ADVERTISEMENT

NR to #1 -- 21-1 start (darn you Rutgers)

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Very impressive win today Boilers. Loved the retro uniforms. I saw the post earlier about "who would believe" but my question for you history buffs...

Has any college D1 team gone from "NOT RANKED" to #1 and stayed #1 for as many days as Purdue has in 2022-23?

Reactions: DrEss and rgarlitz
Very impressive win today Boilers. Loved the retro uniforms. I saw the post earlier about "who would believe" but my question for you history buffs...

Has any college D1 team gone from "NOT RANKED" to #1 and stayed #1 for as many days as Purdue has in 2022-23?

Good question. From what I found online is it has been done 8 other times. Interestingly, Purdue was the quickest to go from unranked to first in the AP poll.

Reactions: rgarlitz
As much as I hate the loss to Rutgers I think we learned from that one.
Yeah, Purdue's gone 3-0 in one-possession games since the Rutgers loss. So, maybe Purdue's gotten better at executing in crunch time. Getting that first loss can sometimes help a team just settle down and focus on one game at a time--especially a team starting two true freshmen.

Getting that first loss can sometimes help a team just settle down and focus on one game at a time--especially a team starting two true freshmen.
I am hoping they are focussing on Penn State and not looking ahead to the following game. Penn State is obviously dangerous. They have good players, a good coach who knows Purdue's system, and they believe they can win.

ADVERTISEMENT