ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the cat is out of the bag, how will this play out? NCAA ruling

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001

The few issues that came to mind:
  • More sports program closures.
  • Can paid players be fired? Sounds stupid at first pass, but this is $$$'s at work.
  • Can paid players be booed? I'm not in on the booing part, but it certainly does beg the question?
  • Do strong programs get stronger and weak programs get weaker? I.E. Alabama & Clemson football, Duke & UNC basketball.
  • Will there be salary caps for team parity or will O$U run away with all the talent? Hell, maybe Yale or Harvard becomes the blue bloods soon enough with their $$$'s backing them.
I'm positive things will level out, but for cheating programs, they'll look to make hay for a short period of time. I just hope that when they do push the $$$'s offer to players, they prepare the young athletes to make good decisions and train them to not foolishly blow it away as they are one injury away from entering the working world where nobody cares what they did previously.

Last edited:
These "education-related" benefits are quickly going to morph into the currency in bidding wars for recruits. "Hey Bubba, you're gonna need a car to get to class as an educational benefit. Lookie here at this Corvette we've got for you, and already painted in our team colors."

Another issue, what happens when the star football players capitalize on their names, images and likenesses while the women's volleyball team doesn't make squat.

These "education-related" benefits are quickly going to morph into the currency in bidding wars for recruits. "Hey Bubba, you're gonna need a car to get to class as an educational benefit. Lookie here at this Corvette we've got for you, and already painted in our team colors."

Another issue, what happens when the star football players capitalize on their names, images and likenesses while the women's volleyball team doesn't make squat.
It destroys Title 9.

Reactions: Purdue85
Personally, at this point I'd just as soon see the entire model blown up and return colleges to amateur athletics. If that means a minor league where the best 18-22 year olds are playing for the Tuscaloosa Elephants and the Columbus Nuts and some scrawny pimple faced kids are playing for the University of Alabama and Ohio State, then so be it.

Personally, at this point I'd just as soon see the entire model blown up and return colleges to amateur athletics. If that means a minor league where the best 18-22 year olds are playing for the Tuscaloosa Elephants and the Columbus Nuts and some scrawny pimple faced kids are playing for the University of Alabama and Ohio State, then so be it.
Who knows, that may even be a possibility. G League is already in place for basketball. Create a G league for Football and bring on the pimple faced kids, blow up the current NCAA structure "for profit" and make it non-profit so that money goes back into the institutions and any overflow from established budgets goes back to State Tax payers!!! How about that?
Get rid of NCAA structure completely of Mark Emmert & all the conference commissioners, phase out all the high paid coaches to level the playing field. Our pimple face kids can beat your pimple faced kids.

Big $$$ and wishful thinking.

You have to think that's where all of this is heading. Like a 24 team "super league" of college football powers acting as an honest-to-God NFL minor league and the rest in an old-school college football league.

Even though I think the B1G will come together with some strict limits, it's going to be an arms race that VERY few schools or conferences will have the stomach to endure.

Reactions: Sophie1970
You have to think that's where all of this is heading. Like a 24 team "super league" of college football powers acting as an honest-to-God NFL minor league and the rest in an old-school college football league.

Even though I think the B1G will come together with some strict limits, it's going to be an arms race that VERY few schools or conferences will have the stomach to endure.
The issue isn't whether compensation for name, image & likeness (NIL) will become a recruiting tool, but how can it possibly NOT become a recruiting tool? We all know that hundred dollar handshakes have been going on for years. Now we're going to see open bidding wars.

Be aware that the University of Texas and Texas A&M have already set up programs to help their athletes market their NIL. The Longhorn program is termed LEVERAGE and the Aggie program is named AMPLIFY. Google them for yourself.

The issue isn't whether compensation for name, image & likeness (NIL) will become a recruiting tool, but how can it possibly NOT become a recruiting tool? We all know that hundred dollar handshakes have been going on for years. Now we're going to see open bidding wars.

