ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Away Game Threads (Selected Excerpts)

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
The good thing about this game was I don't think the outcome was ever in doubt. We kind of put it on cruise control toward the end and let them catch up but that has been Northwestern's mode of operation all year. The Boilers took care of business which is all we could want at this juncture. Now, let's get a rest and prepare for a surging Rutgers team. I think we'll be ready.

(By the way, did you see the expression on Hunter's face when Trevion brought the hammer down on that rebound/dunk??? Priceless!!!!!)

Could someone please explain to me what’s gotten into Rutgers?

Lots of Jersey Mike's subs?

It’s unsurprising, but still frustrating that Beran won’t even consider putting the ball on the floor when being guarded in the corner by Edey.

Can Beran rally not take Edey off the dribble? Like he has to be able to exploit that but seemingly can’t and just forces an incredibly dumb pass.

Get Audige out of the damn game!

Purdue couldn't be shooting worse, but neither could we.

Alright, so whatever this offense is, it’s already time to change it, gang. It ain’t working.

Speakers are out for the second time in 4 games in the upper deck. Nothing like building a $100M stadium and having stuff that consistently doesn’t work. Can’t hear the announcers at all from up here.

Scoreboard not showing individual stats of points and fouls.

No idea why they can’t have rebound stats. I thought NU had an electrical engineering major. Where is the lite brute scoreboard when we need it.

23 days in a row without a day off! Hello, NCAA, I believe we have infractions on Purdue. I think this means Northwestern wins 100-0.

We’re doing a’right on defense. But offense is reminiscent of the IL game. We feel pressure and we start rushing everything and getting into crazy offensive sequences. We end up settling down a bit, but after so much sloppiness

God, I love the human cold bucket of water that is Ryan Young in the post. It’s ugly, it shouldn’t belong, you don’t enjoy it, and later on it’ll bite us in the ass, but in the meantime it works. God bless him.

If he could add anything to his offense away from the rim he could be a real threat.

I don’t get why we haven’t tried starting him. Is it stamina? I know Robbie Beran has value defensively but he can be so out of it on offense that I’m not sure how we haven’t considered shaking things up. I’m not even the biggest Ryan Young guy but I would understand playing him and Nance more together.

Especially against a Purdue. Forcing Edey to commit to Young might give Nance a shorter match up? Granted Purdue always has trees, but I can think of worse things.

Creating better matchups for our best player? Now that’s an interesting concept! Anybody responsible for doing those sorts of things? I don’t think it’s the coach because I’m told they just recruit and motivate. That’s it.

Yeah, that's gotta happen in some way because we’re already down 5-1 in the fouls and there are 8 minutes left in the half. We are so so so bad at forcing teams into foul trouble, and that’s a REQUISITE against a team like Purdue.

I mean, you know Edey and Williams will get theirs, and I don’t think we see enough rebounding help from the li’l guys when it comes down to it. I think there could be, perhaps, more judicious doubling against the bigs — maybe when they’re square to the baseline, rather than a spot higher than the block.

Painter seems to be sticking in Edey whenever Nance is in for the Cats. I wouldn’t mind Nicholson in there against Edey.

Dear God, Edey brought rain with that free throw!

HEY LOOK GOOD BALL MOVEMENT ends in a Beran three! Greer at the point! Who is to say why these things happen!

First half stats incredibly even. Both teams have 11 field goals, Purdue 2-9 from deep and NU 4-12. Both teams with four offensive boards, 8 TOs for Purdue and 7 for NU. Difference is at the foul line — 8-8 for Purdue, 2-2 for NU. (6 fouls for NU, 5 for Purdue.)

Only down by 4 at the half so we are still in touch. Have to settle down on offense. Buie and Audige have not scored a point yet. Lets see if we can get a marquee win tonight.

We can win this, but realistically it's going to take someone getting hot from 3. Wish we could unleash those three-straight 3s that Boo made in West Lafayette when the game was out of reach.

What the f*ck, Boo?

Boo, you gotta stop!

Audige probably cost us the game right there. Unacceptable play.

Meanwhile Ju Roper is a damn good defender. Wow. Unfortunately we came away with exactly 0 points off those steals.

If we could just shoot! LOL

I love our bench, TBH. Play hard, show flashes and generally don’t do the same dumb sh*t we see from several of our starters on offense.

A guy just proposed on the video screen. She said yes!

Surprised Chase didn’t foul him before he got the question off.

Can she shoot the three?

How many times have we failed to defend a cut when Williams has the ball?

The shots are there for us. Just gotta hit them. Purdue is too good to miss for this long.

If sh*t isn’t gonna fall, what can you do?

A student just made a half court shot!

What’s his +/-?

Put him in the game!

It was Jack Olsen from the football team. Our future kicker. Good to know he can come through under high pressure situations.

This coaching staff is awful. Do they know how to teach what a good shot is? Refs also pretty bad tonight fwiw.

Watch the game slip away. Good effort tonight really. Great double team the possession before the 3. Came from behind and then just missed a wide open 3 in transition. One of those nights offensively.

Can’t shoot 35% and beat the No. 5 team. We are reasonably athletic but continue to shoot too poorly to win consistently.

Ry just overcooks the finish. Then Purdue has some random sh*theel hit a three. Because why f*cking wouldn’t they?

Another single digit loss. Add it the narrative.

I think we are trying to worsen our record in games decided by 5 or less.

This game is just like the weather outside blah. Horrible shooting and that is basically the game. Had good looks just did not knock them down. What can I say, just a bummer.

I love the fight in this team. But this isn’t Rocky and we don’t land enough punches.

I thought it was a pretty listless effort tonight. Not a lot of energy. Guys yelling at each other. Nicholson rotting on the bench while we get dominated in the paint again. Last in the conference in shooting percentage. Zero points for Audige. Same as Nicholson! No apparent game plan either. "Okay guys, we're gonna do the same crap that hasn't worked all year!" We need a new coach.

he fact that Nicholson didn’t touch the court when Edey was torching us just tells us all we need to know about Collins. He has no idea what to do with his roster and it’s killed us countless times this year.

BTN has learned to cut to Nicholson firing his fake six-shooters toward the sky every time NU makes a three, which is a nice consolation of all his time on the bench.

Winning teams know how to win. Losing teams find different ways to lose. We are unfortunately in the latter. Tonight we shot horribly which cost us any chance to win.

So, I can’t believe I’m saying this (because I firmly sat in the fire Collins camp two weeks ago) but I am coming around to the idea that next season is an NCAA or bust season (if Collins can keep most or all of our main guys). If we have a bunch of meaningful transfers out this spring, then it’s time to move on.

Collins really needs to coach these guys more effectively if we are going to break through. The issue with shot selection by our guards continues to plague us. And the way we attack opposing teams at times makes me scratch my head. We have OK talent, but until we get a transcendent player, our kids are going to have play really smart basketball if we are going to reach the upper tiers of the conference.

I don’t see Collins being let go after this season. He needs to limit transfers out and try and find 1-2 legit transfer additions in the front court. The biggest question for the staff is can they learn how to maximize what talent they have and get them to play smarter basketball.

Maybe a little overstated but who’s returning more? When I look at the rest of the conference, I don’t see a lot of teams bringing back their best players.

Iowa will finally say goodbye to the Skinny White Metronome of Open Shot Death, Jordan Bohannon, but they will return most of the players from a team that is starting to play some good basketball.

And keep in mind Collins can always figure out a way to minimize whatever talent he does have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.