ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive line

Feb 21, 2013
Yes, this is a tease but I heard from a good source”players parent” Purdue could be getting help from a player that graduates this may! He’s being courted by all the big boys!

He wants to play with Anthrop again. Purdue is definitely the favorite but the SEC big boys are calling also but he love Brohm

Reactions: Zaphod_B
He wants to play with Anthrop again. Purdue is definitely the favorite but the SEC big boys are calling also but he love Brohm
As far as I know, he hasn't entered his name in the transfer portal yet. If anyone is calling, that would be tampering and a NCAA violation correct?

I seen on the iu spring football roster that after the winter in the weight room, he’s up to 320 lbs.

I have never been on that website before (247Sports transfer portal). So I looked at other transfers listed. Illinois is losing for offense of lineman to Transfer!! 10 players altogether, tough goins. I am grateful of our situation!

I would welcome his addition. I take it if he graduates in May, He could be available for Summer camp and he would count against our 2020 scholarships. It's sort of a win now approach. And that seems to be Brohm's philosophy since he arrived.

Yes a grad transfer would receive a scholarship. Depending on when he arrives, he would probably count against our 2020 count. We had one scholarship left which we supposedly gave to Holt. Could we take it back and give it a mystery o linemen?

We seem to be losing a few players. I'm not sure how their loss impacts our 2020 scholarship total. We supposed already have two linebackers counting against it. Our 2020 scholarship total seems lower than the past two years.

Reactions: Futureboiler
Yes a grad transfer would receive a scholarship. Depending on when he arrives, he would probably count against our 2020 count. We had one scholarship left which we supposedly gave to Holt. Could we take it back and give it a mystery o linemen?

We seem to be losing a few players. I'm not sure how their loss impacts our 2020 scholarship total. We supposed already have two linebackers counting against it. Our 2020 scholarship total seems lower than the past two years.
player attrition does not impact the class' signing cap.

I'm double checking. If a grad transfer joins the team this summer and receives a scholarship. Since we have none left to give, that scholarship would be taken from our available ones from 2020. He plays and leaves. And that creates a scholarship for 2021.

This is a rather dumb question. Why can't the remaining years of somebody who left be used for the grad transfer? If a guy is here for 2-3 years and decides to leave what happens to the remaining year of his scholarship? Does it go back in the pool as a full 4 years the following year? The track world is a lot easier to understand as they have full, partial and yearly scholarships

I'm double checking. If a grad transfer joins the team this summer and receives a scholarship. Since we have none left to give, that scholarship would be taken from our available ones from 2020. He plays and leaves. And that creates a scholarship for 2021.

This is a rather dumb question. Why can't the remaining years of somebody who left be used for the grad transfer? If a guy is here for 2-3 years and decides to leave what happens to the remaining year of his scholarship? Does it go back in the pool as a full 4 years the following year? The track world is a lot easier to understand as they have full, partial and yearly scholarships

There are two numbers here. There is the total scholarship limit of 85. This is where attrition comes into play. There is the signing class limit of 25. Attrition does not impact this unless someone decommits prior to signing.

so with attrition, we could be under the 85 imit. But our current class is maxed out.

Maybe the guy always wanted to play for Purdue, and he sees a great chance to play for a better team than IU. If he wasn't recruited by Hazell, then what the hell is he supposed to do. Hope the guy comes to Purdue
This is exactly what happened. In fact, Hudson wanted him as a defensive lineman and Shoop wanted him as an OT. Both wanted to extend an offer on the spot when they each saw him at practice/games at CC. Shoop even called from the practice and wanted to offer on the spot...Hazell refused as all offers and any recruitment had to run through him first. Cronk WANTED to play at Purdue....Hazell never even gave him an offer.

This is exactly what happened. In fact, Hudson wanted him as a defensive lineman and Shoop wanted him as an OT. Both wanted to extend an offer on the spot when they each saw him at practice/games at CC. Shoop even called from the practice and wanted to offer on the spot...Hazell refused as all offers and any recruitment had to run through him first. Cronk WANTED to play at Purdue....Hazell never even gave him an offer.
We had two higher rated players committed at the time, but who gives a shit. Over recruit the OL.

We had two higher rated players committed at the time, but who gives a shit. Over recruit the OL.
OL in 2016 had 4 players who were rated 2 star players. Cronk was a 3 star. Even if Purdue had two higher rated players at the time...he would have still fit in with the 4 player class they ended up taking.

I will totally agree with you. I read a bunch of his tweets and articles on Cronk when he was playing at CC. He really wanted to play for Purdue and the Purdue coaches saw a lot of CC games.

Hazell already had commits from OL Jalen Neal, Hawthorn, and Hermanns , and felt obligated to them. and then Hazell fell in love with every DB he met. In the 2016 class of 23, Hazell signed 9 DBs, not including Anthrop or Sparks who were listed as dual athletes. Why we needed 9 DBs in one class is beyond me other than as space filler.

Cronk had several other offers besides IU from decent power 5 schools including Illinois and iowa st.. And he would have been by far the best OL recruit of that Purdue 2016 class. He had an 88 rating which was close to being a 4 * lineman which are rare. But for some odd reason, Hazell refused to give him an offer. Cronk was decent size for a lineman, so it's not like he would have been a project that needed a lot of beefing up. Hazell's decision process on many things still baffles me.

So Cronk went to IU , and actually contributed as a freshman. he didn't redshirt; he didn't start, but he filled in for several injured linemen. and he started the following year.

a similar story could also be told about OL Knight, who also ended up going to IU. With a little emphasis, Knight could have easily come to Purdue. At the time recruiting offensive linemen was kind of an after thought as our coach was in love with stock piling DBs and RBs.

Seeing guys like Knight and Cronk go to IU and watching others go to Iowa is why I've been so passionate about recruiting offensive linemen. There are more positions for offensive linemen than any other position, and I feel we need to recruit more than just 2-3 a year. what killed Purdue was the 2013 class that only had one lineman - 2* Tretter. I'm not saying we need to sign every available 4/5 star linemen out there. But when you have quality guys like Knight and Cronk who are actually interested, you need to seal the deal.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Okay, we're having alot of discussion about Cronk, but do we even know Cronk is graduating in May, from IU? Also, has he said he is interested in transferring to Purdue? And is Purdue interested in him?

Okay, we're having alot of discussion about Cronk, but do we even know Cronk is graduating in May, from IU? Also, has he said he is interested in transferring to Purdue? And is Purdue interested in him?
Yes he is graduating

Reactions: ChuckJr
DH was waiting on the tape review.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I don’t care if he originally wanted to come to Purdue or not. IF he wants to come now and IF he can help and we have room I’ll take him without hesitation. People make mistakes #1, And #2 I’ll take any and every opportunity to take from IU and add to Purdue. At the end of the day what I really think is that at any given time, I support bringing in any player that wants to come be a part of our team and will help improve our team. I hate IU as much as the next guy but a grad transfer is a grad transfer.

something to think about. I looked up Cronk's ranking at 24/7. he was a 3 * OL with an .8811 rating. He would have been the highest rated offensive lineman to come to Purdue since Ken Plue in 2008. and above all, he WANTED to come to Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT