ADVERTISEMENT

Notre dame is meh, Purdue’s players are plenty good … I think the mentality of

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
“We have to call the kinda plays where Jack doesn’t get pressured” is why we aren’t winning.

I really feel like plummer is good enough and the team is good enough to go into the locker room, adjust, and whether it’s the coaches calls or plummer throwing behind the line” say “it’s time to stand in there and see if we can win this thing.”

im proud of this team and everyone in that locker room is plenty good enough, but you’re gonna have to get hit in the face to beat these guys. Repetitive 11 handoffs and throws behind the line isn’t gonna beat ND. I wish it would but it’s not..

I’m not mad about the first half but they could be winning and they can win this game. Notre dame is not impressive .. they’re good, but we could easily be up 13-3/7

“We have to call the kinda plays where Jack doesn’t get pressured” is why we aren’t winning.

I really feel like plummer is good enough and the team is good enough to go into the locker room, adjust, and whether it’s the coaches calls or plummer throwing behind the line” say “it’s time to stand in there and see if we can win this thing.”

im proud of this team and everyone in that locker room is plenty good enough, but you’re gonna have to get hit in the face to beat these guys. Repetitive 11 handoffs and throws behind the line isn’t gonna beat ND. I wish it would but it’s not..

I’m not mad about the first half but they could be winning and they can win this game. Notre dame is not impressive .. they’re good, but we could easily be up 13-3/7
The OL is NOT good.

It was winnable. No Trice, got beat on 2 long pass plays, no Horvath, so short yardage issues and one less relief valve, away game and away refs. As an aside, we can be a good team with a good QB, but to challenge, we are always going to need a "next level" QB...not just a good arm and football smarts, but that huge drive to win. I don't know if I see that in the lineup right now. Thought AOC was closer to it, but admit you gotta have Jacks scrambling ability against the good defenses.

It was winnable. No Trice, got beat on 2 long pass plays, no Horvath, so short yardage issues and one less relief valve, away game and away refs. As an aside, we can be a good team with a good QB, but to challenge, we are always going to need a "next level" QB...not just a good arm and football smarts, but that huge drive to win. I don't know if I see that in the lineup right now. Thought AOC was closer to it, but admit you gotta have Jacks scrambling ability against the good defenses.
Horvath wouldn't have made a difference. This game was lost by tentative play calling and a bad OL.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
But...but....but....Year 5!!!
I’m actually not unhappy with today. Like is this even as bad as what I would have said if you asked me a month ago? No. Physically we held up and honestly I think it was just some mental mistakes by a few guys and brohm and plummer wanting to play it safe.

play well against Illinois and get the win and today doesn’t matter

Reactions: Fido641 and BBG
I’m actually not unhappy with today. Like is this even as bad as what I would have said if you asked me a month ago? No. Physically we held up and honestly I think it was just some mental mistakes by a few guys and brohm and plummer wanting to play it safe.

I still see us as getting 6 wins. Illinois and Minny are certainly beatable at home and while we have tough teams after that, there are enough games that we can win to get us to the 6 game mark. That would be a massive improvement if we can do that.

Reactions: Tommaker

I'm not disappointed either. Was at game live so I will have to re-watch on tv to either confirm or refute what I thought during the game.

I'm extremely happy with the D. Couldn't ask for a better turnaround. But extremely disappointed with the offense. It was more than some mental mistakes. There are fundamental issues with the OL that shouldn't be this bad even with the players we have. Being able to run block enough to get 100 total yards in the run game shouldn't be difficult. We had 57 rushing yards today. And there were only 10 negative yards from sacks and TFL. That's just sad against a team that averaged about a 100 yards a game to Toledo and Fl St.

As usual I'm seeing it the way you do. Missing Horvath and Trice made a huge difference today so a couple more years and we might have the depth to mitigate those losses in the two deeps. Like everybody else has said, we need to keep developing talent on the OL. #25 in blue today was something we don't have, would love to have an answer there in the near future. Would also like a book end opposite George. I'm rewatching the game and I don't see a huge talent gap.

Reactions: BBG
In general I felt the defense looked competitive but they have to make plays when they are in position. Again I was at the game so I'll need to re-watch to make sure I saw what I thought I saw but the first ND touchdown and the 51-yard touchdown run both looked like we were in position to make a tackle for a short gain and instead gave up the long touchdown. Those can't happen. I don't mind if we give up a long touchdown pass because a player makes a catch against us in one-on-one coverage because we are playing aggressive but those plays where we give up 30+ yards after contact can't happen very often.

I still see us as getting 6 wins. Illinois and Minny are certainly beatable at home and while we have tough teams after that, there are enough games that we can win to get us to the 6 game mark. That would be a massive improvement if we can do that.
Right now EVERYbody looks beatable if we play mistake free. What's going on with Northwestern? This looks like more than just a "slow start". MSU, Iowa, OSU and wisky are the biggest road bumps, and they all have issues.

In general I felt the defense looked competitive but they have to make plays when they are in position. Again I was at the game so I'll need to re-watch to make sure I saw what I thought I saw but the first ND touchdown and the 51-yard touchdown run both looked like we were in position to make a tackle for a short gain and instead gave up the long touchdown. Those can't happen. I don't mind if we give up a long touchdown pass because a player makes a catch against us in one-on-one coverage because we are playing aggressive but those plays where we give up 30+ yards after contact can't happen very often.
Agree on all points, but I felt like we missed too many plays on offense. The ball that went through (I think) Wright's hands on 3rd has to be caught. In order to win we have to convert that play for a first and go for a TD instead of the FG. The talent on D is almost there maybe one or two more key players, there were lots of good plays made. Offense on the other hand, needs some work. ND has some good talent which the O matched up fairly well with, I think they will continue to get better and should play solid the remainder of the season. Feels like 6-7 wins to me.

Right now EVERYbody looks beatable if we play mistake free. What's going on with Northwestern? This looks like more than just a "slow start". MSU, Iowa, OSU and wisky are the biggest road bumps, and they all have issues.
I agree on Iowa, Northwestern, and OSU, but I think MSU had looked very solid so far. I was surprised by how much they controlled that game at Miami.

And I didn't see the game, but Minnesota went to Colorado and won by 30.

Don’t you remember all those Purdue football teams that would just line up and run it down Notre Dame’s throat?
I'm not sure having a serviceable run game would be considered "ramming it down Notre Dame's throat". But whatever makes you happy...

ADVERTISEMENT