ADVERTISEMENT

Non playoff bowl game death spiral?

Apr 10, 2020
Case in point, will the Purdue faithful be buying tickets to the citrus bowl not knowing who the coach is? And with 1000 students headed to the portal or opting out of bowl games? Even though the citrus is in sunny Florida I'm not in.

Case in point, will the Purdue faithful be buying tickets to the citrus bowl not knowing who the coach is? And with 1000 students headed to the portal or opting out of bowl games? Even though the citrus is in sunny Florida I'm not in.
might be like when we played Okie St

we did ok last year playing without several of our "STAR" players. i suspect LSU will also be playing without several of their star players as well. I don't expect us to win. But it's nice to participate in a big name bowl game. and you never know what will happen. I didn't expect us to beat Tennessee last year either. if you're a purdue player with aspirations of being drafted, playing against LSU gives you as much exposure as playing in the Shrine or Senior Bowl.

Reactions: indyogb and dayhr11
we did ok last year playing without several of our "STAR" players. i suspect LSU will also be playing without several of their star players as well. I don't expect us to win. But it's nice to participate in a big name bowl game. and you never know what will happen. I didn't expect us to beat Tennessee last year either. if you're a purdue player with aspirations of being drafted, playing against LSU gives you as much exposure as playing in the Shrine or Senior Bowl.
I'm afraid when players find out about the coach leaving , it might deflate any motivation to play

I held off on buying tix for this very reason.

I can't see Purdue backing out of the bowl game. I recall WKU's defensive coordinator coached their team in their bowl game after brohm left. and then after he was overlooked for the head coaching job, he came to Purdue as our DC.

Reactions: indyogb
Wouldn't backing out of the bowl game cost the program lots of money? I imagine Hagen or English will take over as interim head. The game might be a blowout, but I can't imagine that will matter very much.

We are going for sure.

we're going to the Citrus bowl. there may be some players not going, and maybe some not motivated. and maybe without some coaches. but we're going.

I've also seen it both ways. sometimes a coach leaves immediately, and sometimes a coach stays and coaches the bowl game. I suspect Louisville would want brohm immediately, but that can be negotiated.

last year both tennessee and purdue played without key players. it turned out to be one of the most exciting bowl games of the past decade.

I'm quite sure several players from Purdue will opt out. But I'm already reading several LSU players are opting out as well.

you play the game with who you have.

Glorified exhibition game, great for younger players, it will be a fun event for fans looking to go to a nice place in January. As for backing out, I hope that comment was in jest because that’s not happening. Purdue got a nice bowl game against a big time opponent in a great place to play, no way in hell they’re not going!

There's no way Purdue backs out. Repeat NO WAY!
Exactly, also, what Chaos does this bring? The team lost its Coach, happens all the time, they’ll have one in place soon. I will say the Brian Brohm stuff was silly but whatever.

Purdue has a coach in place for the Bowl game. and they are making preprations with the players they have available.

with the current red shirting rule of a player can redshirt if he has played 4 games or less, maybe we'll activate a few players who basically redshirted all year to play and compensate for those that will not be playing. if you think about it, our freshman had a summer camp and an entire season to learn, condition and prepare. maybe 1-4 of them will be ready to participate in a bowl game while maintaining their redshirt status. while not probable, it is possible.

Bowl games aren't what they were, but they're still a couple steps above the Pro Bowl. :D
I have been to 9 Purdue bowl games going back to peach bowl in 1978. Most have been a lot of fun. Last year was one of the best. The location, sold out crowd, and exciting game with a win was more than I could have asked for. When you say bowls are not what they were, maybe you are talking about pre-1978.

Reactions: Mobes
I have been to 9 Purdue bowl games going back to peach bowl in 1978. Most have been a lot of fun. Last year was one of the best. The location, sold out crowd, and exciting game with a win was more than I could have asked for. When you say bowls are not what they were, maybe you are talking about pre-1978.
I’m totally jealous—Shutting up all those Vol goobers, and celebrating In Nashville must have been wonderful!!

Jesus Christ, big frown face. The Citrus* bowl payout is “8.2 million” versus the “5.7 million”
per team payout we’ve had the last 2 years in the Music City Bowl. Idc if Bobinski had to promise the ****ing world to Brian Brohm (he didn’t), we absolutely have to show up to that game. Oh and btw, it’s the highest $$ bowl game before you get into the split revenue stuff related to the CFP.

Citrus not Cirtrus*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT