ADVERTISEMENT

NPR: Set your disbelief gauge to "stunned".

casablanca-shocked.gif

• Love
Reactions: Tommaker
Straight faced and first in line at the bank.

I don’t like all this NIL and transfer portal free agency, but Nick Saban shouldn’t be leading the charge.
At some point 3,5,10 yrs it will show up being a bad stain on the NCAA. What will the fans tolerate before they say “F” it, I’m done?
My NFL watching is 80-90% down from pre-Covid. I suppose when people have to decide to turn their weekly paycheck in to watch a Sunday game vs provide for the family, that will be the breaking point.
College is likely on that same collision course someday.

Last edited:
Straight faced and first in line at he bank.

I don’t like all this NIL and transfer portal free agency, but Nick Saban shouldn’t be leading the charge.
At some point 3,5,10 yrs it will show up being a bad stain on the NCAA. What will the fans tolerate before they say “F” it, I’m done.
My NFL watching is 80-90% down from pre-Covid. I suppose when people have to decide to turn their weekly paycheck in to watch a Sunday game vs provide for the family, that will be the breaking point.
College is likely on that same collision course someday.
It’s crazy to me what people pay for tickets to sporting events these days. Face value on tickets for my local NFL team start at $80 and that’s for seats that come with binoculars and an oxygen mask you’re up so high. The average price of a seat you’d want to sit in is around $200.

Then, they look around and wonder why they can only get 18k in the building for a 4pm game vs the Raiders. Capitalism is great…but I do hate that they are squeezing every penny out of people now Ho genuinely enjoy the game.

If we do hit a recession…will be interesting to see how NFL teams and other sports franchises and leagues adapt

He and Dabo have been against from the start but the state and federal congresses are to blame for the NIL mess we have not the NCAA. It has become the legal way to line the pockets of young athletes with money for doing nothing!

Reactions: Tommaker
Yes, but it will hurt the quality of his depth, as the secondary recruits that he gets will get paid elsewhere...
Dont necessarily agree. Was it texas where every OL got $50k regardless of whether they started or not? Deals like that will spring up at all the elite schools.

Reactions: DAG10
in the old days , people in Georgia and Alabama just literally gave players money as they walked off the field. They then bought their dinners and found loaner vehicles for them. they even provided girls. and they didn't even bother doing it under the table. it was their culture.

Saban is mad because every school can now do the same thing he's been doing for decades.

Reactions: DAG10 and Tommaker
Dont necessarily agree. Was it texas where every OL got $50k regardless of whether they started or not? Deals like that will spring up at all the elite schools.
the problem is there are schools with alumni willing to give money and many schools like purdue that are not. Schools like USC can offer a lot more than money. and the word gets out which school offers the most. offering a player immediate playing time is no longer as big of a recruiting carrot as it used to be.

Teams like Mississippi and Auburn and LSU will just open their check book, and they aren't even considered the big , elite schools.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
the problem is there are schools with alumni willing to give money and many schools like purdue that are not. Schools like USC can offer a lot more than money. and the word gets out which school offers the most. offering a player immediate playing time is no longer as big of a recruiting carrot as it used to be.

Teams like Mississippi and Auburn and LSU will just open their check book, and they aren't even considered the big , elite schools.
Its always been that way. Now its in the open.

Schools like Purdue will eventually need to make a choice as to whether they want to compete or not.

Reactions: indyogb
School has a part in it. Why do you think Purdue is setting up the NIL collective?
Yes, they do. But the real money comes from donors. And they have to decide how deep their pockets are...

The problem for Purdue is they don't have the big "jump on the bandwagon" fans that Alabama has. You know, reversible jacket type of fans...

Yes, they do. But the real money comes from donors. And they have to decide how deep their pockets are...

The problem for Purdue is they don't have the big "jump on the bandwagon" fans that Alabama has. You know, reversible jacket type of fans...
Unfortunate as purdue has several high net worth graduates.

For donors who own their own business, far easier to write off a paid fee for a commercial that a kid does than a hundred dollar handshake.

Yes, but it will hurt the quality of his depth, as the secondary recruits that he gets will get paid elsewhere...
Correct. They'll be able to pay the gray shirts, keeping them off the table from the other schools without violating roster limits. It's back to the 60's!

Reactions: purduepat1969
there is also a difference in culture and business practices. In the South, people give away money to athletes and write it off as either a business expense or a charitable educational donation. And the IRS has always looked the other way. in the north , people and companies are not as giving and a little more honest in their tax write offs and accounting.

people down south think nothing of giving an athlete a $100 after a game, but they refuse to spend $20 for some boy scout popcorn.

I was a rabid Reds fan from 61 til the mid 90s. I no longer even look at scores or standings since MLB has become only the playground of teams with deep pockets. I'm starting to think that while I'm a Boiler for life the day may come when I no longer set aside time to watch a FB or BB game because NIL and the portal will make college sports less competitive than it has been.

I was a rabid Reds fan from 61 til the mid 90s. I no longer even look at scores or standings since MLB has become only the playground of teams with deep pockets. I'm starting to think that while I'm a Boiler for life the day may come when I no longer set aside time to watch a FB or BB game because NIL and the portal will make college sports less competitive than it has been.
Yep. That and everything else.

He and Dabo have been against from the start but the state and federal congresses are to blame for the NIL mess we have not the NCAA. It has become the legal way to line the pockets of young athletes with money for doing nothing!
The NCAA is definitely to blame here. They dragged their feet as long as possible when they should have been working on this years and years ago. If they would have been proactive, they could have set up a legit system with actual rules. Instead they just squeezed every penny they could out of their system until Congress forced their hand. Now the floodgates have opened and there’s no closing them.

Reactions: DAG10
I think eventually these deals will dry up and not happen as people begin to figure out the value of these college athletes is not as high as they themselves would project.

I think eventually these deals will dry up and not happen as people begin to figure out the value of these college athletes is not as high as they themselves would project.
Agree there. I don’t think you’ll see a deal like ewers got again

Reactions: pboiler18
Correct. They'll be able to pay the gray shirts, keeping them off the table from the other schools without violating roster limits. It's back to the 60's!
Most kids aren’t going to sit on the sidelines at Alabama for 2 years when they are promised immediate PT at other P5 programs. They’ll hit the portal.

I don’t know… As long as there’s rich boosters willing to pay the best recruits whatever it takes to go to their school, I don’t see these bidding wars ending anytime soon.

I don’t know… As long as there’s rich boosters willing to pay the best recruits whatever it takes to go to their school, I don’t see these bidding wars ending anytime soon.
We weren’t beating Alabama and Georgia out for the top 150-200 guys anyway. We just need to get the 200-500 guys to come start right away here instead of riding the pine there. The equalizer is only 11 guys can play at a time.

The NCAA is definitely to blame here. They dragged their feet as long as possible when they should have been working on this years and years ago. If they would have been proactive, they could have set up a legit system with actual rules. Instead they just squeezed every penny they could out of their system until Congress forced their hand. Now the floodgates have opened and there’s no closing them.
Have to disagree. The NCAA dragged their feet as they knew it would be an unequal tool and impossible to oversee and to make the dominate programs in all sports stay that way! It has turned out to be the MESS just as the Portal is! Their main goals are to keep sports safe, open to all and equal to all schools in their respective Divisions and it is definitely NOT! Alabama, while SABAN doesn’t like it but has to use or drop from theIr status…WR from Ohio State, Tackle from Vanderbilt and a few more this year, he is no fool and will use the rule as Dabo does but both say it is bad for football. Change the portal rule so 1) if one leaves because a Head Coach leaves they can leave too but sit out one year and get it back if they graduate, 2) end the graduate transfer rule it’s a shame and 3) use the baseball rule that one can go anywhere after they stay two years at their first school with immediate eligibility unless they follow a coach that left that year, see my #1

Last edited:
Agree there. I don’t think you’ll see a deal like ewers got again
You say that…but there’s that QB going to Tennessee who was rumored to get $8million in NIL money. I’d imagine that money is wrapped up in a ton of performance stipulations though. And if the kid doesn’t pan out it’s going to make the boosters VERY weary of putting up that kind of money again in the future.

These NIL collectives are unsustainable at high dollar levels IMo. There’s already an immense amount of pressure for coaches and players to perform. Then tie personal dollars from boosters directly to players and now you have boosters forcing kids out of programs. I think this thing could get uglier for more people than it helps!

You say that…but there’s that QB going to Tennessee who was rumored to get $8million in NIL money. I’d imagine that money is wrapped up in a ton of performance stipulations though. And if the kid doesn’t pan out it’s going to make the boosters VERY weary of putting up that kind of money again in the future.

These NIL collectives are unsustainable at high dollar levels IMo. There’s already an immense amount of pressure for coaches and players to perform. Then tie personal dollars from boosters directly to players and now you have boosters forcing kids out of programs. I think this thing could get uglier for more people than it helps!
I thought I saw somewhere that you couldn’t have performance conditions

in the old days , people in Georgia and Alabama just literally gave players money as they walked off the field. They then bought their dinners and found loaner vehicles for them. they even provided girls. and they didn't even bother doing it under the table. it was their culture.

Saban is mad because every school can now do the same thing he's been doing for decades.
So Georgia was paying their players all along and they just won their Natty 41 years after their last one? Hearsay unless you have personally seen cash exchange hands. An why not giver credit to Sabans coaching ability and culture. He could probably take us and in 3 years we would be a constant 10 win team.

So Georgia was paying their players all along and they just won their Natty 41 years after their last one? Hearsay unless you have personally seen cash exchange hands. An why not giver credit to Sabans coaching ability and culture. He could probably take us and in 3 years we would be a constant 10 win team.

Have to disagree. The NCAA dragged their feet as they knew it would be an unequal tool and impossible to oversee and to make the dominate programs in all sports stay that way! It has turned out to be the MESS just as the Portal is! Their main goals are to keep sports safe, open to all and equal to all schools in their respective Divisions and it is definitely NOT! Alabama, while SABAN doesn’t like it but has to use or drop from theIr status…WR from Ohio State, Tackle from Vanderbilt and a few more this year, he is no fool and will use the rule as Dabo does but both say it is bad for football. Change the portal rule so 1) if one leaves because a Head Coach leaves they can leave too but sit out one year and get it back if they graduate, 2) end the graduate transfer rule it’s a shame and 3) use the baseball rule that one can go anywhere after they stay two years at their first school with immediate eligibility unless they follow a coach that left that year, see my #1
I agree that this whole thing is a mess, but I’m not sure I follow why you think the NCAA dragged their feet. If it is literally their job to promote fairness, why wouldn’t they want to develop a plan to make this as fair as possible? They seem to love overseeing the benefits that players get (e.g. suspending players for putting cream cheese on a bagel during a visit). They could have easily gotten in front of this. Really this whole thing started several years ago when players complained about not getting paid for being in the CFB video games. They could have just said all players get x amount of $ from EA Sports and it would have set some precedent. While it certainly would be a massive undertaking to oversee, being proactive with this would have mitigated a lot of the issues we have now.

I agree that this whole thing is a mess, but I’m not sure I follow why you think the NCAA dragged their feet. If it is literally their job to promote fairness, why wouldn’t they want to develop a plan to make this as fair as possible? They seem to love overseeing the benefits that players get (e.g. suspending players for putting cream cheese on a bagel during a visit). They could have easily gotten in front of this. Really this whole thing started several years ago when players complained about not getting paid for being in the CFB video games. They could have just said all players get x amount of $ from EA Sports and it would have set some precedent. While it certainly would be a massive undertaking to oversee, being proactive with this would have mitigated a lot of the issues we have now.
They dragged their feet because the prospect of litigation scarred them to death (and rightfully so). Litigation would’ve meant protracted discovery, and the golden goose that exists would’ve ultimately been seized and strangled by all the parties (mostly past, current, and future players) who had been deprived of those revenues for years. The NCAA exists and works at the behest of the universities and their senior administrators. They make and enforce the rules and do the dirty work that keeps university presidents high and dry from these endeavors, which most of them consider to be necessary evils via which money can be raised. Giving away a little years ago would’ve led to giving away a lot now, and too many of them just couldn’t make the leap.

Aren’t we all capitalists? This is the rich beating the poor. Why not celebrate it? Capitalism isn’t capitalism if you don’t like it because you happen to be a fan of the little guy about to be crushed by the big guy.

did the ncaa really drag their feet? Is the system not working? Or if you look at it from the point of view of the blue bloods, is the system where “no one can believe there aren’t any rules .. would you look at that!?” Working just fine? It’s not a bug, it’s a feature

And I think he says it with a straight face!

Well he's just mad because now everyone else is on the same level as he is since he has been paying players for years I am guessing. I don't like NIL at all myself, but this is s silver lining.

ADVERTISEMENT