3,124 YDS - 22 TD - 11 INT - QBR 72.5

Jack Plummer
3,095 YDS - 21 TD - 9 INT - QBR 49.7

Interesting similarities

Aidan O’Connell
3,124 YDS - 22 TD - 11 INT - QBR 72.5

Jack Plummer
3,095 YDS - 21 TD - 9 INT - QBR 49.7
And how many -15 yard sacks did Plummer get?

Jack didn’t have the receiving talent either. But probably a better OL. Aidan went up against some stout defenses. I watched both play clearly Aidan was the better QB.

I dunno what this was supposed to stir up…but I’ll bite. AOC had superior everything when it came to Plummer and it was easy to see side by side. We had a hell of a WR crops last year and Plummer was flat out scared at times to pull the trigger. I think it definitely cost us the ND game and almost cost us the Illinois game last year before Aidan saved the day.

All of this said, I think Plummer was an ok college QB. We just had 1 better on the roster.

I dunno what this was supposed to stir up…but I’ll bite. AOC had superior everything when it came to Plummer and it was easy to see side by side. We had a hell of a WR crops last year and Plummer was flat out scared at times to pull the trigger. I think it definitely cost us the ND game and almost cost us the Illinois game last year before Aidan saved the day.

All of this said, I think Plummer was an ok college QB. We just had 1 better on the roster.
I was at the ND game and even the Domers were wondering why we didn’t start AOC.

If you actually watched Plummer play this year, you would have seen nothing has changed. He still holds on to the ball too long and is a drive killer. Hence why his qb rating is dismal compared to AOC.

Reactions: SLoopBoiler
If you actually watched Plummer play this year, you would have seen nothing has changed. He still holds on to the ball too long and is a drive killer. Hence why his qb rating is dismal compared to AOC.
I watched some of their games and he still throws alot of short passes. This coming from someone who thought Jack was the guy because he looked the part. But AOC moved the chains and kept drives going and won me over. Jack's an OK qb but AOC is better.

Not stirring - just sharing what a decent year both had

Reactions: NVboiler
Not stirring - just sharing what a decent year both had
Meh. The stats lie here. Cal is 4-8 and won’t sniff a bowl. Not a great year for Plummer IMO. That said, I’m glad he got to play somewhere. I have absolutely 0 against the kid. Just don’t think he had the gunslinger mentality to make it work here.

Meh. The stats lie here. Cal is 4-8 and won’t sniff a bowl. Not a great year for Plummer IMO. That said, I’m glad he got to play somewhere. I have absolutely 0 against the kid. Just don’t think he had the gunslinger mentality to make it work here.
I’ll never forget being in RA when he came in and won the Nebraska game. My Husker fan buds were like, “Who the #%*$ is this guy!!??”

Reactions: pboiler18
Yep. It was amazing to me that Brohm ever thought Plummer was better. Must have looked better in practice.
Who knows. I’m sure that the walk on tag was hanging over that. You open yourself up to a lot when you start a walk on over a scholie guy, even when one might be slightly better.

O’Connell took big steps in 2020 IMO and should have been the starter going into 2021, no question.

I think because the team as a whole in 2020 didn’t look good because of injuries and Covid, it skewed just how good AOC was and could be.

Definitely think 2021 is a better year for us wins wise if we play AOC from the beginning as well.

Who knows. I’m sure that the walk on tag was hanging over that. You open yourself up to a lot when you start a walk on over a scholie guy, even when one might be slightly better.

O’Connell took big steps in 2020 IMO and should have been the starter going into 2021, no question.

I think because the team as a whole in 2020 didn’t look good because of injuries and Covid, it skewed just how good AOC was and could be.

Definitely think 2021 is a better year for us wins wise if we play AOC from the beginning as well.
The OL looked shaky going into 2021, and I’m sure Plummer’s mobility factored into that decision a bit.

The OL looked shaky going into 2021, and I’m sure Plummer’s mobility factored into that decision a bit.
It goes back to 2019. The run game was nearly nonexistent and even Brohm knew that being completely one-dimensional in the Big Ten is a problem. Also, with Rondale and Bell as the primary weapons, the importance was just getting the ball into their hands and not throwing picks. Brohm gave Plummer multiple opportunities to win the job for his mobility and lack of turnovers. But in the end, his lack of down field throwing ability stunted the offense. Just like in the various 'weather' games, the Brohm offense sputters when it can't stretch the field.

I remember Plummer made very few mistakes. Although he also took very few risks. He’d wait forever looking over the entire field for 46 minutes and then throw the safe pass. His completion percentage was good, but he didn’t move the football

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18

Exactly. Plummer was afraid to throw the ball downfield and into tight windows. Offense took off once Aidan started.

None of those teams have very good defenses.

I find it funny that Big Ten West defenses get ranked by playing not so great Big Ten West offenses. Sorry, but teams like Notre Dame pass the eye test defensively vs teams like Illinois. There's zero way Illinois is a top 10 defense. They're just not. Neither is Minnesota. They are highly overrated. Both teams got exposed by a pretty mediocre Purdue offense. And both had weak schedules...

Alabama is ranked 15th while Illinois is 2nd. You realistically think Purdue would score 31 on 'Bama?...

Last edited:
I find it funny that Big Ten West defenses get ranked by playing not so great Big Ten West offenses. Sorry, but teams like Notre Dame pass the eye test defensively vs teams like Illinois. There's zero way Illinois is a top 10 defense. They're just not. Neither is Minnesota. They are highly overrated. Both teams got exposed by a pretty mediocre Purdue offense. And both had weak schedules...

Alabama is ranked 15th while Illinois is 2nd. You realistically think Purdue would score 31 on 'Bama?...
I don’t think any PAC-12 defenses are very good.

Bama’s defense this year was not close to being as good as it had in years past. I think Purdue would easily put up 27-31 on this years Bama team. Far worse offenses put up more or the same on them.

Bama’s defense this year was not close to being as good as it had in years past. I think Purdue would easily put up 27-31 on this years Bama team. Far worse offenses put up more or the same on them.

Been that way the last couple of years to me......also, they're not quite as dynamic on the outside (still very good)......they were fortunate to get by Texas. Also, a lot of uncharacteristic penalties this year.

ADVERTISEMENT