ADVERTISEMENT

O'Connell out for more games?

I am hoping we get to redshirt Brady Allen. With an injury to AOC, that might not happen. I think Brohm would still stick with Burton/Alaimo the rest of the year without AOC.
Barring something really crazy, I can't see how/why they would not redshirt Allen. I did not get the sense that he was close to ready as it was, and, it would be asking a lot of a true freshman, more so with the injuries at the OL, RB, TE and WR positions.

The kid sure looks the part, and, those that sat around me/us at the game on Saturday agreed...big/strong...sure hope that things work out and he develops into the QB that he seemingly has the potential to be.

Barring something really crazy, I can't see how/why they would not redshirt Allen. I did not get the sense that he was close to ready as it was, and, it would be asking a lot of a true freshman, more so with the injuries at the OL, RB, TE and WR positions.

The kid sure looks the part, and, those that sat around me/us at the game on Saturday agreed...big/strong...sure hope that things work out and he develops into the QB that he seemingly has the potential to be.
I'm just hoping Brohm can bring in the skill players to complement him and the OL to protect him.

They can’t play Allen now even if he is close. Alaimo would immediately head to the portal, and that would leave us with 1 scholarship QB next year with an incredibly difficult schedule.

They can’t play Allen now even if he is close. Alaimo would immediately head to the portal, and that would leave us with 1 scholarship QB next year with an incredibly difficult schedule.
Agree...that said, with what we have seen, I think Purdue is going to have to go to the portal anyway for help at the position, and, potentially even to replace Alaimo regardless...it may just be a case of whether Alaimo hits the portal now or later with respect to Allen, but, Purdue needs some depth at that position (and a lot of others) going into next year.

You are right though in that if that were to happen, he would likely leave immediately as you suggest...and, you are right as well about the fact that the schedule next year is tough...yet another reason that it was/is important to take advantage of the situation this year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't get it either. I know there are confidentiality legalities you have to wade thru with health issues. But his lack of being forthcoming in any way, shape, or form is just bizarre. I don't know of any other coach in the B1G who lacks candor as much as Brohm. It's really not helping him become more likeable to the fan base, which could come back to bite him if he continues to lose.
I cannot believe Brohm is taking heat for not releasing an injury report! Why let a team game plan for a particular QB?!?
If you don't think that was a very smart move to not release info on AOC, go back and watch the first offensive series again. Burton takes the O right down the field and scores. We won by 2, without that TD, we lose.
Why was Burton able to march right down the field??? FAU was not prepped for him under center. He was able to do some things before they were able to adjust. That was the difference in the game!
Purdue needs every advantage it can get, even if it is as small as a game prep.
Because some “ fans” of ours just exist to complain.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I would agree with Purdue pat. Brohm has always been secretive about Purdue injuries. I will disagree with the vast majority of other posters here. Because I doubt being secretive has helped Purdue one bit. The other teams know exactly how to prepare for Purdue. It’s not like Brohm changes anything . That’s like last week. The only people who didn’t know AOC wasn’t playing were the diehard fans on this board. AOC didn’t practice all week. Everybody including espn knew AOC wasn’t going to play. Everybody except the fans here know of graham’s injury and expected return.

I have no idea why Brohm feels he has to keep injuries secret. The only thing he is affecting is the betting lines. His secrets are public knowledge. So why doesn’t he just be honest and admit them?

why? Because if he did, he would sell less tickets if the Purdue fans knew their favorite players were not going to play.

we all knew about wright. Why couldn’t Brohm admit the truth?

I cannot believe Brohm is taking heat for not releasing an injury report! Why let a team game plan for a particular QB?!?
If you don't think that was a very smart move to not release info on AOC, go back and watch the first offensive series again. Burton takes the O right down the field and scores. We won by 2, without that TD, we lose.
Why was Burton able to march right down the field??? FAU was not prepped for him under center. He was able to do some things before they were able to adjust. That was the difference in the game!
Purdue needs every advantage it can get, even if it is as small as a game prep.
"Thank goodness we were able to sneak one past FAU since we otherwise couldn't outplay or outcoach them" is what you are going with?

I would agree with Purdue pat. Brohm has always been secretive about Purdue injuries. I will disagree with the vast majority of other posters here. Because I doubt being secretive has helped Purdue one bit. The other teams know exactly how to prepare for Purdue. It’s not like Brohm changes anything . That’s like last week. The only people who didn’t know AOC wasn’t playing were the diehard fans on this board. AOC didn’t practice all week. Everybody including espn knew AOC wasn’t going to play. Everybody except the fans here know of graham’s injury and expected return.

I have no idea why Brohm feels he has to keep injuries secret. The only thing he is affecting is the betting lines. His secrets are public knowledge. So why doesn’t he just be honest and admit them?

why? Because if he did, he would sell less tickets if the Purdue fans knew their favorite players were not going to play.

we all knew about wright. Why couldn’t Brohm admit the truth?
If what Brohm is hiding public knowledge why do you need him to tell you then? Get it from the public.

We can go to the portal for more than 1 QB. Something tells me some SEC or Big10 QBs could be better than Alaimo

I did! Neither Brohm or this forum is my #1 source of information about Purdue football
So you got what you needed, but still felt the need to complain…FYi Brohm owes you nothing and this forums writers aren’t really close and “ inside” with the team.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I know there are confidentiality legalities you have to wade thru with health issues. But his lack of being forthcoming in any way, shape, or form is just bizarre. I don't know of any other coach in the B1G who lacks candor as much as Brohm. It's really not helping him become more likeable to the fan base, which could come back to bite him if he continues to lose.
How much do you really watch of other coach's press conferences and what they say about their players' injuries?

Let's say Aidan is out for an extended period and the season takes a turn down the tubes, say 3-6 by the Illinois game. You could then put Burton on the bench and give Alaimo and Allen split time. This would give them both a reason to stick around and compete for the job, provide a glimpse of the future prospects, all while preserving Allen's redshirt. Let's hope it doesn't come to this.

Players can play up to 4 games and still not burn his RS. I think Allen will be RS unless both Burton and Alaimo can't go.

Reactions: DAG10
Just on example...

In O'Connell's case...I don't need him to say what the issue is/was, or, declare him out even...but, to go an entire week with no acknowledgment at all of the situation is disingenuous...if he had simply mentioned that he was limited, it would have been enough...to hide it altogether was poor.

Reactions: purduepat1969
If AOC has a rib issue, can't he wear a flak jacket? And why was he not wearing one before? In the pros the QBs often wear them as a preventative. Given how important AOC is to the offense, wearing a jacket would seem to be almost a requirement.
Maybe he was already...

Rib injuries are never good, just for the average person, much less someone playing a sport, and, one where they are prone to being hit there repeatedly. Cartilage tears...broken ribs...rib cage muscle strain or tear...even bruised ribs...all troublesome and incredibly painful...and, generally slow to heal as well.

That he played the rest of the Syracuse game (and, played well largely) is both impressive, and, a testament to his general pain tolerance...I am not sure that his sitting out had more to do with both the opponent, and, trying to just get some extra rest leading up to this week...hopefully that is the case...if not, and, he genuinely could not go last week...and can't this week...then there is reason for legitimate concern as to where this is all headed.

Reactions: NVboiler
If AOC has a rib issue, can't he wear a flak jacket? And why was he not wearing one before? In the pros the QBs often wear them as a preventative. Given how important AOC is to the offense, wearing a jacket would seem to be almost a requirement.
I can't imagine this isn't part of the equation. Doesn't outright mean he can play though.

Might limit his mobility!

Side note: Didn't Brees play a bunch of games with broken ribs and that led to a collapsed lung?

ADVERTISEMENT