ADVERTISEMENT

# of AA players?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
During the Duke/Purdue broadcast it was said Purdue is not a school that attracks AA players.

I think @ one time considering all AA teams Purdue was way up there in terms of number of AA players in history.....but cannot find the website with the historical info @ this hour.

How many have we had, and how does that compare nationally?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
During the Duke/Purdue broadcast it was said Purdue is not a school that attacks AA players.

I think @ one time considering all AA teams Purdue was way up there in terms of number of AA players in history.....but cannot find the website with the historical info @ this hour.

How many have we had, and how does that compare nationally?
It was likely meant as "Purdue doesn't recruit McDonalds AAs"

Which is true for the most part. Those can be quite difficult to grab up... Especially in the Big Ten.

Pretty sure the OP meant to say "attract".

We haven't had a lot. Big Dog, Mike Robinson, Luther Clay, Caleb Swanigan, plus maybe 1 or 2 more before I started watching Purdue.

Painter definitely recruits players that go on and become burger boys.

Kind of off topic, but noticed Ivey tweets frequently about Purdue. Some people seemed to think he wasn't close to the program and just wanted his. I'd say that definitely is not the case.

EDIT: looks like OP was asking about AAs, 2nd poster mentioned McDonald's AAs. From what I recall, Bilas was referring to Purdue not attracting McDonald's AAs. Purdue has definitely had its fair share of AAs as pointed out by other posters, they just weren't McDonald's AAs.

Last edited:
Many of Purdues were from earlier years, who became AA

Top ten schools with the most consensus first-team All-Americans are listed below, ranked by total number of selections.

Top ten schools with the most consensus first-team All-Americans are listed below, ranked by total number of selections.

Thanks, that what I was looking for......BUT wasn't Ivey an AA too....seems to be missing from the chart?

Last edited:

Isn't there a supposed blue-blood missing????

Actually, I think we are currently seeing Purdue become a blue blood. We aren’t there yet, and I would argue that we won’t be until we get a final four under our belt, but I think it’s going to happen soon.

I would agree, i would even say we need 2 final fours or 1 national championship to be a true blue blood.

I know we made the final for in 1980, but if we tell IU fans that they are not a blue blood anymore because they havent had a championship since 1987, then we cant use a 1980 final four (which i am not saying you are counting that)

I really hope we break that streak though. I enrolled in Purdue in 1990, i was a student for the big dog years and a fan since, really would love to see us get into the final four. I know my ESPN brackets would be much better if we made it since i usually have Purdue winning it all in a tleast 10 of my 25 brackets, lol.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Actually, I think we are currently seeing Purdue become a blue blood. We aren’t there yet, and I would argue that we won’t be until we get a final four under our belt, but I think it’s going to happen soon.
Agree. although OSU/MICH/MSU will all be busting ass to assume a role too. The old bluebloods are leaving ... who will replace them? Villanova/Gonzaga/Arizona

I just did a fly-by of the past 20 years of final fours ... I did NOT make statistical evaluations... but it seems these are the current blubloods:
Duke
NC
Kansas
MSU
KY
---
UCLA
Villanova

Need multiple FF to be a blue blood.

We got considerable respect at the start of the year just because of Painter. That is the first indication. Second, we are consistently ranked, year after year, and we are always in the NCAA tourney, (except for that COVID year when, according to some, IU would have won it all). :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT