ADVERTISEMENT

Nnaji Announcement

Hey.....how do I know that's not just a C-note wrapped around a bunch of singles.

ezgif-5-1d41204d3232.gif
“Now I could use a good ass kicking!”

I would disagree as would the Portland Trailblazers, and would the NBA teams that passed over drafting the player of the year. If he had played the 4 his senior year, and Haas had played 25+ mins a game, with Vince at SF and Dakota, Carsen and PJ at guard, I believe Purdue would have had a much better team.

I believe Purdue can beat the lesser teams with it's motion offense. but I believe it needs a traditional PG who is also a floor general and directs the flow and is a coach on the floor to be able to beat the elite teams. Whe n was the last time Purdue actually had a true PG who was actually also a floor general handling and distributing the ball? and dictating the plays and offense?

I was a huge Quinn Buckner fan. He didn't score many points. But he played defense and he ran that IU team. and he ran the Bucks team until the Big O arrived. And then the Big O ran the team. the same with Sichting. You could say the same thing about Drew Brees. he was the floor general and coach on the field for Purdue football. I'm a true believer a successful team needs one of those type of players, rather than the multiple combination of flexible position combo players. I'm not saying we need somebody like Romeo who will run the offense through himself. I'm saying we need somebody who will run the offense and be that coach on the court. Admittedly, those type of players are very rare today. but they do exist.

Purdue has had plenty of Floor Generals at Point Guard. PJ Thompson, for one. Lewis Jackson. Jon Octeus. Those guys ran those teams as well as anyone. When Purdue has struggle, it's been when we haven't had those strong Floor Generals.

I would disagree as would the Portland Trailblazers, and would the NBA teams that passed over drafting the player of the year. If he had played the 4 his senior year, and Haas had played 25+ mins a game, with Vince at SF and Dakota, Carsen and PJ at guard, I believe Purdue would have had a much better team.

I believe Purdue can beat the lesser teams with it's motion offense. but I believe it needs a traditional PG who is also a floor general and directs the flow and is a coach on the floor to be able to beat the elite teams. Whe n was the last time Purdue actually had a true PG who was actually also a floor general handling and distributing the ball? and dictating the plays and offense?

I was a huge Quinn Buckner fan. He didn't score many points. But he played defense and he ran that IU team. and he ran the Bucks team until the Big O arrived. And then the Big O ran the team. the same with Sichting. You could say the same thing about Drew Brees. he was the floor general and coach on the field for Purdue football. I'm a true believer a successful team needs one of those type of players, rather than the multiple combination of flexible position combo players. I'm not saying we need somebody like Romeo who will run the offense through himself. I'm saying we need somebody who will run the offense and be that coach on the court. Admittedly, those type of players are very rare today. but they do exist.

Wole, although I agree with some of your sentiments regarding Quinn Buckner, I'm not sure I follow your timeline concerning the Bucks and the "Big O." It's also a different game now with the three-point line, shot clock, and other rules emphasis toward defense. However, I personally don't think there's one way to be successful on offense or defense. Admittedly, Coach Painter can be stubborn to a fault at times, but I think he's more adaptable than some give him credit for.....again....JMHO.

It should be really interesting to see how the offense flows through both Carsen Edwards and Nojel Eastern, especially during conference season. We shall see. I also think there could be some good opportunities for transition.

Other than Biggie for a minute Painter has used guy's smaller than Aaron at the 4 such as Hummel and Vince . Nnaji is an inch and a half taller than Aaron and basically the same weight 210-215 as far as muscle Aaron has that covered . I wish it wasn't true but the days of real POWER forwards is gone the bruisers are now called centers for the most part . Players like Aaron and Zeke are the gold standard now at the four IMO .
I think I can simplify it even more. You "need" 3 out and 2 under to use a phrase against a zone. You need three players that can shoot from the perimeter and drive the ball. You want two players that can play inside and out. How you shake that out with the players you have can be different, but that is the basic ingredient. You may play four out and 1 in in certain situations, but you may also need one of those to man the high post against a zone or just a high low option. Think of Wilson and Mo for Michigan....LOTS of offensive variety there. If you have a true 5 like Haas, then the player you have at the four may play more out, but can also be effective at 15 as well. Its kinda like making chili...a lot of basics for all chili but adjusted until you end up with the Boilermaker Chili

Biggie at the 4 with Haas at the 5 would have been good for offense, but we would have gotten killed on defense. That's just my opinion and I guess we'll never know for sure.

I think I can simplify it even more. You "need" 3 out and 2 under to use a phrase against a zone. You need three players that can shoot from the perimeter and drive the ball. You want two players that can play inside and out. How you shake that out with the players you have can be different, but that is the basic ingredient. You may play four out and 1 in in certain situations, but you may also need one of those to man the high post against a zone or just a high low option. Think of Wilson and Mo for Michigan....LOTS of offensive variety there. If you have a true 5 like Haas, then the player you have at the four may play more out, but can also be effective at 15 as well. Its kinda like making chili...a lot of basics for all chili but adjusted until you end up with the Boilermaker Chili
4 out and 1 in?

that 1 in better be mobile.

And you had to mention CHILI??!

great. we'll be turrible if @ChoiceBeef has his way.

4 out and 1 in?

that 1 in better be mobile.

And you had to mention CHILI??!

great. we'll be turrible if @ChoiceBeef has his way.
my preference and I stated it for a few years is what Michigan had a couple of years ago...two 4's and three perimeter players. Haas wasn't mobile and Purdue many times against man had four out. I just think 2 people that can play inside AND out allow soooooo much versatility. 4 out used to be somewhat unheard of, but now you see a few more playing it...not my preference though. Had Chili the last two nights...I like it after a day of crockpot on low once cooked...

Last edited:
UNC fans on Twitter are saying Zeke left his visit early. Assuming this is true, was he just trying to catch an earlier flight home or was he so uninterested in UNC that he straight up left them? I prefer the latter.

UNC fans on Twitter are saying Zeke left his visit early. Assuming this is true, was he just trying to catch an earlier flight home or was he so uninterested in UNC that he straight up left them? I prefer the latter.
Being that his visit was unofficial, and the fans on twitter are probably some of the least invested fans of college basketball since they root for UNC, they probably didn’t realize that unofficials often times are one day long and he probably was just there for the game. Now, if he actually left early and missed stiff that was scheduled, that would pose to be interesting.

Being that his visit was unofficial, and the fans on twitter are probably some of the least invested fans of college basketball since they root for UNC, they probably didn’t realize that unofficials often times are one day long and he probably was just there for the game. Now, if he actually left early and missed stiff that was scheduled, that would pose to be interesting.

Hope this has significant implications, but who knows at this point. This is such a quiet recruitment. I’d take even the tiniest rumor he is leaning one way or another at this point. He is deciding in less than a week and even the crystal balls haven’t begun to slightly change. Not that the crystal ball is anything to go off of seeing how it has screwed us in the past, but Kentucky is still seen at 36% even though they are not in consideration anymore. I guess actual recruit “experts” know as little as us.

FROM an NC site:
“Zeke’s kind of the modern power forward,” said 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Brian Snow. “He can shoot threes, he can switch ball screens, he rebounds and he’s about 6-10 with some length. In terms of what the NBA is looking for, he’s it at the power forward position. He’s not going to play on the wing, but he’s kind of the ‘4’ who can play some ‘5’. He’s not going to find himself on the wing, because that would take away what makes him effective as a player.”

Added 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Evan Daniels: “He (Nnaji) had a tremendous spring and summer. He has good size, and offensively there is a lot of potential. He has good hands, and he impressed me with his ability to shoot from the mid-range, and he’s a good shooter off the catch. I just like how hard he plays. He brings energy.”

Nnaji has already taken all five of his allotted official visits -- to Purdue, Arizona, Baylor, UCLA, and Kansas. His visit this weekend to North Carolina will thus technically be unofficial and will be the final visit before he announces his decision next Friday.

Five-star big man Armando Bacot and point guard Jeremiah Francis both signed with North Carolina on Wednesday. The Tar Heels are looking to add as many as three more players to this class, keying especially on perimeter scorers and versatile forwards.

I’d say this guy was going to be a tough get anyway. Not sure how I feel about our “dark horse” chances anymore. He has kept his process quiet, and we don’t really have much info on if CMP has been persistent with him, so I guess we will see.

Looks like he (and his parents) arrived there early on Friday, and left Saturday evening after a football tailgate. So probably not too much different than your normal Friday evening - to - Sunday morning visit.

Sounds like the family is very detailed oriented. They are going to sit down with a spreadsheet and debate the pros/cons of each school over the next few days.

Aaaannnnd he's gone. C'mon guys no way we have a chance with those offers. Backup third string center is better at UNC than starting at Purdue.

I never can figure out why our fans do this.

We get 40 year old bald headed transfers and guys that flew so under the radar that MSU and UNC never bothered to look.

Other than Big Dog. And we went nowhere with him.

We mold Clines into serviceable but non athletic players. We find turds and polish them so hard we think they're diamonds but nobody else sees it, we are Joe working mans straight up no shoe money top 25 team every year.

Yippeeeeee!

We mold Clines into serviceable but non athletic players. We find turds and polish them so hard we think they're diamonds but nobody else sees it, we are Joe working mans straight up no shoe money top 25 team every year.

Yippeeeeee!
Then go root for someone else you spineless douche. Seriously you 'fans' are the worst and why this forum is essentially a joke. You get on here d rant and PMS all over the forum like you are entitled to something when you would get schooled by Tommy Luce as he dunks on you.

Just shut up you worthless pile of crap.

Yippeeeeee!
Thank you Mr sunshine!

Yeah! What an ass. Do we really have to read your crap every time we lose a game? Really?

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
UNC picked up that Jerry Meyer (tea leaf) CB.. it’s all but over at this point

Yippeeeeee!
This just proves how good of a coach that Painter is. I mean if we are as untalented as you say then he is a genius. Maybe it will shut up the Painter haters. Boiler Up!

Our best recruit is Brandon Newman at #121. Shows the perception of our program even with Biggie.

Last edited:
Our nest recruit is Brandon Newman at #121. Shows the perception of our program even with Biggie.

He’s 75 on rivals. Regardless, top talent want to go to schools that have gone deep in the tourney, but it’s very hard to go deep without top talent. That’s the great conundrum we face. Being the underdog constantly in recruiting comes with playing fair. But we always do great with what we have.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
Maybe we need to start cheating, paying players, etc. if everyone else is doing it and that’s what it apparently takes (according to some on here) maybe Purdue should to (tic).
But seriously, Vanderbilt, Oregon, Texas, Cal, Baylor and some other non blue bloods are landing 5 stars and Painter just can’t close the deal.

Reactions: ahhculdee
Maybe we need to start cheating, paying players, etc. if everyone else is doing it and that’s what it apparently takes (according to some on here) maybe Purdue should to (tic).
But seriously, Vanderbilt, Oregon, Texas, Cal, Baylor and some other non blue bloods are landing 5 stars and Painter just can’t close the deal.

Not everyone...….just most! Not sure I'd blame CMP at this point. Did you say Oregon? LOL

I’d say we were right there again. UNC swooping in at last minute and spending 1 day with the kid seals it......That’s not Painters fault; but frustrating as we needed a 4 for next year. Paint and crew need to figure out how to close a few of these out; no trophies for 2nd place in recruiting battles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT