ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel Eastern to play for Men of Mackey

Saw he was playing pro ball down in Mexico recently. Feel like these type of tournaments might actually benefit his style of play.

Maybe Nojel should consider trying to make it as a tight end in the NFL. A few college hoops players have succeeded in that route.

A long shot, but making it to the nba may be a greater long shot - if that is his goal.

He supposedly is also playing with or in the same league as Wheeler. He may never make the NBA, but he’s starting, has a job and making decent money. He’s basically living his dream. He was always a great person and team mate. I wish him well.

Well looks like I’ll take my hits for this post but so be it. Evidently I’m the only one who believes Nojel should have no right to associate himself with anything Mackey or Purdue again. And as I pointed out in another thread not because Nojel chose to leave Purdue, not because I hate Nojel or wish him ill. But rather for him being a coward and and choosing to slither out the back door without giving CMP and teammates any heads up that he was unhappy and considering leaving. Painter himself said he was given no notice until it was a done deal that Nojel was leaving and that he would not consider Nojel a Boilermaker. Contrarily, Taylor and Kelsey Barlow will always be Boilermakers in my eyes…Nojel was old enough to know what he was doing and had no respect for the Coach or University who offered him a free education and team with which to play. To me Nojel will now always be as toxic to Purdue as his Momma was. But as I also stated in the other thread I understand Perception is in the Eye of the Beholder…

Well looks like I’ll take my hits for this post but so be it. Evidently I’m the only one who believes Nojel should have no right to associate himself with anything Mackey or Purdue again. And as I pointed out in another thread not because Nojel chose to leave Purdue, not because I hate Nojel or wish him ill. But rather for him being a coward and and choosing to slither out the back door without giving CMP and teammates any heads up that he was unhappy and considering leaving. Painter himself said he was given no notice until it was a done deal that Nojel was leaving and that he would not consider Nojel a Boilermaker. Contrarily, Taylor and Kelsey Barlow will always be Boilermakers in my eyes…Nojel was old enough to know what he was doing and had no respect for the Coach or University who offered him a free education and team with which to play. To me Nojel will now always be as toxic to Purdue as his Momma was. But as I also stated in the other thread I understand Perception is in the Eye of the Beholder…
He can go play for Michigan, or Howard and wear his Eastern Michigan tee shirt from his Purdue press conference.

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
play 18 holes of golf drink 14 beers and try to read this

The narrative for Nojel could have been so different. Starting point guard on a B1G Championship/Elite 8 team. Two time first team all B1G defensive team. Couldn't shoot the three but was still able to score 7.5 points and grab 5.5 rebounds on a team that got plenty of scoring from others. Without all the hype and hyperbole he could have had a Chris Kramer type legacy.

The problem was there wasn't anyone close to him telling him what any casual fan could obviously see....... he probably wasn't going to play in the NBA. He couldn't accept it and it ended up costing him his senior year and much of the goodwill he had developed with the Purdue fan base.

I lost respect when he had no conversation with Painter, but badmouthed his former coach to the Detroit Free Press reporter while discussing his future at UM. (That didn't age well.)

I believe he learned a lot from his experience with Michigan. Mostly he learned his handlers were lying to him.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I believe he learned a lot from his experience with Michigan. Mostly he learned his handlers were lying to him.
There is a dark side to Michigan athletics. Anyone who is involved is either a super star and are treated "okay" (not great) or they are shit on by the department. It is all about the school and not the kids. Michigan is a great school academically, but I really don't like what they are doing in their athletic department.

I felt kind of bad for him. He thought he had an agreement and a done deal until Michigan found someone they really liked and dumped him like a piece of used gum.
I thought it was an academics issue that prevented him from transferring? Or was that cover that they didn’t really want him?

Academics was sited as the “public” reason Eastern was not accepted to Michigan. It was stated many of his credits from Purdue didn’t transfer to his chosen major at Michigan and it was the school that did not accept him. I transferred credits from Purdue to other schools. I have to believe the athletics department works with the academics department when recruiting an athlete and also works with the athlete to overcome academic deficiencies. He committed to Howard Univ but opted out of playing to concentrate on preparing for the NBA draft. Coach Howard signed a 4/5 star guard shortly thereafter. The links are on the internet at ESPN. There was obviously either a lack of communication or misunderstanding . Make your own conclusions.

Last edited:
I definitely think he was a good kid who got some bad advice. He was a great defender with a lot of physical skills. I'm happy to hear that his international career is going pretty well and that there appears to be some sort of reconciliation with the basketball program.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I definitely think he was a good kid who got some bad advice. He was a great defender with a lot of physical skills. I'm happy to hear that his international career is going pretty well and that there appears to be some sort of reconciliation with the basketball program.
Those are my exact same thoughts! He received some very bad advice from someone telling him to leave Purdue! He then received more bad advice from the coaching staff at Michigan. He received more bad advice about the NBA draft. It appears he is finally on his own. Doing what he wants to do. He won’t be a millionaire , but he will make a good, honest living .

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Speaking of Nojel’s issues with getting into UM because of “academics” - Caleb Love is back in the portal because of “academic transfer issues”.

Life is short. We are all going to die one day. Forgiveness is one of the highest arts there is. We are always only operating at whatever level of consciousness we are at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT