ADVERTISEMENT

NPR: ESPN taking the dive

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
This isn't a new story, they've been bleeding viewership for years, I guess I'm wondering where do the eyes go to? The BT is getting ready to negotiate what is assumed to be one of the biggest contracts ever, but who will be paying for it and why? sports has been somewhat "drop-off proof" but the demographics don't lie, every year the amount of people watching ANYTHING decreases as the prime demographic decreases (and the older viewers "Shuffle off this Mortal Coil").

Reactions: SKYDOG
This isn't a new story, they've been bleeding viewership for years, I guess I'm wondering where do the eyes go to? The BT is getting ready to negotiate what is assumed to be one of the biggest contracts ever, but who will be paying for it and why? sports has been somewhat "drop-off proof" but the demographics don't lie, every year the amount of people watching ANYTHING decreases as the prime demographic decreases (and the older viewers "Shuffle off this Mortal Coil").

As NIL and the portal begin to undermine what is left of competitive balance, I think TV ratings will go down. Folks will be tempted to explore this place known to some as “Outside”.

The only time I watch ESPN is when Purdue is being televised. I don't care for their political input and I don't care for the way they broadcast games. Way too many graphics on the screen during games, split screens, break aways to other games, and lots of commercials. Hope ESPN goes belly up.

The only time I watch ESPN is when Purdue is being televised. I don't care for their political input and I don't care for the way they broadcast games. Way too many graphics on the screen during games, split screens, break aways to other games, and lots of commercials. Hope ESPN goes belly up.
Don’t forget the Hubert Davis 30 for 30 during our game.

it's sort of like who wants to be a millionaire and all the american idol and all the stupid reality and home shows and CNN. they were nice when they were once a week or once a day. But when you start flooding the market with the same thing non stop 24/7, we all got tired of watching the same thing over and over. you hit the point of diminishing returns. we're tired of seeing the same story.

and I'm not trying to be political. how many times do you need to see an Aaron rodgers TD pass? or hear the story about the drunk qB getting hit by a dump truck? or the 59th version of the updated NFL mock draft ? and now we have the revised grades of the last 5 previous drafts. We already know love and turbiskey were a bust. we don't need ESPN to remind us.

College Bowl games were nice until ESPN took all of them .

the BIG 10 network ? I remember when it was first being hyped, they said it would be about educational stuff too. Sorry, I don't want to watch meaningless games at 2 am. give me my game live. I don't want to relive a loss 5 years later.

so TAKE A HIKE !!!! literally, turn your cel l phone and computer off, and go outside and get some fresh air. and talk to somebody and shake their hand. Communicate. Get to know your neighbor. make love. Don't let your life be known for how many internet posts you make daily.

Reactions: indyogb
I told you all Love was a bust . maybe i should sue ESPN for repeating my posts. I once saw my entire internet post about the Milwaukee bucks in a column in the Milwaukee journal 2 days later. it was obvious he needed to fill space for his weekly column, so my post was long enough ( they all are ) to fill the space he needed filled. and like always, while everybody put down my internet post, his column was praised.

As NIL and the portal begin to undermine what is left of competitive balance, I think TV ratings will go down. Folks will be tempted to explore this place known to some as “Outside”.
You got a good laugh out of me with this one.

I agree fully. If Purdue begins to lose more than it gains in transfers.. and it results in us not being able to be nearly as competitive or go bowling.. I’m out, period. Won’t watch another game.

Reactions: indyogb
I get tired of all the stupid programs that have people like Steven A and those types of hosts that just scream their points daily, Luka is the greatest player, next day Luka is overrated, next day Luka should be voted into the HOF, I guess these programs work for the younger generations?

However, it is the high price of sports that is destroying sports. The continued rise in rates is being driven by these big contracts. Forget inflation at the pumps and at the grocery store. It is the sports world. You got Tom Brady that is going to get 10 years and $317 million after he retires I guess when he is 60. Pretty soon every QB in the NFL is going to be getting close to $40 million a year. Now, the NCAA has given released the next biggest driver, which is the NIL that has caused complete chaos in college sports. We will have the haves and the have nots. I am starting to worry that we are going to be in the have nots, since we have shown, at least early on, that we are not going to play this game with the NIL.

Who pays for all this, it is the fans in higher cable/streaming rates, ticket prices, concessions, etc. Eventually, this will have to lead to where the average fan is priced out. I guess it will be the National League of Cornhole pretty soon in place of MLB, NBA, NFL and college sports?

Last edited:
I get tired of all the stupid programs that have people like Steven A and those types of hosts that just scream their points daily, Luka is the greatest player, next day Luka is overrated, next day Luka should be voted into the HOF, I guess these programs work for the younger generations?

However, it is the high price of sports that is destroying sports. The continued rise in rates is being driven by these big contracts. Forget inflation at the pumps and at the grocery store. It is the sports world. You got Tom Brady that is going to get 10 years and $317 million after he retires I guess when he is 60. Pretty soon every QB in the NFL is going to be getting close to $40 million a year. Now, the NCAA has given released the next biggest driver, which is the NIL that has caused complete chaos in college sports. We will have the haves and the have nots. I am starting to worry that we are going to be in the have nots, since we have shown, at least early on, that we are not going to play this game with the NIL.

Who pays for all this, it is the fans in higher cable/streaming rates, ticket prices, concessions, etc. Eventually, this will have to lead to where the average fan is priced out. I guess it will be the National League of Cornhole pretty soon in place of MLB, NBA, NFL and college sports?

It's the movie BASEketball... have to watch that movie a few times and get the rules down, lol

Reactions: pboiler18

I agree fully. If Purdue begins to lose more than it gains in transfers.. and it results in us not being able to be nearly as competitive or go bowling.. I’m out, period. Won’t watch another game.

Ditto

ESPN was awesome when they reported score updates of games. There was a very popular olympics several decades ago that in-between events would include stories of the athletes. Since the ratings were high, execs thought that was what viewers craved for. So instead of covering sports, they started doing bio stories. it was much like MTV stopped showing music videos for other junk. when ESPN started doing more editorial and bios , they started losing their audience. and when they started filling their air time with games of teams nobody wanted to watch, they lost more. then they decided we all needed to watch the same game and it's replay 10,000 times. after the 10th time, we all knew who won. and then they decided to have ESPN, ESPN 2 ESPN college, ESPN 79 and who knows how many other ESPN cable networks. they killed their network by super saturating it and by getting away from what they did best. i didn't want to know about bruce jenner's private life. i just wanted some actual sports coverage. I didn't want to go down memory land with Coach K. i just wanted to watch some sports.

i don't even go to their PAY per view website anymore. much like another website, their website provides pictures and headlines and then expects people to pay to read the rest of the article. I'm tired of headline journalism using click and bait tactics on the internet. a guy from baylor made a commitment via the transfer portal. Click and Find out more. Did he commit to purdue ? click here and find out.

Reactions: ChuckJr

Yep.

I can live with getting beat out for HS recruits by the big boys. But if they start poaching our roster, (like Pitt with Addison for example) I’m out.

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Yep.

I can live with getting beat out for HS recruits by the big boys. But if they start poaching our roster, (like Pitt with Addison for example) I’m out.
And it kinda sucks too.. because it looked like we were on our way to consistently performing in both sports. The first prediction video I saw has us at 9-3 ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa

And it kinda sucks too.. because it looked like we were on our way to consistently performing in both sports. The first prediction video I saw has us at 9-3 ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa
Here are some things each program still can sell, as I see it:

Immediate Playing Time: You will play here. Only 11 can play at a time (or 5). You aren’t making the pros from the pine.

Development: we have a track record of helping players be the best versions of themselves.

Purdue degree: Prepare you for the next 50 years, whether you make the pros or not.

Immediate playing time has never been a big selling point to 4/5 star athletes. they expect to be able to beat out the competition as freshmen. and when they don't, like Carr, they leave. Purdue also has a habit of playing their senior members over more talented younger players. Younger players redshirt, and that's not a huge selling point. Very few elite players go to a college with the desire to redshirt. i can see the 2-3 star players buying into this philosophy. But are we going to go back to the days of recruiting MAC caliber players and diamonds in the rough and spend 2-3 years trying to develop them into the best they can be which is mediocre? it's nice to see Horvath be successful. but we also recruited several 4 star RBs that didn't develop at all.

Developing players ? GK was a stud when he arrived. We have developed some Wrs and Qbs. But our development of offensive linemen totally suucks. Our great concept of redshirting lineman so they can add more strength and pounds isn't working to really develop them. our most successful linemen are the ones who arrived ready to play like hartwig.

as for the purdue degree, it's awesome if you want to be an engineer or a scientist or pharmacist or vet.. if you go for an education degree or sports management or English or many other degrees, it doesn't compete with what job offers other school grads receive . if you want to be a CPA, Purdue is not the place to go. take a look at what degree programs football players are in. I don't see many landscape architects. or culinary arts, or teachers , or CPAs or librarians or music. every school offers sports management degrees. Purdue is not the greatest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT