-within expected range? Does the 19 total mean 1 game over, 17 under and 1...what within the point spread used or something else. Two or three years ago I started to try to understand the spread and think I only got through the predicatibilty of a win..which used the normal curve. Curious if you or someone can specify the 1-17-1 for this guy ignorant of its meaning. If 50% chance (which may be flawed) for over or under then how many would be suspicious if a person tossed tails 17 times out of 18? If it is under or the games closer, it could be as simple as fewer calls and a more physical wrestling match which would help the less skilled team and hurt the more skilled team.

Against the spread.

Against the spread.

Historically, each game has about a 50% chance of the favorite covering. That’s how Vegas makes its money. Get half the money bet on each side, and make 10% juice off the losers.

We are between 40-60% ATS with basically ALL the other officials, as a frame of reference.

So if you had bet $1000 against Purdue (with whatever the point spread was), the last 23 times that Greene was officiating, you would have made $18,000 or so.

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
Against the spread. Nothing to do with the over/under, but I suppose someone could investigate that as well. So effectively, when Greene refs, Purdue doesn't cover the spread, to an incredibly excessive degree. If Purdue is favored by 12 and wins by 8, we don't cover, so that goes down as an L against the spread. If you bet on Purdue in these 23 or whatever number games, you'd be having some tough conversations with your wife as to your priorities when it comes to spending money.

That being said, teams are strong or poor against the spread all the time. Especially now with the expansion of sports betting (and how I have a job), you commonly see teams' records ATS. Purdue this year is 8-11-1 ATS, maybe with slight variances based on what source you get your number at.

Reactions: tjreese
Against the spread. Nothing to do with the over/under, but I suppose someone could investigate that as well. So effectively, when Greene refs, Purdue doesn't cover the spread, to an incredibly excessive degree. If Purdue is favored by 12 and wins by 8, we don't cover, so that goes down as an L against the spread. If you bet on Purdue in these 23 or whatever number games, you'd be having some tough conversations with your wife as to your priorities when it comes to spending money.

That being said, teams are strong or poor against the spread all the time. Especially now with the expansion of sports betting (and how I have a job), you commonly see teams' records ATS. Purdue this year is 8-11-1 ATS, maybe with slight variances based on what source you get your number at.
BTW, I was already convinced of the statistical anomaly just when the binomial was used so in your 8-11-1 that means the event being compared (Purdue with Greene or random teams with Greene) 8 final scores were OVER and 11 scores were under and 1 score inside the "range" is what I take your post to mean?

BTW, the next step would be to compare Greene on all "Big games" and "all games" (to see if a difference lies there) to the results with when Purdue plays to see how that data compares to other Big Teams and his overall work. If under happens more than to chance, in all comparisons then we know it isn't a Purdue thing as much as the guy just keeps games close which would bring up more questions. Hopefully, I understand the point you stated...and so thank you. If not, quick minor correction on the numbers should steer me right...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT