ADVERTISEMENT

Nnaji Announcement

This is such a unique, out of left field type recruit, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we got him. Well maybe just slightly....
We seem to get the guys we don’t expect to sometimes, and not the guys we expect to get, e.g. Newman, Biggie, then on the flip side, Armaan, Malik, etc.

For all those out there that want sizzle, Rick Pitino is available and would probably come for a decent salary. He has had multiple schools to the FF. The thought of Purdue becoming that school that embraces that type of individual sickens me, but who am I to judge?

We need 1 more for this class at either forward or center spot. He fills any of those holes in our future roster. Hopefully he makes the wise conservative decision that will propell him to be the best big man he can be.

I am not convinced we need a stud PF . I am convinced we already have one ! And next year will be his 3rd in the Purdue system which IMO it will take a lottery pick to unseat him . By no means am I saying Nnaji wouldn't make us better clearly he would . What I am saying is Aaron Wheeler is up for the job as well .

so, the question remains: Can Painter outsell Roy?
Can Painter convince a kid, that despite his lack of tourny success, that PU is the best place for him for the next few years to prepare for the NBA?
Let's put it this way: Who as a HC at PU, could outsell Roy in a head to head recruiting battle? (or outsell Izzo since he's who we lose a lot more recruits to).

Reactions: Do Dah Day
so, the question remains: Can Painter outsell Roy?
Can Painter convince a kid, that despite his lack of tourny success, that PU is the best place for him for the next few years to prepare for the NBA?
Let's put it this way: Who as a HC at PU, could outsell Roy in a head to head recruiting battle? (or outsell Izzo since he's who we lose a lot more recruits to).
YEP - - - just to stir the pot, can anyone else outsell Roy at this point????????

Name some names y'all

I am not convinced we need a stud PF . I am convinced we already have one ! And next year will be his 3rd in the Purdue system which IMO it will take a lottery pick to unseat him . By no means am I saying Nnaji wouldn't make us better clearly he would . What I am saying is Aaron Wheeler is up for the job as well .
With his athleticism and outside shot, don't you see Wheeler transitioning to SF? That would give us a huge, athletic line-up with Haarms, Nnaji, and Wheeler on the front line and Eastern and Hunter at guards.

Wheeler is a SF. Not a PF unless he adds 40 pounds of muscle. He has a great future but he’s a wing.

Reactions: Schnelk
Boeheim has already been busted, got suspended for a bunch of games.

Boeheim was not busted for recruiting violations. He got busted because the athletic department didn't enforce their own drug policies and some of his players were paid for volunteer work at the local YMCA. The guy who ran the local YMCA was also a booster at Syracuse so it fell under impermissible benefits. Obviously this breaks NCAA rule and Boeheim as the head guy took the fall but it's pretty ridiculous to lump Boeheim in as a "cheater" with those involved in a pay for play scheme in order to land a recruit.

Reactions: oldboiler52
And the #1 recruiter is...……………..
Money-Bills-WadWithRubberBand-01.jpg

With his athleticism and outside shot, don't you see Wheeler transitioning to SF? That would give us a huge, athletic line-up with Haarms, Nnaji, and Wheeler on the front line and Eastern and Hunter at guards.
I was convinced he would play the 3 until the Ball State game . He looks like a taller Vince to me . Also Isaiah , Brandon , Eric , Sasha and Nojel all are likely to play . Newman looks to be a three in the Dakota mode as well as Sasha .

Wheeler is a SF. Not a PF unless he adds 40 pounds of muscle. He has a great future but he’s a wing.
Other than Biggie for a minute Painter has used guy's smaller than Aaron at the 4 such as Hummel and Vince . Nnaji is an inch and a half taller than Aaron and basically the same weight 210-215 as far as muscle Aaron has that covered . I wish it wasn't true but the days of real POWER forwards is gone the bruisers are now called centers for the most part . Players like Aaron and Zeke are the gold standard now at the four IMO .

Reactions: buffboiler
Boeheim was not busted for recruiting violations. He got busted because the athletic department didn't enforce their own drug policies and some of his players were paid for volunteer work at the local YMCA. The guy who ran the local YMCA was also a booster at Syracuse so it fell under impermissible benefits. Obviously this breaks NCAA rule and Boeheim as the head guy took the fall but it's pretty ridiculous to lump Boeheim in as a "cheater" with those involved in a pay for play scheme in order to land a recruit.
I believe he is the head of the ethics committee . He is a honest man IMO Painter recently used him as an example of why you don't need to cheat .

I agree with this. I don't like Boeheim, but I don't think he cheats. In this situation, he got caught on some very small issues that probably did not give him any sort of advantage in recruiting. Perhaps it is much like the Keady incident, except for our assistant coach getting scared and lying. Both schools paid a penalty beyond what was called for, especially if you look at the current scandals, or even the UM fab five hot tube money, and the resulting penalties.

I guess I do think they cheat. Now, that's just my opinion...…..but, hell, I thought that even before the whole "shoe company" thing came to light. I'll admit it, I think a helluva lot more cheat, than don't. Then you have guys like Dickie V calling them Hall of Famers. It sickens me to the core.

Dickie V is all fluff.

He was a novelty back when ESPN was fresh. His act never changed. It's like going to see the 80's pop icon who had one hit, and then realizing why you walk away disappointed. (It was just one song.)

Zion Williamson's stepdad was asking Kansas for cash, a house, and a job. They have since moved from Spartanburg, SC to a $900,000 home in Durham, NC.
Well, this pretty much closes the deal for me. Duke is dirty. I had hoped not, but they are dirty, dirty, dirty.

Zion Williamson's stepdad was asking Kansas for cash, a house, and a job. They have since moved from Spartanburg, SC to a $900,000 home in Durham, NC.

“I think [college basketball] is actually pretty clean,” he told ESPN on Monday.
“I really haven’t followed it that much,” Krzyzewski said about the trial during his team’s media day press conference on Monday. “I think it’s minute, it’s a blip. It’s not what’s happening. … We haven’t lost guys because someone cheated. I haven’t paid attention to it because I haven’t been affected by it.”

“I think [college basketball] is actually pretty clean,” he told ESPN on Monday.
“I really haven’t followed it that much,” Krzyzewski said about the trial during his team’s media day press conference on Monday. “I think it’s minute, it’s a blip. It’s not what’s happening. … We haven’t lost guys because someone cheated. I haven’t paid attention to it because I haven’t been affected by it.”
He is either stupid or thinks everyone else is stupid.

Also, to quote Mark Titus from OSP: I thought he said it was a blimp, and I thought he was talking about Zion Williamson

as for wheeler, I believe he is best suited to play as a 3. I also felt Hummel and Vince would have been better players at the three than the four. and biggie was better suited at the 4 than the 5. however, Painter obviously felt differently.

Just think of how great our teams would have been if we had an adequate center to allow Biggie to remain at the 4.

just think how great our teams would have been if we had an adequate 4 to allow Vince and Hummel to play the 3.

I'll be honest, I hate the 3 guard system. And I'd much prefer a big rebounding PF, a shot blocking defensive minded C, and a big Sf who can hit outside shots, and two guards - one who can shoot, and one who is the floor general responsible for distributing the ball. Purdue is not that team.

I stand corrected then on the most recent punishment.

But Syracuse was also punished back in 1992 for a bunch of transgressions that took place in the 1980s. They were also very closely aligned with a well-known NYC bagman named Rob Johnson.

That's what a typical rat would say.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
as for wheeler, I believe he is best suited to play as a 3. I also felt Hummel and Vince would have been better players at the three than the four. and biggie was better suited at the 4 than the 5. however, Painter obviously felt differently.

Just think of how great our teams would have been if we had an adequate center to allow Biggie to remain at the 4.

just think how great our teams would have been if we had an adequate 4 to allow Vince and Hummel to play the 3.

I'll be honest, I hate the 3 guard system. And I'd much prefer a big rebounding PF, a shot blocking defensive minded C, and a big Sf who can hit outside shots, and two guards - one who can shoot, and one who is the floor general responsible for distributing the ball. Purdue is not that team.
I think that Painter’s system works best with more versatility than that. The 4 is a key position in his system, where you want a highly skilled player. I don’t see a need for a traditional point guard and actually prefer 3 versatile combo guards with nice length. Having a good mobility at the 5 is a big plus in Painter’s defensive schemes, as well.

Painter's goal is to develop Wheeler as a 3, Nnaji would have zero influence over this. Nnaji and Wheeler would be a strong compliment to each other. It would also allow Manny and TWill to develop with less pressure to produce immediately.

I dream of a team that plays Haarms, Nnaji, Wheeler, Hunter and Eastern with Newman, Manny, TWill, Boudreaux and Thompson coming off the bench. (Expecting a year for Gillis to get fully back up to speed following nearly 10 months off)

Reactions: BoilerBulldog

Biggie most definitely had an "adequate" center on his teams. Unless you don't consider hammons, haarms, and haas adequate. Biggie was just best suited to play a 5 who could occasionally step out and hit a 3.

Reactions: Schnelk
Biggie most definitely had an "adequate" center on his teams. Unless you don't consider hammons, haarms, and haas adequate. Biggie was just best suited to play a 5 who could occasionally step out and hit a 3.

I would disagree as would the Portland Trailblazers, and would the NBA teams that passed over drafting the player of the year. If he had played the 4 his senior year, and Haas had played 25+ mins a game, with Vince at SF and Dakota, Carsen and PJ at guard, I believe Purdue would have had a much better team.

I believe Purdue can beat the lesser teams with it's motion offense. but I believe it needs a traditional PG who is also a floor general and directs the flow and is a coach on the floor to be able to beat the elite teams. Whe n was the last time Purdue actually had a true PG who was actually also a floor general handling and distributing the ball? and dictating the plays and offense?

I was a huge Quinn Buckner fan. He didn't score many points. But he played defense and he ran that IU team. and he ran the Bucks team until the Big O arrived. And then the Big O ran the team. the same with Sichting. You could say the same thing about Drew Brees. he was the floor general and coach on the field for Purdue football. I'm a true believer a successful team needs one of those type of players, rather than the multiple combination of flexible position combo players. I'm not saying we need somebody like Romeo who will run the offense through himself. I'm saying we need somebody who will run the offense and be that coach on the court. Admittedly, those type of players are very rare today. but they do exist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT