ADVERTISEMENT

No More Getting Sucked In & Getting Excited

Sep 4, 2001
Crown Point, IN
I am not going to get all jacked up again about the basketball team because of preseason ratings, fan excitement, etc. When I see Purdue sign 3 or 4 players that were also recruited by Michigan, Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan State, etc. then I will believe there is cause for optimism. One Swanigan or Robinson every 20 years won't cut it.

I am not going to get all jacked up again about the basketball team because of preseason ratings, fan excitement, etc. When I see Purdue sign 3 or 4 players that were also recruited by Michigan, Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan State, etc. then I will believe there is cause for optimism. One Swanigan or Robinson every 20 years won't cut it.

Help me out here because I just don't understand people like you. You're not going to get all jacked up again about preseason rankings? In your head what was Purdue ranked in the preseason?

They were ranked 3 spots lower then they are ranked right now, 24. If your post is real and you're really feeling those emotions I think you really need to re-evaluate the man in the mirror buddy, because he's misleading you.

tumblr_mmrfpbW0Ey1sqqdgdo1_250.gif

Agree, I am sad too. Purdue's chance of winning the national championship is long gone. Some people are just happy to win sweet 16, but I want more. We deserve 1 national championship in 100 years.

We don't deserve anything. For the record the NCAA championship is not 100 years old...you might want to rewrite your whine.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
Sure, you are right. Ohio state, michigan st, wisconsin, michigan, and Indiana deserve to win more than Purdue does. We should always the losers.

That's the spirit! Let's give up on our goals because we've encountered adversity! Seems like a great recipe for success in all endeavors! Sheesh!

At this point in the season, many good teams have lost a few games. That includes our team. I still think we're one of a couple dozen teams that could improve the next month and a half, start hitting more shots, have some good luck, and get to the FF & even win the whole thing.

I sure hope our team is not as defeatest as some of you seem to be. We lost some games; so what? Eyes on the prize, fools! Take it one game at a time & don't give up no matter what. Boiler Up!

Help me out here because I just don't understand people like you. You're not going to get all jacked up again about preseason rankings? In your head what was Purdue ranked in the preseason?

They were ranked 3 spots lower then they are ranked right now, 24. If your post is real and you're really feeling those emotions I think you really need to re-evaluate the man in the mirror buddy, because he's misleading you.

I absolutely agree with euchre13. This team barely made the tourney last year. They get Swanigan who btw was not ranked #1 in country but like 18th and all of a sudden Purdue is the greatest team in last 20 years at Purdue. The reality is the team could have used a 5 star 18th ranked Mcdonald's point guard. It's still a good team. I got excited about the hype.Then came Butler, then came the blown Iowa 17 pt lead. Then came the Illinois game. Then I realized the desperate fans and to be fair the local media overhyped this team. But the national rankings were pretty close to where this team is..

It's a good team that can beat likely anyone in the country AND lose to Illinois. They were beating Iowa in both first half's and lost badly in 2nd half. Kinda the story of this team this year. Yes it has talent and yes it has flaws that show up every game. I am picking them to go 23-9, 11-7 in Big 10. At best a 6th or 7th seed. With a 1st rd win and depending on matchup a sweet 16 appearnce would be a good season.

I absolutely agree with euchre13. This team barely made the tourney last year. They get Swanigan who btw was not ranked #1 in country but like 18th and all of a sudden Purdue is the greatest team in last 20 years at Purdue. The reality is the team could have used a 5 star 18th ranked Mcdonald's point guard. It's still a good team. I got excited about the hype.Then came Butler, then came the blown Iowa 17 pt lead. Then came the Illinois game. Then I realized the desperate fans and to be fair the local media overhyped this team. But the national rankings were pretty close to where this team is..

It's a good team that can beat likely anyone in the country AND lose to Illinois. They were beating Iowa in both first half's and lost badly in 2nd half. Kinda the story of this team this year. Yes it has talent and yes it has flaws that show up every game. I am picking them to go 23-9, 11-7 in Big 10. At best a 6th or 7th seed. With a 1st rd win and depending on matchup a sweet 16 appearnce would be a good season.
Sad isn't it?

Grandpa mathboy, I will stop complaining once Purdue reaches final 4, but you may not have chance to see it though in your life time.

Reactions: ahhculdee
What's this "we" business? Most of us traded tens of thousands of dollars for a degree, and our relationship with Purdue University stopped there. I was naive enough to spend money on the PAA and the JPC for a time, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be some 40 year old walking around a campus just because I paid to go to school there 20 years ago, and say stuff like "I talked to a girl near this fountain one time and almost banged her. Purdue sure was swell!" Grow up if you care about college after you're done with it.

main thing is for the team to be playing well at end of season, so they lose a few, I am sure they learn from it, this team doesn't give up, lets back our team, they are a good team this year, no team plays Purdue this year thinking they have a win

Agree, I am sad too. Purdue's chance of winning the national championship is long gone. Some people are just happy to win sweet 16, but I want more. We deserve 1 national championship in 100 years.
LOL
You need to get yourself to the nearest Wal-Mart ASAP and pick up a Duke t-shirt.

Do it quickly-- if not, you'll miss the next episode of Sponge Bob.

You act like recruiting is an exact science... Have you seen the guys that work as recruiting analysts? You have guys like ND Kendrick and B. Snow touting that they called Jaquan Lyle being the best of Indiana in his class after he dominates Rutgers (That would be better than Trey Lyles, Trevon Bluiett, and Bryant McIntosh by the way). They're clueless. Point is, of all the positions, PG is the hardest to predict, especially when the rankings value PG's that dominate the ball and are high volume shooters (see CJ Walker). So the notion that a 5 star point guard would have helped more than Swanigan is speculation at best, and ludicrous at worst. Purdue has had an edge in rebounding every single game. Our PG's have had success against top rated PG's this year, so stop selling them short please.
Jaquan Lyle: 5 star recruit- 0 field goals, 0 rebounds, 4 turnovers, 0 scared to bring the ball up.
Kasey Hill: McD's AA- PJ Thompson ate his lunch in the Florida game.
Bronson Koenig: Duke, Kansas, North Carolina offer- 7 points.

Reactions: tjreese
Sure, you are right. Ohio state, michigan st, wisconsin, michigan, and Indiana deserve to win more than Purdue does. We should always the losers.
I think you missed his point... I don't think he was saying that Purdue doesn't deserve it as much as others do, I think he was saying that neither Purdue (nor any other school) deserve to win an NCAA title just because the fans want it... and that it has to be earned.

I guess my frame of reference and expectations are not in alignment with those of most Purdue fans. Growing up in East Chicago, Indiana we got spoiled by our basketball program's success. Every year we were favored to win our conference, Sectional Tourney, Regional Tourney and go down state. In 1971 we went undefeated and won the Indiana State Championship with arguably the best high school basketball team in Indiana (or national) history. Six players on that team went on to Div1 programs with 3 going to UCLA, NC State and Louisville. Those 3 played against each other in the NCAA Final Four - I can't even calculate the odds of that happening. Check the YouTube video if interested:

I guess my frame of reference and expectations are not in alignment with those of most Purdue fans. Growing up in East Chicago, Indiana we got spoiled by our basketball program's success. Every year we were favored to win our conference, Sectional Tourney, Regional Tourney and go down state. In 1971 we went undefeated and won the Indiana State Championship with arguably the best high school basketball team in Indiana (or national) history. Six players on that team went on to Div1 programs with 3 going to UCLA, NC State and Louisville. Those 3 played against each other in the NCAA Final Four - I can't even calculate the odds of that happening. Check the YouTube video if interested:
So your "frame of reference"... is that 3 of your high school teammates went to different colleges and all 3 played in a final 4 game (in which at least 2 of the 3 didn't win a national title)... and this translated into your expectation that Purdue getting one top-level McDAA recruit was going to propel them into final four contention (in his freshman year!)... even though many other schools picked up an equal - or greater - number of McDAA players? I'm kind of at a loss for words here. And as somebody else already mentioned, Purdue is ranked today +/- only a couple spots from where they were in the pre-season, so they're very near where "experts" predicted them. What exactly was the source of the national title level of hype you bought? You do know there's a difference between hoping and expecting, right?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You do know there's a difference between hoping and expecting, right?
Expectations are the cause of all frustrations. Well, MISSED expectations are.

If one has no expectations, then one will have no frustration.

Grandpa mathboy, I will stop complaining once Purdue reaches final 4, but you may not have chance to see it though in your life time.

This: "Ohio state, michigan st, wisconsin, michigan, and Indiana deserve to win more than Purdue does. We should always the losers." is not complaining. It is petulant and immature crap that you should be embarrassed to post as yours. We both want to get to the final four, but posting what you did, adds nothing to this community's discussion about it.

How are the chances of a national title long gone? This team is in a better position than it was before the season started. It's definitely going to make the tournament now.

Sure, the shooters need to get hot at the right time and Swanigan, Edwards and Hammons must play consistently good, but there is still just as good of a chance (very low, just like every other team in the nation) of making a final four and national title.

Because you are sad they lost a few games doesn't mean anything is lost. It's not college football. Purdue will be in the tournament. The team needs to play better yes, but the players have shown the ability in stretches and it's certainly possible it can all be put together for a six-game run.

I know i have been excited about watching 21 games this year (and been really pissed 4 times). That's not too bad

Reactions: FirstDownB
Some of the comments in this thread are amazing. I didn't know Purdue had such stupid fans.

I would love it if all you suicidal bball fans just stopped following the program for good. Seems like a win/win. You don't have to be depressed about how bad the Purdue (17-4) bball team is, and the rest of us don't have to read your crap on here.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
Everything is based on probability. What I was saying... the chance to winning it all for this team is low.

My expectation for this team is to reach final 4 this season. I am not saying that we won't reach this goal by the end, but our chance seems quite low now at this point.

I think you missed his point... I don't think he was saying that Purdue doesn't deserve it as much as others do, I think he was saying that neither Purdue (nor any other school) deserve to win an NCAA title just because the fans want it... and that it has to be earned.
Of course that's what I meant ...ice and his ilk deserve only their sickening self pity. I will support Purdue Bball thru good and bad. If at some point they don't meet my personal standards I am free to withdraw my support. I'll be damned if I will whine like a bitch on a message forum.

outstanding ..especially those three with junior surviving the longest in basketball. Course in 1969 they were ranked 1 in the state and got beat by a tiny school called Rossville coached by Mike Jones that later coached at Delphi I believe. That game was a 20 pt loss in the afternoon handed by Rossville...16 mile east of Purdue. I'm sure if they played 10 time ECW would probably win 9...just not then...

Did I say that I am withdrawing support? Where do you get that, pig? I just say I will keep complaining until Purdue gets to final 4.

Of course that's what I meant ...ice and his ilk deserve only their sickening self pity. I will support Purdue Bball thru good and bad. If at some point they don't meet my personal standards I am free to withdraw my support. I'll be damned if I will whine like a bitch on a message forum.
Oink oink. You are whining. You do realize that, right? Didn't think so.

Guys - I am not whining. I just wish that Purdue would invest in a coaching staff (football & basketball) that was recognizable nationally and could recruit top talent on a national level. IU has a rich tradition in basketball yet they had no recruiting advantages over Purdue.

Coach Keady and Painter have made the most of what they're able to recruit, and that's great. I would like for once in my 50 years as a Purdue fan to wave a National Championship in IU's face, and that isn't going to happen with second tier talent.

Reactions: ahhculdee
Guys - I am not whining. I just wish that Purdue would invest in a coaching staff (football & basketball) that was recognizable nationally and could recruit top talent on a national level. IU has a rich tradition in basketball yet they had no recruiting advantages over Purdue.

Coach Keady and Painter have made the most of what they're able to recruit, and that's great. I would like for once in my 50 years as a Purdue fan to wave a National Championship in IU's face, and that isn't going to happen with second tier talent.

I think all know the close to National Tourney winner is more often than not...not the best team. One of the best teams certainly and one of the best in that window of time. Knight himself said his 75 team was the best and they got beat. How may tourney winners were not the best? You have fallen into the media hype as have MANY into thinking this tourney that is hand selected, hand matched, hand determined what site somehow rates as a crowning moment. Even though all teams don't play today, when there were even less playing, sometimes those teams played on the other teams floor. I love the excitement, but give me the field more often than not and another take the favorite and the field wins usually.

Here are the facts and you can color them however you like. In the tourney, IU has done better than Purdue when not facing the same route as Purdue. THAT is a fact. In the tourney when IU and Purdue had similar routes (1980) Purdue defeated IU and went on. When Purdue has played IU, Purdue has won more times than IU ...whether the last few years, last 10 years, last 25 years...whatever. When Purdue and IU played the other Big Ten teams, Purdue has an edge there as well. So, by any somewhat comparable criteria Purdue certainly seems to have just as rich (and data suggest even richer) history than IU...except when IU plays different competition...in the previously described tourney. IU can claim superiority in basketball, but there certainly are a LOT of qualifiers for someone not programmed by the media. Hang tough, things aren't as bad as you think... :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT