ADVERTISEMENT

Notes on Katie Gearlds Show for Tuesday Jan 4, 2022

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Katie Gearlds Show for Tuesday 1/4/2022

Since WBB gets so little coverage, I am giving a summary of Coach Gearlds’ Monday Show. This will just be a highlight of some of her more interesting comments for those that don't want to sit thru the show.

This is really late because I didn't even realize there was a show this week until yesterday.

Katie Gearlds Show
Jan. 4, 2022
Tim Newton (TN) and Katie Gearlds (KG) with guest Abbey Ellis (AE)

Rutgers Game:

TN:

• You built a 20 pt lead but had to win with a Terry buzzer-beater
KG:
  • When we built the lead “we were locked in discipline to what we were trying to do”
  • Then we got in foul trouble and sent them to the free throw line. When we can’t get out in transition we struggle in the half-court.
  • Getting in foul trouble… “I honestly don’t think I did a good job with that second group in keeping everything under control.” Terry bailed me out there.
  • They put us in a high ball screen and we didn’t do a good job of adjusting.
  • They knocked down their FT and they had two “and-ones” in that stretch.
  • Cass missed two wide open 3PT shots as the beginning of the 4thQ which she would normally make.
  • We made some poor decisions but luckily for us we got a defensive stop at the end of the game and Jeanae found a way to score.
TN:
  • We tied up the ball late and thankfully we had the possession arrow. That arrow is so important late in the game.
  • So 3.1 secs left you inbounded the ball and Jeanae goes left to right (opposite of what she did in then Georgia Tech win). I was surprised with the way Rutgers defended it.
KG
  • We flooded Abbey and Cass to the ball side. Madison’s look was to go to Rickie is they did switch it but they didn’t. That left JT 1 on 1. The way Abbey, Madison and Cass shoot the ball they had to stay home. We felt if we could get the ball to Jeanae and her right hand she could make the shot.
TN:
  • JT is really good at shooting the ball through contact. And she is really able to hang in the air.

KG:
  • And she will always reminds you how small the defenders are. (Both TN & KG laugh)
TN:
  • Had to be a happy locker room because is you lose a game like that it can be hard to get over it.
KG:
  • Yeah but we were also frustrated at losing such a big lead like that and that we almost let it slip away.
  • We took Monday off and have had really good practices the last two days.
  • I listen to Coach Painter and hear him say how you can really learn a lot from tough losses.
TN:
  • Question from viewer - any significance re the lime green tops the coaches wore or just a fashion statement?
KG:
  • Just a fashion statement. (Laughs)

Miami Game:
TN:

• You played three games before the Rutgers game to finish your non-conference schedule.
  • You beat Miami 82-76 and that will be remembered for what Terry did getting a triple double, only the 3rd one in program history. She has turned out to be a jack-of-all-trades for this BB team.
KG:
  • Yeah, she fills up our stat sheet every game. She did that at Illinois and she is doing exactly that for us.
  • It took us awhile to figure out where she would fit in but since we moved her to the point she has really taken off and allowed Abbey to be a little bit more of a scorer which is something she excels in.
North Alabama Game:
TN:

• Then you came back and beat North Alabama 86-53 before Christmas break. You had 5400 with a lot of kids in Mackey. There was a lot of excitement.
KG:
  • Yeah, it was a fun day. It was fun to see that many in the stands. When I was here you would see 8000 or 9000 in the stands almost every game and we have to work to get back there. I think every game we have a little bit more.
TN:
  • You were not pleased with how your team played in that game in the first half. A lot of times that game is a tough one because the bags are packed to go home for Christmas and their attention may not be undivided.
KG:
  • Oh yeah. That is human nature. But in the 2nd half we came out and played a lot better.
  • This is a moment you show your growth and maturity as BB team.
TN:
  • Rickie Woltman had her first double double in that game. She is a player who has really come into her own this season.
KG:
  • It’s a good thing for us with Shaya being out. Watching from afar you knew that she had it in her. She just needed the opportunity and someone to believe in her.
  • I feel our staff does a really good job of putting Rickie in spots where she can be successful,
  • The best thing is that Rickie wants the ball now and in the last two years she shied away from it. She’ll post hard and then kick it out and repost and really want it.
  • Her offensive production is great but it’s her defensive rebounding has always been there and now we are getting points from that.

Wisconsin Game Postponed:
TN:

• You thought you were going to play Wisconsin on Dec 30 but they had COVID issues and it was postponed. Out of the 14 B1G programs, 5 have already had to pause their seasons due to COVID.
KG:
  • Yeah, it’s hard to believe that it is still with us after all this time. We talked to our team today that with the regular students coming back next week we need to be a little more diligent. Wash your hands, use a face mask etc.
  • If anyone out there sees one of our kids in the grocery store without a mask go take them one. (Laughs)
TN:
  • It must be difficult to get the kids back from break and then a game gets canceled and you don’t have a game all the next week until the weekend. How do you fill that time?
KG:
  • Oh we have a lot of things to work on. We have several days we go twice a day. Practice is fun. You can ask Abbey. (Smiles)
  • They enjoy being around each other. We don’t have to do any of that “mandatory fun stuff” because they enjoy each other.
Honesty as a Coach/Managing Players:
TN:

• You appreciated coaching honesty as a player. How did that mold you?
KG:
  • If I am not being straightforward and honest, then we have a problem. Don’t sugar coat it. Just be honest with them.
  • We live in a world where being honest with someone is the greatest form of how much you respect them.
  • If you have a group that respects you as a HC then they will probably run through a brick wall for you.
TN:
  • You have a lot of tough conversations through the year. When you have a player who is struggling, how do you do that?
KG:
  • Well, you just related to them. I was in that situation not too long ago. There are always tough moments.
  • When I was here, I didn’t tell a lot of people but I worked with Chris Carr (?) and sports psych. I was a perfectionist and wanted to make every shot. I had to have someone help me though those moments. And I tell them that.
TN:
  • You look at great 3PT shooters and they may make 45% of their shots but that means they still miss over half their shots. How do they handle that?
KG:
  • Well you look at Madison - she is a perfectionist. She has not been shooting as well lately. She’s been hard on herself right now. She had 11 pts in the first Q of the last game and I told her at practice that she is the difference that we won the game. She steals the ball, she never misses a box-out, she’s doing all the right things even if she is not shooting as well as she would like.
  • That is my job to remind her of that because sometimes they just dwell on shooting and points.
  • I tell them “I’m never gonna take you out because you missed one shot or because you turned the ball over. We are going to make mistakes… let’s find a way to fix it.
Status of Ra Shaya Kyle:
TN:

• What is the status for Ra Shaya Kyle?
KG:
  • She is now off the little cart thing. She is now on crutches. She is doing cardio and on the Peleton.
  • She has done a good job of taking care of her body and hasn’t put on weight.
  • Does a lot of boxing in practice hitting Jason with gloves trying to keep her heart rate up.
  • Everyone in practice is doing a good job of pushing Rickie and making her better because we don’t have our practice guys right now.

Pro Boilers Segment:
TN:

• TIme for the Pro Boilers segment. Because of the holidays our Pro Boilers didn’t have a lot of games. The only one was KK Houser who had 4 pts and 3 assists in 27 mins but her team lost. We should have more to talk about in the next show.

Guest Abbey Ellis - this season’s stats: 10.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.3 steals pg, She started 52 of 53 games in her career at Cal Poly

TN:

• We are joined by Abbey Ellis who comes to us first of all by way of Melbourne, Australia and then Cal Polly and now here in W. Lafayette.
  • How many times have you been able to get home to your family since you came here?
AE:
  • Because of COVID only once at the end of each year of classes so twice.
TN:
  • When did you decide you wanted to play BB in the USA?
AE:
  • It was always a dream since I was 16yo. My family & I watched ESPN and March Madness and I pretty much always wanted to do that.
  • It was becoming more common for girls to go over there.
TN:
  • Talk about your time at Cal Poly. You were a 1st team All Big West selection and were very successful.
AE:
  • I loved it. It was a great program and had great coaches. The Big West Conference is fun to play ind is very fast. I just felt I needed to change and go to a higher conference level. But I wouldn’t be the player I am today without my experience at Cal Poly.
TN:
  • What was the translation like from Australia to Cal Poly and then from California to Indiana?
AE:
  • That was a change to California but I still had beaches. But Indiana was cornfields but that was okay. But I am still adjusting to the cold weather and this is the coldest I have ever been in my life.
  • I have been in the gym constantly and the campus is beautiful but with COVID I haven’t really explored Indiana. It’s definitely different.
  • The first snow I saw was at our Findlay game and I was so excited I went out at 8AM. But then the cold came and the excitement didn’t last very long.
TN:
  • Your mom sent you a box of ribbons and you pick out a ribbon to wear each game. How do you make that pick and how many do you have to choose from?
AE:
  • There are many and I try to color coordinate with the uniforms etc.
TN:
  • You have an outstanding FT shooting ability. You were at 93% and last year were in the top ten nationwide. Did that come naturally and did you feel pressure when you are at the line?
  • My last coach made us run every time we missed a FT. We had to put up 100 FTs every week so I think that helped a lot.
TN:
  • You had an unexpected caching change when you came her have Coach Gearlds just a few weeks before the season started. How would you describe her to your family? (Understand she is watching off-stage.)
AE:
  • I think her knowledge of BB is unparalleled. And the way she is able to relate to us because she was a player.
  • She sees how we would see the game. She accommodates to every individual player.
  • She shows that she cares about you. She is such a cool person. She is young and always happy and smiling. That is why we really like her.
  • I am blessed to have her as a coach and so thankful she is able y to lead this team.
TN:
  • You are able to use your size. You are only 5’6” but you are able to shift and get some points in the paint.
AE:
  • I’ve always been small (compared to those I was playing against). Using your footwork is the key. It is important to know where the defenders are in front and behind.
  • Coming into the B1G these girls are way bigger. Saint took me awhile to accommodate and during the summer Rickie and Shaya blocked me many times in practice. The coaches have really helped me to avoid that.
TN:
  • But you are fearless on the court and not bothered by the fact that you are in most cases going to be one of the smallest players out there.
AE:
  • Right. I always look at the other side and see that one 5’6” girls that every team has. (They laugh)
  • I think size is just a number. If you have a big heart and go hard every possession it really doesn’t matter.
TN:
  • What was the biggest misperception that you were asked about Australia when you came here?
AE:
  • It was definitely about the spiders and the snakes which I totally disagreed with them on. All you need to do is get some spider spray and they will not harm you.
  • And of course they mocked my accent which is fun

Team Attitude:
TN:

• Abbey Ellis is fun to be around, isn’t she?
KG:
  • Honestly she is just like that every single day in practice. She is so much fun.
TN:
  • This team is a fun group to be around and that has to make your job easier.
KG:
  • At the pregame meal before our first game we came into the room and they had pushed all the chairs together and we all earthing together. Beth (Couture - Associate HC) looked around and said she almost was brought to tears. Katie asked why, isn’t this normal and Beth said no, usually they are in 4 or 5 different groups.
  • The staff loves being around them. They don’t always do everything right but it doesn’t matter because they are working so hard.
  • I tell them all the time “It’s not your first mistake or your second mistake but how you react to it. What is your body language saying?”
  • They know we can only put 5 people on the court at one time but the rest of the team is supportive and locked in.
  • Ava (Learn) is over there (Indicates off-stage) and she is locked in and engaged every play. She is learning and her time is going to come. And that is how they all are.
TN:
  • What do you like most about your team?
KG:
  • Just how hard they work and how much they trust us. We are asking them to do things they haven’t done before or different than the did before. Their are no questions. They say “Okay, coach.”
  • Look at Brooke and how she accepted her role coming off the bench with no questions.
  • They have the mentality that they will do whatever it takes for the team to win. That is why we have won 10 games already this year.
Coaches’ Demeanor:
TN:

• A coaches’ demeanor so affect their players. I watched you in those last 3 secs of the last game and you stood in one place with your arms crossed and never flinched a muscle. People were jumping and screaming and you just stood there.
KG:
  • Yeah, well I thought Beth was going to go to HR after how hard I pushed her when we won against Georgia Tech so I figured I better be calm and relaxed.
  • I felt confident in the play and honestly if she missed it then I was thinking what we were going to do in OT.
  • But really I was not happy with the way the game had gone so maybe that is why we didn’t celebrate as much.

Michigan State Game:
TN:

• Your next game is at Michigan State on Sunday. Nia Clouden is their outstanding guard, one of the best players in the B1G. We have seen her before and she is a player who can take over a basketball game.
KG:
  • She can go. She put up 50 pts in a game earlier this year. You are not going to stop her but you want to contain her.
  • She will get her points. You need to make sure she is taking a lot of shots to get her points and not let anyone around her beat you.
  • We have a lot of time to put together a game plan.
  • Maybe there will be some surprises. (Smiles)

Make-Up Games:
TN:

• You now have a game you have to make up against Wisconsin. How is that going to work in the B1G?
KG:
  • I honestly think that it’s up to the B1G as to how that works. I wanted to play Wisconsin on this Friday and then MSU Sunday but we were told we could not.
  • I just worry we will get in this position where we are trying to make up all these games at the end of the season and how will that work?
  • Obviously you want everyone to stay safe and be healthy but at the same time you wonder how it will go.
  • Our kids are doing whatever they can and whenever we have to play we will be ready.

Upcoming Schedule:
TN:

• You have no control over the schedule but it would have been great to have a mid-week game this week since the players are not in school.
  • You have a couple of tough games when you come back against 22nd ranked Iowa and then against #6 ranked Indiana but first things first. Good luck.

Last edited:

Since WBB gets so little coverage, I am giving a summary of Coach Gearlds’ Monday Show. This will just be a highlight of some of her more interesting comments for those that don't want to sit thru the show.

This is really late because I didn't even realize there was a show this week until yesterday.

Katie Gearlds Show
Jan. 4, 2022

Rutgers Game:

TN:

KG:
  • When we built the lead “we were locked in discipline to what we were trying to do”
  • Then we got in foul trouble and sent them to the free throw line. When we can’t get out in transition we struggle in the half-court.
  • Getting in foul trouble… “I honestly don’t think I did a good job with that second group in keeping everything under control.” Terry bailed me out there.
  • Cass missed two wide open 3PT shots as the beginning of the 4thQ which she would normally make.
  • We made some poor decisions but luckily for us we got a defensive stop at the end of the game and Jeanae found a way to score.
TN:
  • We tied up the ball late and thankfully we had the possession arrow. That arrow is so important late in the game.
  • So 3.1 secs left you inbounded the ball and Jeanae goes left to right (opposite of what she did in then Georgia Tech win). I was surprised with the way Rutgers defended it.
KG
  • We flooded Abbey and Cass to the ball side. Madison’s look was to go to Rickie is they did switch it but they didn’t. That left JT 1 on 1. The way Abbey, Madison and Cass shoot the ball they had to stay home. We felt if we could get the ball to Jeanae and her right hand she could make the shot.
TN:
  • JT is really good at shooting the ball through contact. And she is really able to hang in the air.

KG:
  • And she will always reminds you how small the defenders are. (Both TN & KG laugh)
TN:
  • Had to be a happy locker room because is you lose a game like that it can be hard to get over it.
KG:
  • Yeah but we were also frustrated at losing such a big lead like that and that we almost let it slip away.
  • I listen to Coach Painter and hear him say how you can really learn a lot from tough losses.
TN:
  • Question from viewer - any significance re the lime green tops the coaches wore or just a fashion statement?
KG:

Miami Game:
TN:

• You played three games before the Rutgers game to finish your non-conference schedule.
  • You beat Miami 82-76 and that will be remembered for what Terry did getting a triple double, only the 3rd one in program history. She has turned out to be a jack-of-all-trades for this BB team.
KG:
  • Yeah, she fills up our stat sheet every game. She did that at Illinois and she is doing exactly that for us.
  • It took us awhile to figure out where she would fit in but since we moved her to the point she has really taken off and allowed Abbey to be a little bit more of a scorer which is something she excels in.
North Alabama Game:
TN:

• Then you came back and beat North Alabama 86-53 before Christmas break. You had 5400 with a lot of kids in Mackey. There was a lot of excitement.
KG:
  • Yeah, it was a fun day. It was fun to see that many in the stands. When I was here you would see 8000 or 9000 in the stands almost every game and we have to work to get back there. I think every game we have a little bit more.
TN:
  • You were not pleased with how your team played in that game in the first half. A lot of times that game is a tough one because the bags are packed to go home for Christmas and their attention may not be undivided.
KG:
  • Oh yeah. That is human nature. But in the 2nd half we came out and played a lot better.
TN:
  • Rickie Woltman had her first double double in that game. She is a player who has really come into her own this season.
KG:
  • It’s a good thing for us with Shaya being out. Watching from afar you knew that she had it in her. She just needed the opportunity and someone to believe in her.
  • I feel our staff does a really good job of putting Rickie in spots where she can be successful,
  • The best thing is that Rickie wants the ball now and in the last two years she shied away from it. She’ll post hard and then kick it out and repost and really want it.
  • Her offensive production is great but it’s her defensive rebounding has always been there and now we are getting points from that.

TN:

• You thought you were going to play Wisconsin on Dec 30 but they had COVID issues and it was postponed. Out of the 14 B1G programs, 5 have already had to pause their seasons due to COVID.
KG:
  • Yeah, it’s hard to believe that it is still with us after all this time. We talked to our team today that with the regular students coming back next week we need to be a little more diligent. Wash your hands, use a face mask etc.
  • If anyone out there sees one of our kids in the grocery store without a mask go take them one. (Laughs)
TN:
  • It must be difficult to get the kids back from break and then a game gets canceled and you don’t have a game all the next week until the weekend. How do you fill that time?
KG:
  • Oh we have a lot of things to work on. We have several days we go twice a day. Practice is fun. You can ask Abbey. (Smiles)
  • They enjoy being around each other. We don’t have to do any of that “mandatory fun stuff” because they enjoy each other.
TN:

KG:
  • If I am not being straightforward and honest, then we have a problem. Don’t sugar coat it. Just be honest with them.
  • We live in a world where being honest with someone is the greatest form of how much you respect them.
  • If you have a group that respects you as a HC then they will probably run through a brick wall for you.
TN:
  • You have a lot of tough conversations through the year. When you have a player who is struggling, how do you do that?
KG:
  • Well, you just related to them. I was in that situation not too long ago. There are always tough moments.
  • When I was here, I didn’t tell a lot of people but I worked with Chris Carr (?) and sports psych. I was a perfectionist and wanted to make every shot. I had to have someone help me though those moments. And I tell them that.
TN:
  • You look at great 3PT shooters and they may make 45% of their shots but that means they still miss over half their shots. How do they handle that?
KG:
  • Well you look at Madison - she is a perfectionist. She has not been shooting as well lately. She’s been hard on herself right now. She had 11 pts in the first Q of the last game and I told her at practice that she is the difference that we won the game. She steals the ball, she never misses a box-out, she’s doing all the right things even if she is not shooting as well as she would like.
  • That is my job to remind her of that because sometimes they just dwell on shooting and points.
  • I tell them “I’m never gonna take you out because you missed one shot or because you turned the ball over. We are going to make mistakes… let’s find a way to fix it.
Status of Ra Shaya Kyle:
TN:

KG:
  • She is now off the little cart thing. She is now on crutches. She is doing cardio and on the Peleton.
  • Does a lot of boxing in practice hitting Jason with gloves trying to keep her heart rate up.
  • Everyone in practice is doing a good job of pushing Rickie and making her better because we don’t have our practice guys right now.

Pro Boilers Segment:
TN:

• TIme for the Pro Boilers segment. Because of the holidays our Pro Boilers didn’t have a lot of games. The only one was KK Houser who had 4 pts and 3 assists in 27 mins but her team lost. We should have more to talk about in the next show.

Guest Abbey Ellis - this season’s stats: 10.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.3 steals pg, She started 52 of 53 games in her career at Cal Poly

TN:

• We are joined by Abbey Ellis who comes to us first of all by way of Melbourne, Australia and then Cal Polly and now here in W. Lafayette.
  • How many times have you been able to get home to your family since you came here?
AE:
TN:
AE:
  • It was always a dream since I was 16yo. My family & I watched ESPN and March Madness and I pretty much always wanted to do that.
TN:
  • Talk about your time at Cal Poly. You were a 1st team All Big West selection and were very successful.
AE:
  • I loved it. It was a great program and had great coaches. The Big West Conference is fun to play ind is very fast. I just felt I needed to change and go to a higher conference level. But I wouldn’t be the player I am today without my experience at Cal Poly.
TN:
  • What was the translation like from Australia to Cal Poly and then from California to Indiana?
AE:
  • That was a change to California but I still had beaches. But Indiana was cornfields but that was okay. But I am still adjusting to the cold weather and this is the coldest I have ever been in my life.
  • I have been in the gym constantly and the campus is beautiful but with COVID I haven’t really explored Indiana. It’s definitely different.
  • The first snow I saw was at our Findlay game and I was so excited I went out at 8AM. But then the cold came and the excitement didn’t last very long.
TN:
  • Your mom sent you a box of ribbons and you pick out a ribbon to wear each game. How do you make that pick and how many do you have to choose from?
AE:
TN:
  • You have an outstanding FT shooting ability. You were at 93% and last year were in the top ten nationwide. Did that come naturally and did you feel pressure when you are at the line?
  • My last coach made us run every time we missed a FT. We had to put up 100 FTs every week so I think that helped a lot.
TN:
  • You had an unexpected caching change when you came her have Coach Gearlds just a few weeks before the season started. How would you describe her to your family? (Understand she is watching off-stage.)
AE:
  • I think her knowledge of BB is unparalleled. And the way she is able to relate to us because she was a player.
  • She sees how we would see the game. She accommodates to every individual player.
  • She shows that she cares about you. She is such a cool person. She is young and always happy and smiling. That is why we really like her.
  • I am blessed to have her as a coach and so thankful she is able y to lead this team.
TN:
  • You are able to use your size. You are only 5’6” but you are able to shift and get some points in the paint.
AE:
  • I’ve always been small (compared to those I was playing against). Using your footwork is the key. It is important to know where the defenders are in front and behind.
  • Coming into the B1G these girls are way bigger. Saint took me awhile to accommodate and during the summer Rickie and Shaya blocked me many times in practice. The coaches have really helped me to avoid that.
TN:
  • But you are fearless on the court and not bothered by the fact that you are in most cases going to be one of the smallest players out there.
AE:
  • Right. I always look at the other side and see that one 5’6” girls that every team has. (They laugh)
  • I think size is just a number. If you have a big heart and go hard every possession it really doesn’t matter.
TN:
  • What was the biggest misperception that you were asked about Australia when you came here?
AE:
  • It was definitely about the spiders and the snakes which I totally disagreed with them on. All you need to do is get some spider spray and they will not harm you.

Team Attitude:
TN:

KG:
  • Honestly she is just like that every single day in practice. She is so much fun.
TN:
KG:
  • At the pregame meal before our first game we came into the room and they had pushed all the chairs together and we all earthing together. Beth (Couture - Associate HC) looked around and said she almost was brought to tears. Katie asked why, isn’t this normal and Beth said no, usually they are in 4 or 5 different groups.
  • The staff loves being around them. They don’t always do everything right but it doesn’t matter because they are working so hard.
  • I tell them all the time “It’s not your first mistake or your second mistake but how you react to it. What is your body language saying?”
  • They know we can only put 5 people on the court at one time but the rest of the team is supportive and locked in.
  • Ava (Learn) is over there (Indicates off-stage) and she is locked in and engaged every play. She is learning and her time is going to come. And that is how they all are.
TN:
KG:
  • Just how hard they work and how much they trust us. We are asking them to do things they haven’t done before or different than the did before. Their are no questions. They say “Okay, coach.”
  • Look at Brooke and how she accepted her role coming off the bench with no questions.
  • They have the mentality that they will do whatever it takes for the team to win. That is why we have won 10 games already this year.
Coaches’ Demeanor:
TN:

• A coaches’ demeanor so affect their players. I watched you in those last 3 secs of the last game and you stood in one place with your arms crossed and never flinched a muscle. People were jumping and screaming and you just stood there.
KG:
  • Yeah, well I thought Beth was going to go to HR after how hard I pushed her when we won against Georgia Tech so I figured I better be calm and relaxed.
  • I felt confident in the play and honestly if she missed it then I was thinking what we were going to do in OT.
  • But really I was not happy with the way the game had gone so maybe that is why we didn’t celebrate as much.

Michigan State Game:
TN:

• Your next game is at Michigan State on Sunday. Nia Clouden is their outstanding guard, one of the best players in the B1G. We have seen her before and she is a player who can take over a basketball game.
KG:
  • She can go. She put up 50 pts in a game earlier this year. You are not going to stop her but you want to contain her.
  • She will get her points. You need to make sure she is taking a lot of shots to get her points and not let anyone around her beat you.

Make-Up Games:
TN:

• You now have a game you have to make up against Wisconsin. How is that going to work in the B1G?
KG:
  • I honestly think that it’s up to the B1G as to how that works. I wanted to play Wisconsin on this Friday and then MSU Sunday but we were told we could not.
  • I just worry we will get in this position where we are trying to make up all these games at the end of the season and how will that work?
  • Obviously you want everyone to stay safe and be healthy but at the same time you wonder how it will go.
  • Our kids are doing whatever they can and whenever we have to play we will be ready.

Upcoming Schedule:
TN:

• You have no control over the schedule but it would have been great to have a mid-week game this week since the players are not in school.
  • You have a couple of tough games when you come back against 22nd ranked Iowa and then against #6 ranked Indiana but first things first. Good luck.
Thank you very much for these write ups. :):):) Are you attending the radio shows at Wolfie's or are you doing this listening on the radio?

Reactions: jindy

Katie Gearlds Show
Jan. 4, 2022

Rutgers Game:

TN:

KG:
TN:
KG
TN:

KG:
TN:
KG:
TN:
KG:

Miami Game:
TN:

KG:
North Alabama Game:
TN:

KG:
TN:
KG:
TN:
KG:

TN:

KG:
TN:
KG:
TN:

KG:
TN:
KG:
TN:
KG:
Status of Ra Shaya Kyle:
TN:

KG:

Pro Boilers Segment:
TN:

TN:

AE:
TN:
AE:
TN:
AE:
TN:
AE:
TN:
AE:
TN:
TN:
AE:
TN:
AE:
TN:
AE:
TN:
AE:

Team Attitude:
TN:

KG:
TN:
KG:
TN:
KG:
Coaches’ Demeanor:
TN:

KG:

Michigan State Game:
TN:

KG:

Make-Up Games:
TN:

KG:

Upcoming Schedule:
TN:

As always thank you for your efforts. Would(will!) be good to win one or both of the next two but no matter what Katie seems to have had an immediate impact on this team and has the program moving in the right direction. Plus, it's great to see more basketball discussion on this board versus the inane bitching and back & forth of some recent seasons.

BEAT indinia!!

As always thank you for your efforts. Would(will!) be good to win one or both of the next two but no matter what Katie seems to have had an immediate impact on this team and has the program moving in the right direction. Plus, it's great to see more basketball discussion on this board versus the inane bitching and back & forth of some recent seasons.

BEAT indinia!!
Amen about the bitching and whining.

Reactions: Russ Ford
ADVERTISEMENT