ADVERTISEMENT

No surprise! Bad ref calls! Lousy field turf.

Purdue-Fan-Ian

Sophomore
Dec 3, 2004
Once again Purdue will have to beat ND AND the officials. Two extremely bad calls in a row against the Boilermakers. Defensive holding followed on the next play by pass interference. Both were terrible calls. I’ve watched this series since 1968……the officials ALWAYS have a bias for Notre Dame.

The field turf at ND sucks. Players from both teams are slipping and sliding all over the field. Yeah I hate ND but I always admired their natural grass field. This field turf is just awful.

Once again Purdue will have to beat ND AND the officials. Two extremely bad calls in a row against the Boilermakers. Defensive holding followed on the next play by pass interference. Both were terrible calls. I’ve watched this series since 1968……the officials ALWAYS have a bias for Notre Dame.

The field turf at ND sucks. Players from both teams are slipping and sliding all over the field. Yeah I hate ND but I always admired their natural grass field. This field turf is just awful.
Getting sick of ND’s officials
Last week I felt for Toledo in the end of the game, calls all going to ND
At least Drew said what needed to be said on the blatant no-call ‘hold’ on David Bell’s jersey…”that’s a call that is usually made, I guess not today.,.” Kinda says it all…sick of it

Reactions: BSIT and NVboiler
The lack of PI calls against ND was laughable. @NDAFArly knows ND got lucky as hell today.
It’s just old really really old watching crap like that be aloud. Let them play or just get rid of the officials all together and let the players call their own penalties

No.
If ND hits wide open receivers the score is 34-6.
ND is not great, but still a lot better than Purdue

No.

Dude you’re a clown. No other way to put it. If the officials make the correct calls and our guys catch easy passes, we win the game. Two can play this game. Our defense was up to the challenge especially without our top corner playing (at least one of those TD’s doesn’t happen if Trice plays).

We outgained you and that was with several drives stalled because of lack of PI calls against your secondary.

No.

That's like saying if ND had Tom Brady at QB they would have blown Purdue out because they don't currently have a QB who can make those plays. Dah!

Dude you’re a clown. No other way to put it. If the officials make the correct calls and our guys catch easy passes, we win the game. Two can play this game. Our defense was up to the challenge especially without our top corner playing (at least one of those TD’s doesn’t happen if Trice plays).
I like the way you’re thinking. So true, so true. If their guys catch all the passes they should catch they win the game going away, if the officials get the calls right and we catch every pass through on our way we were in the game. Absolutely you’re right two can play that game

Reactions: purduepat1969
No.

I don’t typically try to argue with other fans because I enjoy a different perspective.

But don’t be unreasonable. Yes your qb missed 3-4 really open receivers for big plays. But our wrs also dropped 3-5 pretty easy catches, several of which were 1st downs that could have prevented punts, and one was a td that ended up intercepted. And yes the refs missed a horrible pi call on bell that could have prevented another punt. If everyone makes the easy plays and no bad missed calls this is a close game.

Try to be fair and balanced.

Hats off to ND. Our defense hung tough without our best cb. Our offense couldn’t keep drives going unfortunately. Good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: BBG
I don’t typically try to argue with other fans because I enjoy a different perspective.

But don’t be unreasonable. Yes your qb missed 3-4 really open receivers for big plays. But our wrs also dropped 3-5 pretty easy catches, several of which were 1st downs that could have prevented punts, and one was a td that ended up intercepted. And yes the refs missed a horrible pi call on bell that could have prevented another punt. If everyone makes the easy plays and no bad missed calls this is a close game.

Hats off to ND. Our defense hung tough without our best cb. Our offense couldn’t keep drives going unfortunately. Good luck the rest of the way.

He can’t be fair and balanced. That’s his issue.

Reactions: DAG10

One day we will be back to a winning form. The answer is certainly though not in “getting rid of the coach“ but rather building upon something that could be considered stable. Getting rid of the coach at the end of the season as we’ve learned from the past creates 10 to 15 years of very very unwatchable football.
CJ be might have taken an eternity to build an offensive line, Bad luck hit with how many guys having to quit football? Can’t blame the coach on that one. I think it would be a waste not to keep moving forward with him and his staff. I think the staff is onto something

One day we will be back to a winning form. The answer is certainly though not in “getting rid of the coach“ but rather building upon something that could be considered stable. Getting rid of the coach at the end of the season as we’ve learned from the past creates 10 to 15 years of very very unwatchable football.
CJ be might have taken an eternity to build an offensive line, Bad luck hit with how many guys having to quit football? Can’t blame the coach on that one. I think it would be a waste not to keep moving forward with him and his staff. I think the staff is onto something
We're 2 and 1 with a great chance to go 4 and 1 here shortly with enough winnable games left to make a bowl. So I think we're already in a winning form, we just need the o line to execute.

I've been critical of Brohm but calling for him to get removed is kinda silly. It was a loss, there is no reason to jump off ledges.

We're 2 and 1 with a great chance to go 4 and 1 here shortly with enough winnable games left to make a bowl. So I think we're already in a winning form, we just need the o line to execute.

I've been critical of Brohm but calling for him to get removed is kinda silly. It was a loss, there is no reason to jump off ledges.
Brohm's proven he can fix issues (ie, the defense) by getting the right guy after a bad mistake with Diaco. Now he needs to fix the OL by either getting the right OL coach or right players. And he also needs to give up the play calling. However, firing Brohm right now would be a disaster for the program.

Thanks for your supporting comments! They are good things happening with this program, there’s really good players coming in. We are not a traditional football power so a rebuild takes a hell of a lot longer and injuries can completely change the trajectory, which obviously it has. But we are onto something, 4-1 looks doable!

Reactions: BBG and Beorik
Brohm's proven he can fix issues (ie, the defense) by getting the right guy after a bad mistake with Diaco. Now he needs to fix the OL by either getting the right OL coach or right players. And he also needs to give up the play calling. However, firing Brohm right now would be a disaster for the program.
Agree. Let Brian do the play calling as he seems to do pretty well. I feel like this team is very close to being very good, just need to shore things up.

And I am not using this as a "moral victory" at all but teams in the past that weren't coached by Joe Tiller, would of folded early on in the game today. We have seen that happen way too many times but up until the last second they were still fighting. That attitude will get us some wins and is a step in the right direction.

He had the right players, we just lost a ton of depth to injury. Injury that you can’t do anything about. Back issues are just part of the deal when you have a young man who is 6’5” tall or so and you put 310 pounds on that frame and you have him doing all kinds of things where his back gets involved in the weight room every day. Things are gonna happen that suck

But we are headed in the right direction

He had the right players, we just lost a ton of depth to injury. Injury that you can’t do anything about. Back issues are just part of the deal when you have a young man who is 6’5” tall or so and you put 310 pounds on that frame and you have him doing all kinds of things where his back gets involved in the weight room every day. Things are gonna happen that suck

But we are headed in the right direction
It isn't a "depth" issue. The starters can't run block. It's been that way for the past few years.

Purdue has no offense against decent teams, Plummer is not a clutch player, defense is a lot better, O line is poorly coached, play calling on 4th down was not good

It isn't a "depth" issue. The starters can't run block. It's been that way for the past few years.
It seems like it is depth though, when you rotate 6, no rest for starters
I agree with you tho thst we can’t run block

Depth is some, sure. But in the 1st Qtr, the OL couldn't run block or pass protect. That's not as I was responding to your comment I was thinking about “just that“. I think it’s just difficult because these kids don’t realize that if they were really good they could go anywhere and get to the NFL as a lineman. So when I go where are you are going to get a first class education?
Look up Michael Purcell at Elon University. My friends son is one of the top rank centers in the nation he is a redshirt Junior. He would be a top 20 player in the NFL draft next draft. He turned down Michigan to go to Elon because of the academics one of the top if not the top finance and accounting schools in the nation. He should be our number one priority after this season if he enters the transfer portal. I’m sure he wants to play big-time football in college at least once.

I'm not going to blame this one completely on the refs. Yeah there were a couple blatant missed calls. But we dropped a lot of passes. We got behind the chains a couple times in the wrong side of the field. We really didn't run the ball well at all. The big plays killed us on D. I just think we could have played a lot better than we did, and we were in the game the whole way basically.

I'm not going to blame this one completely on the refs. Yeah there were a couple blatant missed calls. But we dropped a lot of passes. We got behind the chains a couple times in the wrong side of the field. We really didn't run the ball well at all. The big plays killed us on D. I just think we could have played a lot better than we did, and we were in the game the whole way basically.
And the punting differential between the two teams was extreme.

I agree, just need a QB that is money on 3rd and 4th downs

This. I was at the game today, and #7 got away with a LOT of grabbing right in front of us.

We had opportunities, and just didn’t take advantage of them. We move on.

Reactions: jmohlman
Thanks for your supporting comments! They are good things happening with this program, there’s really good players coming in. We are not a traditional football power so a rebuild takes a hell of a lot longer and injuries can completely change the trajectory, which obviously it has. But we are onto something, 4-1 looks doable!
J, love your optimism. But who are we going to beat to get to 4-1? 2-1 currently with a win against Oregon State and UCONN. Watching that game yesterday convinced me that PU is a bit better in some parts of the game, but ND isn't the team many thought they would be. If they had played OSU or Wisky or Meetchicken yesterday, they would have lost.

But it could be worse.

J, love your optimism. But who are we going to beat to get to 4-1? 2-1 currently with a win against Oregon and UCONN. Watching that game yesterday convinced me that PU is a bit better in some parts of the game, but ND isn't the team many thought they would be. If they had played OSU or Wisky or Meetchicken yesterday, they would have lost.

We play Illinois and Minnesota the next two games so we have a shot at getting to 4-1.

I do agree that if we want to upset some of the best teams in the Big Ten we will have to play better than yesterday. Particularly on Offense and Special Teams. I think Defense played well enough to win yesterday.

No.
Part of who you are is a team who doesn’t hit wide open receivers. That’s like saying “if Milton Wright caught those balls.” Milton Wright has been dropping passes since he got here.

“a team with a wide receiver who drops passes right in his hands/chest” is who we ARE lol

I’m sure the pressure our DL brings has nothing to do with coans throws.

you need to be babysat and have your hands held by your daddy the official to beat us by 14.

in the playoffs your officials will never be enough

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

"Great" may be a bit of a stretch...particularly if Bell is out, but, this Purdue team should be good enough to indeed win those two games.

That said, I am not sure how many more wins there are after that...there are some there to be had, but, Purdue will have to be better on both sides of the ball, and in ST, for it to happen...especially in that the OL is just not good enough to execute...it is embarrassing that the OL issues remain and are what they are.

I think we have taken care of our business well.. and even without two ballers like Horvath and trice (and a very nice up and comer in Miller), but I haven’t seen any evidence that brohm can beat the fleckster and tanner morgan.

we have a great chance to go 3-1.. Illinois will be playing with nothing to lose but Purdue is just better. After that it will be a fight to get to 4-1. If Purdue plays really well… that means no fielding punts at the goal line or dropping passes my dad could catch, they could beat Minnesota. Depends how Minnesota plays

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
We play Illinois and Minnesota the next two games so we have a shot at getting to 4-1.

I do agree that if we want to upset some of the best teams in the Big Ten we will have to play better than yesterday. Particularly on Offense and Special Teams. I think Defense played well enough to win yesterday.
I thought the play calling sucked swamp water. But then, it has for the past few years. Where's all those trick plays I've heard about for the past five years? And like the past years under Brohm, there appears to be no punishment for making stupid plays.

The Illini will be playing for bragging rights, and I think the boat guy is simply the better coach. Illinois will be the better change for a win of the two.

Getting sick of ND’s officials
Last week I felt for Toledo in the end of the game, calls all going to ND
At least Drew said what needed to be said on the blatant no-call ‘hold’ on David Bell’s jersey…”that’s a call that is usually made, I guess not today.,.” Kinda says it all…sick of it
NDs officials? Those were BIG officials? Call Kevin Warren and tell him you thought Purdue got shafted by his refs at ND.

J, love your optimism. But who are we going to beat to get to 4-1? 2-1 currently with a win against Oregon State and UCONN. Watching that game yesterday convinced me that PU is a bit better in some parts of the game, but ND isn't the team many thought they would be. If they had played OSU or Wisky or Meetchicken yesterday, they would have lost.

But it could be worse.
FFS, you don’t think we can beat Illinois and Minnesota at HOME to get to 4-1?

ADVERTISEMENT