ADVERTISEMENT

NU up

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
Purdue got off to a really good start, then KG pulls Learn and Terry when we were up 12-2 for Smith and Petree and our offensive flow and rhythm STOPPED. Even putting htem back in did not help because NU found their own rhythm in the mean time. Its now 25-21 with 4 minutes left in the second quarter, and we have 8 TOs and shooting 38%. Ellis our only offensive threat so far; 12 of our 21 points, Harper the only other scorer with 4.

31-30 Purdue at the half. Ellis played every minute and leads all scorers with 17. Harper with 7. Petree, Learn, and Layden all 0-2; Hardin (both threes) and Terry 1-2 and Smith 0-3 but two fts.

56 -48 Purdue at the end of the third. Smith with 5 in the quarter to join in the scoring with Ellis with 20 and Harper with 15. Hardin with 6 and Terry with 4. Petree and Layden both scoreless still Petree -8 in only 9 minutes of play, she really has been a major disruption to Purdue's offense and defense this game when in.

60-60 5 minutes left. TO Purdue. Terrible game by Terry and Petree, bad game from Learn.... 62-60 NU

65-61 NU, beating us 17-5 in the 4th quarter, 2:27 left. NU totally stifling our offense by pressuring Terry at the top of the key and its completely killing our offensive flow.

67-64 NU 38 seconds left NU ball, their freshman center, Markowski with 19 pts, 12 in the 4th quarter and 9 rbs

Absolutely terrible coaching by KG. with 38 seconds in a one possession game, we foul on purpose three times to put them in the bonus but now we are down 5 with 18 seconds left

23-8 to NU in the 4th they win 71-65 and really stupid coaching move by Gearlds in the end of the game..... this is where her lack of real experience bites us in the butt.

I don’t know what to think of this season - seems like there is less energy, effort, and most of all, less belief and confidence. CKG sounded exasperated in her brief postgame comments with Tim. And she DID include herself as a contributor to the bad outcome. Something is way out of synch the last 2-3 weeks. Dysfunctional right now. Hope they find their way. Soon.

I don’t know what to think of this season - seems like there is less energy, effort, and most of all, less belief and confidence. CKG sounded exasperated in her brief postgame comments with Tim. And she DID include herself as a contributor to the bad outcome. Something is way out of synch the last 2-3 weeks. Dysfunctional right now. Hope they find their way. Soon.
Expect more grab bagging random starting lineups.. Markowski just OWNED Harper in the 4th quarter, Learn did little better, and Woltman watched from the bench while the NU big girl made the 4th quarter her show as she outscored our whole team 13-8 in the quarter. Meanwhile, on offense, NU overplayed screens up top. pressured Terry with the ball all over the floor and completely stopped our offense. One Smith I think layup and one desperation heave of a 3 for Terry, her first make of the year..... that was our WHOLE offensive output for the 4th........ pathetic execution, piss poor lack of adjustments from the bench and zero realization from our coach that what she plans isn't always what works..... no plan survives first contact with the enemy, and if you cannot adjust on the fly, you won't win anything significant in this league. UMinn won at PSU and MSU is in OT with Iowa one point game with 30 seconds left.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffBoiler
Of the 9 players NU used against us, 6 are underclassmen, Markowski is s soph, not a frosh, and only one senior in Haiby, a good but replaceable cog. We played 5 seniors, 2 of them 5th year seniors..... and we were the team that looked clueless in the 4th.

Realistically this team is not good and doesn't have very good players in general and they have over achieved so far this year in my opinion. I hope that the seniors don't come back and that coach goes on a youth kick with this years freshman, sophs and incoming freshman. And she needs to hire a big time recruiter and get some real players and athletes recruited or they won't get much better

Reactions: MichaelRR
Realistically this team is not good and doesn't have very good players in general and they have over achieved so far this year in my opinion. I hope that the seniors don't come back and that coach goes on a youth kick with this years freshman, sophs and incoming freshman. And she needs to hire a big time recruiter and get some real players and athletes recruited or they won't get much better
Yep, water eventually finds its level, guessing Harper and Ellis come back, no reason to keep the same team another year, time for some to move on. Team is very flawed, one of the main flaws is athleticism, it gets to be a tough watch because of it. I know Michael likes Terry, I’ll be honest, would love to see what others can do in her spot. She’s a weird player, she does like 4 things good, she rebounds, distributes, turns the ball over, misses shots well lol. Purdue brought in two lower top 100 recruits, I wish we could see them play a little, are they that behind the others on this team? If they are not sure how they’ll help the team next year?

Yep, water eventually finds its level, guessing Harper and Ellis come back, no reason to keep the same team another year, time for some to move on. Team is very flawed, one of the main flaws is athleticism, it gets to be a tough watch because of it. I know Michael likes Terry, I’ll be honest, would love to see what others can do in her spot. She’s a weird player, she does like 4 things good, she rebounds, distributes, turns the ball over, misses shots well lol. Purdue brought in two lower top 100 recruits, I wish we could see them play a little, are they that behind the others on this team? If they are not sure how they’ll help the team next year?

Transfers almost always are flawed.... Terry isn't an offensive threat; Petree is a turnover machine, selfish with the ball, and an inferior rebounder for her height; Harper is too slow to be as short as she is and again, an inferior rebounder; and Ellis is the best of the lot but is height challenged and runs hot and cold on her scoring. The rest of the team is little better; Smith is hot and cold and shoots a terrible 3 pt percentage and under a good coach would have her number of those shots restricted. Layden is slow, soft, and easily taken out of the game mentally. Learn and Woltman foul too much and have little offensive game most of the time. Hardin is a mediocre 3 point shooter and little else.... poor defender, poor ball handler, and if she is not hitting from three is just a waste of minutes. While I stand by my statement that Terry is the best player we have, I by no means state she is a great player nor would she start on any top 40 type of team IMHO, but that doesn't take away from her being our best player. Look what happened to our offense in the 4th quarter against NU when they focused on taking Terry out of the offensive scheme.... it nearly completely shut our offense down. Almost every time Terry goes to the bench, the other team makes a run. But I will let you tell me who replaces her assists and rebounding on this years team if she is not playing? Because I don't see anyone but Ellis and Learn matching her motor and heart and almost everyone taller than her doesn't have the desire to go get the rebounds. Terry is in the top ten nationally this season for games with double digit assists, ranking 4th. She is top five in the BT in assists per game and A/to ratio. Really, who replaces her on this team or even from next years freshmen?

And if the freshmen could play better than anyone in front of them, then we have a massive coaching problem, because if you cannot correctly evaluate the players on your own team, how can you evaluate recruits?

Transfers almost always are flawed.... Terry isn't an offensive threat; Petree is a turnover machine, selfish with the ball, and an inferior rebounder for her height; Harper is too slow to be as short as she is and again, an inferior rebounder; and Ellis is the best of the lot but is height challenged and runs hot and cold on her scoring. The rest of the team is little better; Smith is hot and cold and shoots a terrible 3 pt percentage and under a good coach would have her number of those shots restricted. Layden is slow, soft, and easily taken out of the game mentally. Learn and Woltman foul too much and have little offensive game most of the time. Hardin is a mediocre 3 point shooter and little else.... poor defender, poor ball handler, and if she is not hitting from three is just a waste of minutes. While I stand by my statement that Terry is the best player we have, I by no means state she is a great player nor would she start on any top 40 type of team IMHO, but that doesn't take away from her being our best player. Look what happened to our offense in the 4th quarter against NU when they focused on taking Terry out of the offensive scheme.... it nearly completely shut our offense down. Almost every time Terry goes to the bench, the other team makes a run. But I will let you tell me who replaces her assists and rebounding on this years team if she is not playing? Because I don't see anyone but Ellis and Learn matching her motor and heart and almost everyone taller than her doesn't have the desire to go get the rebounds. Terry is in the top ten nationally this season for games with double digit assists, ranking 4th. She is top five in the BT in assists per game and A/to ratio. Really, who replaces her on this team or even from next years freshmen?

And if the freshmen could play better than anyone in front of them, then we have a massive coaching problem, because if you cannot correctly evaluate the players on your own team, how can you evaluate recruits?
Good post Michael, can’t really disagree. I don’t mind Terry, she does some things well, not sure she needs to be playing over 30 minutes a night though, also, her offensive game hurts, if she could put the ball in the hoop she’s an All Big Ten player, unfortunately she can’t, because of this she forces passes and thus turnovers happen. Let’s be honest, Layden is really struggling this year, that hurts a ton.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Good post Michael, can’t really disagree. I don’t mind Terry, she does some things well, not sure she needs to be playing over 30 minutes a night though, also, her offensive game hurts, if she could put the ball in the hoop she’s an All Big Ten player, unfortunately she can’t, because of this she forces passes and thus turnovers happen. Let’s be honest, Layden is really struggling this year, that hurts a ton.
As for Petree, you’re spot on Michael, I see the same thing. She’s fallen out of favor with the Coach, probably for those exact reasons. My favorite player is Ellis, I do hope she returns, I predict Harper as well because it was pretty much stated how she had 2 years left when she committed to Purdue, she’ll likely return. Terry might be wise to finish elsewhere, possibly a DePaul where they have an inside stud Morrow that can finish on her passes would better suit her if she wants to play another year.

I agree on Layden, and again, I challenge you who do you sub in for Terry? "IF she could score she would be an all Big Ten player"...IF my grandma had wheels she would be a wagon, IF Harper could defend in the post and rebound SHE would be an all Big Ten player.......You can point to almost every run against us in BT play and its when Terry is on the bench..... I think Terry would rather be a slasher from the wing than a PG anyway, so your point about her transferring out is valid; as long as she completes a 4 year degree I cannot see her staying for her fifth year here.

I agree on Layden, and again, I challenge you who do you sub in for Terry? "IF she could score she would be an all Big Ten player"...IF my grandma had wheels she would be a wagon, IF Harper could defend in the post and rebound SHE would be an all Big Ten player.......You can point to almost every run against us in BT play and its when Terry is on the bench..... I think Terry would rather be a slasher from the wing than a PG anyway, so your point about her transferring out is valid; as long as she completes a 4 year degree I cannot see her staying for her fifth year here.
Potts was brought here supposedly for her ball handling and ability to score skills, either she’s nowhere near what they thought or Coach is afraid to use Frosh, I can’t answer that. I would like her to get a shot at 10 minutes a game, Braden Smith sure is working out for the men’s team, let’s see what she’s got. After a few games we’ll know, if she looks lost this will have to be dealt with in the portal, I doubt Terry returns next year.

Potts was brought here supposedly for her ball handling and ability to score skills, either she’s nowhere near what they thought or Coach is afraid to use Frosh, I can’t answer that. I would like her to get a shot at 10 minutes a game, Braden Smith sure is working out for the men’s team, let’s see what she’s got. After a few games we’ll know, if she looks lost this will have to be dealt with in the portal, I doubt Terry returns next year.
The time for that was when we were playing weak teams in the preconference. If kG can't see Potts has the potential to help when she does, we have a failed coach in the making. Right now I trust that Potts isn't ready, but if I was playing her it'd be for Hardin who adds next to nothing when she's in the floor

The time for that was when we were playing weak teams in the preconference. If kG can't see Potts has the potential to help when she does, we have a failed coach in the making. Right now I trust that Potts isn't ready, but if I was playing her it'd be for Hardin who adds next to nothing when she's in the floor
Either way let’s see her get some minutes, what they got going now isn’t working, time to change things up a bit. The fact that both Freshman are getting 0 minutes is strange, I realize it takes time to develope but 0 minutes is odd. Before the year started I was hoping that Stoddard redshirted, she’s a great athlete but in my opinion needed a year to get stronger and ease into the college game. She came in as a 4 year starter on a State Title winning CP team, one that like this one was guard dominant, she averaged double figures without really shooting, most of her points were on missed put backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT