ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Purdue post. Is anyone following what is happening at Maryland?

goboilers2

All-American
Sep 26, 2001
St Augustine
I read a few articles about it today, but it seems to be a little bit of over-reacting by politicians. Dont consider this as a comment discounting a death. Calling it a toxic environment is a far reaching. I hate the mix of politics and sports.
Does anyone have insight to this beyond CNN and Fox?

I read a few articles about it today, but it seems to be a little bit of over-reacting by politicians. Dont consider this as a comment discounting a death. Calling it a toxic environment is a far reaching. I hate the mix of politics and sports.
Sounds pretty bad to me. Surprised this is getting way less media coverage than Ohio St drama. I mean they basically killed one of their own players.

The strength coach was basically known to throw weights and other items at players along with subjecting them to blatant emotional and mental abuse. This is on par with what came out about Bob Knight eventually but probably worse since, as someone pointed out, they killed one of their players.

The strength coach was basically known to throw weights and other items at players along with subjecting them to blatant emotional and mental abuse. This is on par with what came out about Bob Knight eventually but probably worse since, as someone pointed out, they killed one of their players.
Wake Forrest has a dilemma w/ their ass't BB coach too

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Wake Forrest has a dilemma w/ their ass't BB coach too
I’m reserving judgment on the Wake coach because the things I have read sound like it could have been an issue of self-defense in that there was an argument that was taking place. I doubt a guy would get out of his car simply because another man mistook his car for an Uber ride. He’s been charged with what essentially amounts to a misdemeanor. Likely alcohol affecting the decisions of both.

If new facts come out, I’ll definitely change my opinion.

Definitely a tragedy. Would rather read an article that lays it all out that does not have the rant of a politician running for governor.

Every year we see deaths in conditioning from heat stroke, etc. One year we saw a non player die because of the decision of a coach at a major Catholic institution, only to have the university and bishop of the SB-FW Diocese sweep it under the rug.

I’m reserving judgment on the Wake coach because the things I have read sound like it could have been an issue of self-defense in that there was an argument that was taking place. I doubt a guy would get out of his car simply because another man mistook his car for an Uber ride. He’s been charged with what essentially amounts to a misdemeanor. Likely alcohol affecting the decisions of both.
I'm thinking the same. Two obnoxious players and one went down hard. Bad choices by both, but certainly no intent to kill.

However, it was poor behavior by someone representing a university at coaching level.

D.J. Durkin was apparently at workout in late May, where heatstroke occurred. This is a tragic story and the culture appears odd at best and ugly at worse.

The S&C director was an assistant AD, as well? WTH?

His bio was stripped from the team web site. He was hired away from Mississippi State and Coach Mullen, when Durkin took the Maryland job.

Both are likely not coming back to program.

I'm thinking the same. Two obnoxious players and one went down hard. Bad choices by both, but certainly no intent to kill.

However, it was poor behavior by someone representing a university at coaching level.
This wasn't two players. The Wake assistant coach was attending a wedding and punched a man who has mistaken his car for an Uber after an altercation. Again, intent was certainly not to kill which is why the charges aren't anything other than a misdemeanor.

Intent is not necessary for 2nd degree manslaughter. Facts will come out after it is investigated and the DA will charge him with the appropriate charge if it turns out he was not defending himself, which with what has been reported is fact, that he left his car to pursue the the man.

D.J. Durkin was apparently at workout in late May, where heatstroke occurred. This is a tragic story and the culture appears odd at best and ugly at worse.

The S&C director was an assistant AD, as well? WTH?

His bio was stripped from the team web site. He was hired away from Mississippi State and Coach Mullen, when Durkin took the Maryland job.

Both are likely not coming back to program.

Also read that the S+C coach was also part of Urban Meyer's staff at one point.

Looks like Durkin continues to survive on administrative leave for now, but the strength and conditioning coach has been dismissed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT