ADVERTISEMENT

NKE Stock down 2.65% thus far today. Biggest loser on DJIA.

lol people destroying clothes and apparel they've already purchased presumably think liberals get offended too easily.

Reactions: chiefboiler23
lol people destroying clothes and apparel they've already purchased presumably think liberals get offended too easily.
Yeah I don't get that either. Kind of like idiots burning the american flag. If you don't agree with Nike's ad campaign then don't buy their stuff. Pretty simple.

If anything this has given us some great memes.

VPgbMeUCNfhm2vCA4VultSIlHXSOSu57O4dMQlL9-rs.jpg

Switching gears a bit from whether or not Nike made a smart business decision with the CK ad campaign...to the ad itself. It reads that CK "sacrificed everything." Considering that CK opted out of his $14 million contract with the 49's and later turned down a 2 year $14 million contract with the Broncos all while continuing to collecting money from his Nike contract....how exactly did CK sacrifice everything?

Switching gears a bit from whether or not Nike made a smart business decision with the CK ad campaign...to the ad itself. It reads that CK "sacrificed everything." Considering that CK opted out of his $14 million contract with the 49's and later turned down a 2 year $14 million contract with the Broncos all while continuing to collecting money from his Nike contract....how exactly did CK sacrifice everything?

Well, first off lets make sure we all have the facts here. First, yes he technically opted out of his contract with the 49ers, but the owner has already stated he was going to be cut anyway so that is a moot point. Second, the offer he got from the Broncos was to begin in the 2016 season, prior to the protesting, at a significant pay cut. I can't fault him for turning that down when he was going to make almost the same amount with the 49ers in 2016 alone.

As for the campaign, I agree that "sacrificing everything" is not the best tag line to use with CK. He has not sacrificed everything in the way others have; but that is not to say he hasn't sacrificed greatly. People have put up Pat Tillman as a better representative, which would be true for the tag line.

I think the biggest component in the sacrificing conversation is not that he is no longer in the NFL, that is a big deal as I do believe that he has been pushed out for his protests as teams don't want that headache; but instead what has happened with his public image. Yes, he did this to himself by speaking out, but he has effectively made his own person brand incredibly polarizing to the point that I never would have thought a company like Nike would come calling. Prior to this deal I would have considered that a major sacrifice...but that is just me.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Well, first off lets make sure we all have the facts here. First, yes he technically opted out of his contract with the 49ers, but the owner has already stated he was going to be cut anyway so that is a moot point. Second, the offer he got from the Broncos was to begin in the 2016 season, prior to the protesting, at a significant pay cut. I can't fault him for turning that down when he was going to make almost the same amount with the 49ers in 2016 alone.

As for the campaign, I agree that "sacrificing everything" is not the best tag line to use with CK. He has not sacrificed everything in the way others have; but that is not to say he hasn't sacrificed greatly. People have put up Pat Tillman as a better representative, which would be true for the tag line.

I think the biggest component in the sacrificing conversation is not that he is no longer in the NFL, that is a big deal as I do believe that he has been pushed out for his protests as teams don't want that headache; but instead what has happened with his public image. Yes, he did this to himself by speaking out, but he has effectively made his own person brand incredibly polarizing to the point that I never would have thought a company like Nike would come calling. Prior to this deal I would have considered that a major sacrifice...but that is just me.
Thanks for the reasonable response. I see that the 49's were going to cut him so one has to wonder his worth in the league if the god awful 49's were going to release him. The Broncos were willing to take a chance on him as they've been trying to find a decent qb since Manning retired. CK turned down the Broncos offer thinking he was worth more than $7 million/year. Obviously he was wrong about his worth to an NFL team. I see no sacrifice there. As far as his Nike contract, he's been under contract with them since 2011. I think there are those who are offended by him being selected by Nike for any ad campaign but there are others who take issue with the sacrificed everything tag line.

Last edited:
I read little politics into Nike's choice. I am personally quite confident it was nothing more than a business decision based upon whatever metrics they utilized.

Good business practice is to NOT get involved with controversy and never with politics or religion. Not sure how this will play out but IMHO it was not a smart move by Nike.
Very bold move by Nike. I have been watching pro football since I was a kid. I try and watch the Saints because of Drew. I frankly do not watch much anymore and this only makes it worse.
I read little politics into Nike's choice. I am personally quite confident it was nothing more than a business decision based upon whatever metrics they utilized.
I watched the ad. Did not have Michael or Tiger in the ad and they made billions for Nike. I saw Lebron, Serena, various other. I get the go for it and the effort. They imply CK gave up his career for his cause. I think it is very political.

Duhhh...I understand the political overtones of the ad campaign commercials. My point was that I don't think Nike gives a shit about the politics of it, only that it will be a hot issue that they believe will sell more products.

His contract with Nike had expired or was going to expire when he signed the new contract with Nike. Does anyone know how much he was guaranteed from the new contract?

My point was that I don't think Nike gives a shit about the politics of it, only that it will be a hot issue that they believe will sell more products.
trump would favor the move.

"Good publicity is preferable to bad, but from a bottom-line perspective, bad publicity is sometimes better than no publicity at all. Controversy, in short, sells."

-trump, art of the deal

Last edited:
"NFL quarterback who led player protests against racial injustice and police brutality during the national anthem."

At least the article got this part right. I'm sure you and your brethren still think it is directly against the USA and the flag.

Lot of sub issues here-

-I thought the kneeling was fine, actually a peer from military suggested it to him. Thought it was a good idea too.

-That said this is a communication 101 issue. Do not get the delivery of your message interfere with your actual message. Always realize that freedom of speech works both ways. One can protest, one can counter protest.

Personally, I like Champion gear. Old school, cheaper, what I grew up with, works just as well. So do not really care about Nike one way or the other.

Nothing like some good ol' homophobia from those unable to make valid points. Well played I guess.

Back to the topic at hand for the adults wanting to discuss whether or not this was a good business decision by Nike. Based on the below polling, it would appear the company has alienated a portion of their customers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-the-national-anthem/?utm_term=.11f0180f6fb8

Read an article that said in the last two days Robinhood reported that action on Nike was up 300% in concern with Nike. And 900% higher around the northwest USA/Oregon.

The fact that stock fell overall with that upward pressure is a sign in the short term that people/investors do not like it. That said, with the upward momentum from millenials(who are main people on Robinhood) this could be a good long term play.

For those that do not know Robinhood is an invest app popular with those under 40. No, I do not use it.

It will be interesting to see if any of their school contracts get cancelled over this.

All comes down to money. If Purdue is offered a long term high eight figure or nine figure contract from Addidas or Under Armour I want them to take it. Nothing to do with Nike's campaign slogan either.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I think that no company in the world can see the unintended consequences of an action. This interests me as I think it might be a case of very unexpected unintended consequences and at this point, I haven't a clue as to how that will go. Other companies that have gotten involved in politics or ??? have not fared well in the marketplace but perhaps, Nike will be different.

inexpensive branding, especially for their market/industry.
nike has used social commentary and 'controversial' ads thru the years...

-barkley - "not a role model"
-hiv positive runner
-women/girls - "if you let me play sports"
-tiger woods - i wouldn't be allowed to play in some country clubs
-andre agassi jean shorts - inappropriate to the sport (or serena williams now-banned body suits)
-arabic/hijab sportswear line - "what will they say about you"

For those keeping track at home, NKE was down 1.27% for the week, but is still up about 60% for the last 52 weeks. S&P 500 was down 0.89% for the week. This Colin Kapernick thing has shaken Nike to its very core.... ...........
Hilarious that CK has fooled so many into believing he sacrificed his failing football career for the BLM movement. Before he ever sat for the national anthem the god awful 49's were getting ready to cut his ass before he opted out of his contract. The Broncos offered him a 2 year $14 million deal to be their back-up. "No thanks...I'm going to give this I AM SPARTACUS thing a try and see if I can make a career out of it." So he sat on the bench like a petulant child and convinced the woke crowd that it was for them. LMAO! He was relegated to being nothing but a back-up quarterback and so he turned his last days on an NFL bench into a brilliant marketing ploy.

Congrats CK - you convinced Nike and the wokesters that you sacrificed your last hours as an NFL qb for the betterment of black people everywhere...well...at least those who refuse to comply with police commands that is. And you're making millions off of this ruse. Well done CK...well done!

Hilarious that CK has fooled so many into believing he sacrificed his failing football career for the BLM movement. Before he ever sat for the national anthem the god awful 49's were getting ready to cut his ass before he opted out of his contract. The Broncos offered him a 2 year $14 million deal to be their back-up. "No thanks...I'm going to give this I AM SPARTACUS thing a try and see if I can make a career out of it." So he sat on the bench like a petulant child and convinced the woke crowd that it was for them. LMAO! He was relegated to being nothing but a back-up quarterback and so he turned his last days on an NFL bench into a brilliant marketing ploy.

Congrats CK - you convinced Nike and the wokesters that you sacrificed your last hours as an NFL qb for the betterment of black people everywhere...well...at least those who refuse to comply with police commands that is. And you're making millions off of this ruse. Well done CK...well done!
Yeah, none of that addressed the point of my post, which was that your reaction and celebration about Nike dropping 2.65% in one day was idiotic. Par for the course for you, really.

Like Trump, his followers declare victory before the battle has begun.
The_Donald was celebrating because Kim didn't have missles in the last parade. Sure sign of lasting peace on the peninsula.

Like Trump, his followers declare victory before the battle has begun.
The_Donald was celebrating because Kim didn't have missles in the last parade. Sure sign of lasting peace on the peninsula.
Using even the slightest bit of logic, one should realize that the point of the thread was pointless, the thinking incredibly flawed.

ADVERTISEMENT