Be aware that the University of Texas and Texas A&M have already set up programs to help their athletes market their NIL. The Longhorn program is termed LEVERAGE and the Aggie program is named AMPLIFY. Google them for yourself.
Purdue has the same thing through Krannert, called EMPOWER.

Who knows, that may even be a possibility. G League is already in place for basketball. Create a G league for Football and bring on the pimple faced kids, blow up the current NCAA structure "for profit" and make it non-profit so that money goes back into the institutions and any overflow from established budgets goes back to State Tax payers!!! How about that?
Get rid of NCAA structure completely of Mark Emmert & all the conference commissioners, phase out all the high paid coaches to level the playing field. Our pimple face kids can beat your pimple faced kids.

Big $$$ and wishful thinking.
Not sure it's even possible to walk back the current situation.

Are they going to "nuke" the BTN? Nope. Fans want to see their school play (I'm guilty). Fans also want the best experience when they travel to their school's stadium/arena. (Guilty, again.) Fans also want to financially support their school's athletics department.

Unfortunately, the issue isn't the availability of a true farm system for football and basketball. The real issue is greed. There's a LOT of money flowing around college athletics, and greedy attorneys, parents and some players are angling to get their hands on the money. It's no more difficult than that. Today's players didn't build this system, they're beneficiaries of years of the system being built. From Griese to Herrmann to Everett to Dicken to Brees to today. Today's players didn't build it, but they sure as h*ll seem determined to milk it.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Not sure it's even possible to walk back the current situation.

Are they going to "nuke" the BTN? Nope. Fans want to see their school play (I'm guilty). Fans also want the best experience when they travel to their school's stadium/arena. (Guilty, again.) Fans also want to financially support their school's athletics department.

Unfortunately, the issue isn't the availability of a true farm system for football and basketball. The real issue is greed. There's a LOT of money flowing around college athletics, and greedy attorneys, parents and some players are angling to get their hands on the money. It's no more difficult than that. Today's players didn't build this system, they're beneficiaries of years of the system being built. From Griese to Herrmann to Everett to Dicken to Brees to today. Today's players didn't build it, but they sure as h*ll seem determined to milk it.
I think the end result will be the end of all scholarships for unprofitable sports, except for the minimum number of women’s scholarships to satisfy Title IX.

In other words, Purdue will ultimately get rid of all varsity men’s sports except for FB and BB, then they will fund 98 women’s scholarships in the cheapest manner possible.

• Wow
Reactions: bumpstock
I think the end result will be the end of all scholarships for unprofitable sports, except for the minimum number of women’s scholarships to satisfy Title IX.

In other words, Purdue will ultimately get rid of all varsity men’s sports except for FB and BB, then they will fund 98 women’s scholarships in the cheapest manner possible.
Lot of club sports ahead for all D1 colleges to end scholarships of non revenue sports. Would not be surprised if D2's change classifications to D3 to avoid payments to any players and end scholarships, the rest runs downhill.

Wouldn't be suprised if the attorneys for conferences collaborate and comb thru the new law & contracts to have a more unified response by early 2022.

Lot of club sports ahead for all D1 colleges to end scholarships of non revenue sports. Would not be surprised if D2's change classifications to D3 to avoid payments to any players and end scholarships, the rest runs downhill.

Wouldn't be suprised if the attorneys for conferences collaborate and comb thru the new law & contracts to have a more unified response by early 2022.
Conferences may soon have to decrease, or even eliminate, the minimum number of varsity sports required per school.

Yeah this is opens a horrible Pandora's box and I fully envision that some schools will become even bigger juggernauts because they pay more.

It only gets worse from here.
You nailed it. There will also be backlash when female athletes are not bringing in the same NIL income as men. Actually, "backlash" is an understatement. Expect hysterical hissy fits and screaming, frothing, foaming, rabid tantrums.

I think BB and FB will quickly be funded in certain ways that could possibly eliminate them even being called "scholarships" and rid ADs from any scholarship requirements of Title IX.

How long before the cornpoppers find out the true meaning of nil?

If and when they do, will they change the name of their new NILbraska program -- or keep it rather than admit how stupid it is. I'm betting on the latter.

As they say, the N on the helmet is for knowledge.

From the article:

Moos said that Nebraska wanted to be a first mover because allowing athletes to sign endorsement deals or start their own businesses is a clear advantage on the recruiting trail. Innovation, he said, is part of the Huskers ethos: Nebraska was one of the first universities to embrace weightlifting as part of its football program in the 1970s and pioneered life skills courses for all athletes in the late 1980s.

It was a natural step to launch “#NILbraska,” as the university is calling it: a three-pronged plan that aims to educate Nebraska’s 650-some athletes enrolled at the Lincoln campus on how to maximize the opportunities afforded them once they own their rights to their name, image and likeness. Unlike many of the other NIL-related partnerships cropping up across the country, #NILbraska will pull resources from several existing academic departments on campus and is designed to benefit all undergraduates, not just athletes.

My reaction to this.....nobody is making these players play for free. They are choosing to do this of their own free will and volition. I don't think minimum wage, payment for services, etc. applies here.

I also think its ignorant for us to believe that a 25-50K academic scholarship, room, board, stipend....that these kids are hard off.

NIL is a cluster and already opened the door for corruption. This just leaves the door totally wide open for the haves to pay guys and the have nots to continue to flounder. Greed is going to kill the sport we love and sadly I feel like Purdue will be on the outside looking in on this....at least for football.

Also, at the end of the day....doesn't this totally blow up Title 9? If we have to pay the football team millions of dollars.....why doesn't the field hockey team get the same? (I know why.....but this is a question and legal challenge we will no doubt soon see).

One day after I ridiculed above the idiotic 'NILbraska' slogan, the AD resigned.

Now if we could just make NILbraska resign from the big ten, along with the ruts.

Well, during March Madness do you remember the outrage because the men's tourney in Indy had better weight-lifting facilities than the women's tourney in San Antonio?
Yes.That was small potatoes compared to the storm that is coming.

I hope that anyone that gets to benefit from these new rules, has to pay their own way so the school can take their free ride and give it to someone else.

Welcome to the pro sports farm leagues folks.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I hope that anyone that gets to benefit from these new rules, has to pay their own way so the school can take their free ride and give it to someone else.

Welcome to the pro sports farm leagues folks.
That’s just it: scholarships won’t be that big of a deal, especially for instate kids going to a state school.

For example: UT and TAMU could each sign 25 Texas HS “walkons” a year and hook them up with endorsement deals that more than pay for their college expenses. Then use their scholarships elsewhere.

Agree....walk on but this car dealership or this pizza restaurant or this car wash (or eventually, this athletic clothing giant or this F500 company) will pay you $250K to come play for us.

While the shit hasn't hit the fan yet....this will get exploited to the maximum and by the time all is found out it will be far far too late to ever go back.

Im still a fan of limiting the NIL stuff to autograph signings, merchandise, etc....basically things that can be easily controlled by the school, $ held in trust until the athlete is no longer an amateur and distributed to them when they leave school or no longer are an amateur.

Agree....walk on but this car dealership or this pizza restaurant or this car wash (or eventually, this athletic clothing giant or this F500 company) will pay you $250K to come play for us.

While the shit hasn't hit the fan yet....this will get exploited to the maximum and by the time all is found out it will be far far too late to ever go back.

Im still a fan of limiting the NIL stuff to autograph signings, merchandise, etc....basically things that can be easily controlled by the school, $ held in trust until the athlete is no longer an amateur and distributed to them when they leave school or no longer are an amateur.
The guy who’s going to put this to maximum use starting right now is Saban. He already has a roundtable of booster businesses to provide jobs for former Tide players. Now he’ll deploy them with current players.

Reactions: Purdue85

Who said the school will have any control? An athlete can merchandise his NIL directly with a business that is interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT