ADVERTISEMENT

O'Connell and Jones in bowl game

Aug 14, 2008
I was listening to Gold and Black last night and they were discussing Oconnell and Jones. Brian thought neither would probably play citing the fact O’Connell has already started 32 games (not much more to show scouts) and Jones may be too beat up.

Thought it was interesting because I would think both of these guys need to show out as much as possible to get drafted or improve their position.

I was listening to Gold and Black last night and they were discussing Oconnell and Jones. Brian thought neither would probably play citing the fact O’Connell has already started 32 games (not much more to show scouts) and Jones may be too beat up.

Thought it was interesting because I would think both of these guys need to show out as much as possible to get drafted or improve their position.
Yeah, but how many players are going to turn down the chance to play in the Rose Bowl?

Just saw Trice, Durham, and O’Connell all accepted Shrine Bowl invitations. Kind of silly to accept that but not play in the team's bowl game if you ask me.
just a guess, maybe due to less of a chance to injury like the Pro Bowl game where defense is an option.

Just saw Trice, Durham, and O’Connell all accepted Shrine Bowl invitations. Kind of silly to accept that but not play in the team's bowl game if you ask me.
The Shrine Bowl is run by the NFL, with all coaches from NFL staffs. The pre-games practices are a chance to impress. Makes total sense for those hoping to make it to the next level - much more so than risking injury in the meaningless Pinstripe Bowl or wherever we go.

Reactions: pboiler18

I don't see O'Connell doing much in the NFL so I would prefer that he plays in the bowl game.

The Shrine Bowl is run by the NFL, with all coaches from NFL staffs. The pre-games practices are a chance to impress. Makes total sense for those hoping to make it to the next level - much more so than risking injury in the meaningless Pinstripe Bowl or wherever we go.
Purdue bowl games are never meaningless.

As a packers fan, I know they scout the all star bowls and combines more than they scout the real games! If a player wants to play in the nfl they will at least participate in the practices of the all star games!

Players get injured in practice just as much as in actual bowl games

As a packers fan, I know they scout the all star bowls and combines more than they scout the real games! If a player wants to play in the nfl they will at least participate in the practices of the all star games!

Players get injured in practice just as much as in actual bowl games
You’re a packer fan?

I think theyll both play. Those guys wont be potential first round picks like Bell and George. Also Aidan already accepted the senior bowl so why wouldnt he play in the bowl game? Id be most worried of Durham. He has potential to be a top 3-4 TE off the board

I think theyll both play. Those guys wont be potential first round picks like Bell and George. Also Aidan already accepted the senior bowl so why wouldnt he play in the bowl game? Id be most worried of Durham. He has potential to be a top 3-4 TE off the board
esp. w/ the lack of depth there, but Paul is a good TE and there's some games where Payne only had 2 or 3 targets which is puzzling.

Not sure about the Senior Bowl. He accepted a invitation to the East-West Shrine Bowl (Trice and Durham as well). The Senior Bowl is the more prestigious of the 2, or at least it has been. I think NFL staffs are coaching in the Shrine Bowl this year.

Pretty good shot of getting drafted if your selected to the Senior Bowl.

I think his lack of speed will push his draft stock down.

I think his lack of speed will push his draft stock down.
The packers foolishly use speed as their prime factor for drafting DBs! Look at all the #1 picks they’ve used on DBs who had a lot of speed but were total busts! And for QBs, they love arm strength! Many people forgot the Packers drafted and traded for 3 QBs after Rodgers and before Love who were also total busts! And they love speedy WRs who can’t catch the ball. Bell would have been a perfect Packers WR. But they wanted speed instead. For every Watson’s highlight reel catch, he has 2-3 drops!

The packers foolishly use speed as their prime factor for drafting DBs! Look at all the #1 picks they’ve used on DBs who had a lot of speed but were total busts! And for QBs, they love arm strength! Many people forgot the Packers drafted and traded for 3 QBs after Rodgers and before Love who were also total busts! And they love speedy WRs who can’t catch the ball. Bell would have been a perfect Packers WR. But they wanted speed instead. For every Watson’s highlight reel catch, he has 2-3 drops!
That’s just the way the league seems to work. Bell’s lack of speed pushed him down the draft board. They don’t seem to care about how good of a football player they are first, it’s the 40 time that gets them slotted.

That’s just the way the league seems to work. Bell’s lack of speed pushed him down the draft board. They don’t seem to care about how good of a football player they are first, it’s the 40 time that gets them slotted.
Well that’s a mistake on their part! Teams like Green Bay and Buffalo are better off with players who can catch and hold unto the ball. Nobody has speed in the snow or at 10 degrees! Those Florida boys are not going to run a 4.3 in Green Bay in December! But a guy like Bell who can catch a ball would be valuable

Reactions: Tommaker
ADVERTISEMENT