ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern

I can't believe how bad NW is playing. I had hopes for them after last year. Something is going on there.

I am just not really sure how the whole team managed to get together and decide to regress.

They lost basically nothing off a team that made the tourney as an 8 seed and this year they are go to struggle to make the NIT

PJ > McIntosh. No player development it seems at NW. Benson has disappeared too.
Funny how people here were so upset BM didn't come here. Maybe he'd have fit into a role and thrived under Painter, but he is so ball dominant that is hard to imagine him complementing our offense and I'm not sold on his defense.

With that said the player development at NW is almost nonexistent. Not sure if that is a culture thing or what.

When did Benson ever appear? He's the same player he was last year, and that's not a very good player.
I wasn't on here back when Barrett picked Northwestern but can only assume the hysteria was epic. I'm sure the Fire Painter brigade was lining the gates with pitchforks and torches.

Hindsight being 20/20, obviously Painter didn't lose sleep over him picking Northwestern. One thing I know is Painter has a pretty good eye for talent and does an amazing job of developing players.

I wasn't on here back when Barrett picked Northwestern but can only assume the hysteria was epic. I'm sure the Fire Painter brigade was lining the gates with pitchforks and torches.

Hindsight being 20/20, obviously Painter didn't lose sleep over him picking Northwestern. One thing I know is Painter has a pretty good eye for talent and does an amazing job of developing players.

There wasn’t even a word mentioned about that kids picking Northwestern

The consensus here was we needed James Banks, Joey Brunk, or Barrett Benson in the 2016 class. When all three signed elsewhere and we passed on a big in that class, people were definitely "losing sleep". Then Painter signs Haarms and effectively turns him into a redshirt 2016 freshman. Just goes to show how silly some of the recruiting chatter can be.

Haarms: 18.6 mpg, 5.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.9 bpg
Banks: 9.3 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 bpg
Brunk: 6.2 mpg, 1.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.1 bpg
Benson: 9.3 mpg, 1.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 bpg

Last edited:
The consensus here was we needed James Banks, Joey Brunk, or Barrett Benson in the 2016 class. When all three signed elsewhere and we passed on a big in the 2016, people were definitely "losing sleep". Then Painter signs Haarms and effectively turns him into a redshirt 2016 freshman. Just goes to show how silly some of the recruiting chatter can be.

Haarms: 18.6 mpg, 5.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.9 bpg
Banks: 9.3 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 bpg
Brunk: 6.2 mpg, 1.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.1 bpg
Benson: 9.3 mpg, 1.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 bpg
Great stats and your post is exactly right. There is a reason CMP is coaching at a big time school and the rest of us are just posting about it on a forum. I have no doubt he has forgotten more about coaching than anyone on here will ever know. And I am happy about that.

There is no doubt we have a handful of 'experts' on here that are more worried about how they appear on a forum than anything else and have perfect hindsight but the fact remains that not one of them has any idea what it takes to be as successful as CMP is.

He knows what he needs to do to win, recruits what he needs and consistently has us as a top basketball program in the conference and the country. And does it the right way.

Sorry I am ranting, these stats just further prove that CMP knows what he is doing.

I can't believe how bad NW is playing. I had hopes for them after last year. Something is going on there.

Many on this forum thought Northwestern's lofty pre-season ranking was a product of sentimentality. Still, with Scottie Lindsey, Bryant McIntosh, and Vic Law all returning, there was every reason to expect Northwestern to compete for a spot in the NCAA Tournament this year. That team has been a disappointment.

Reactions: ejs1111
Funny how people here were so upset BM didn't come here. Maybe he'd have fit into a role and thrived under Painter, but he is so ball dominant that is hard to imagine him complementing our offense and I'm not sold on his defense.

With that said the player development at NW is almost nonexistent. Not sure if that is a culture thing or what.
I think that BM would be doing MUCH better with Painter’s coaching. He would be playing within the offense rather than trying to be the offense.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
There wasn’t even a word mentioned about that kids picking Northwestern

I'm not sure if this was meant to be sarcasm, but there was definitely a lot of butt hurt on this board about Benson picking Northwestern. Mostly because he is a legacy.

McIntosh was touted by some as a must get as well. Sure the class would've been better with him, but he wanted to be "the man" and not just a piece. See how well that has worked/is working out for him.

Reactions: FirstDownB
I think that BM would be doing MUCH better with Painter’s coaching. He would be playing within the offense rather than trying to be the offense.
Maybe, maybe not. He chose NW because he wanted to be a ball dominant PG. Sometimes, as we've seen, those types decide to transfer rather than adapt.

Reactions: rgarlitz

There's a lot of NW hate on here. Am I the only one that remembers they gave us a really good game in Mackey?

I don't think NW is good. But it's not like they got blown out by a nobody - they lost to the team tied for first place in the league.

There's a lot of NW hate on here. Am I the only one that remembers they gave us a really good game in Mackey?

I don't think NW is good. But it's not like they got blown out by a nobody - they lost to the team tied for first place in the league.
I believe there is a lot of Chrissy Collins hate on here after his whiny ass act earlier this year. Most of us respect NW as an institute and for what they've accomplished in FB.

First if all, I have great respect for NW as an institution and I want their teams to do well, except when they play Purdue.

A few days ago, NW lost by 20 to IU (who is not a very good team) and they looked awful. Even the announcers commented on the poor play by both teams. The loss was not due to great IU defense either. NW made many unforced turnovers and missed a ton of open and makeable shots. The decision-making was often terrible.

I do not know why this is the case. NW has always claimed that they cannot recruit most athletes because of academics. So presumably the ones they have a smart. But they are not playing like it.

Like I said earlier, something is going on there.

Maybe, maybe not. He chose NW because he wanted to be a ball dominant PG. Sometimes, as we've seen, those types decide to transfer rather than adapt.
It’s possible, but I also think his skills would have fit Painter’s system perfectly had he been willing to buy in. He’s the type of player who I think needs to be able to move without the ball, come off screens, and catch the ball with an advantage.

Reactions: Inspector100
Even after they allowed their accreditation for their journalism school to lapse?

Northwestern evidently decided that the accreditation was not worth that much to them. The decision was based upon hours invested in maintaining the record keeping etc vs the worth of it to their reputation. I have no idea if that is correct, however, they know more about it than I do so in the absence of info to the contrary I do not challenge that judgment.

By the way,Cal-Berkeley made the same decision so it must not be all that crazy. There must be some logic to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT