ADVERTISEMENT

No takers on the portal?

pulax78

Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
Plantation, FL
If a player enters the portal and has no takers, then they are free to return assuming they are welcome. - I would only take someone back if #1 we wanted them, #2 they signed a commitment to complete their college career, including grad eligibility with us.

Not sure I'd take someone back after their demonstrated lack of commitment.

Those coaches who are willing to accept players back are also showing their true colors as well! Winning takes priority over ethics!

Alaimo demonstrated said, "Lack of commitment" last summer. You want him gone?

Not sure I'd take someone back after their demonstrated lack of commitment.

I participate in an online game. I frequently tell people if they are not happy on our team, they are free to leave. And many did leave. And frequently it is our best player who leaves for what they believe are greener pastures! I’ve watched some that have left us Subsequently leave their next team as well.

They say it’s only a game. But it’s obvious they have no loyalty to myself nor the other 29 members of our team counting on their contributions!

If a player enters the portal and has no takers, then they are free to return assuming they are welcome. - I would only take someone back if #1 we wanted them, #2 they signed a commitment to complete their college career, including grad eligibility with us.
Wisky dealing w/ some of this last week, 2 players coming back because former teammates wanted them back. The players on the team acknowledged that the portal players were doing what was best for the them and when things didn't work out that way they accepted them back. Of course one was an ex 4 star wr Markus Allen and a big OL.

Reactions: rgarlitz
My take: bringing players who have entered the portal back to the team should probably be a case-by-case thing, especially amid a coaching change or some other seismic change within the program. We can't assume we always know why they entered the portal.

Many times we see a player is more loyal to a coach than a school. When a coach leaves, many times you see players leave as well. Sometimes they follow the coach. Sometimes they just leave.

This makes you wonder how much of a factor a school is as part of the player recruitment. Are they coming to play for the school ? Or the coach?

Coaches and players also build relationships. It shows up when players become assistants to their former coaches.

A head scratcher is Plummer transferring to Louisville. Maybe Plummer and Brohm had a better relationship than the media revealed!

Each case has unique circumstances we will never know or understand

Reactions: Boiler8285
Isn't that like Michigan taking Harbaugh back? I wouldn't think there would be any regrets from a team full of open arm's.

Last edited:
Would Purdue take Carr back from msu?

Or Allen back?

I think it’s a little different in taking somebody back if they have not signed with a different team.

This also has some relevance to bowl games. I have seen some players enter the portal and still play in their team’s bowl game.

Alabama has lost about 10-12 players to the portal. However, saban extended an invitation to all of them to play for Alabama in their bowl game.

Reactions: cnotez624
ADVERTISEMENT