ADVERTISEMENT

NIL the rich get richer.

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
a Texas WR was offered a 7 figure NIL to transfer, but decided to stay at Texas.. Obviously, Texas fans scraped up enough money to keep him happy enough to stay at Texas This alludes to two things.

1. if he's willing to give a Texas receiver who wasn't even an all American $1 mil to transfer, what would he offer to somebody who's actually good? and by losing out, he still has that $1 mil to offer to somebody else.

2. with this type of money being given away, it doesn't matter how great of a NIL program Purdue has established, you're not going to find Purdue alum/backers willing to just give away $1 mil to one football player. or a basketball player. Ely Lilly has more important and beneficial things to spend their money on. my guess is these are the same type of people that also throw away millions into political CAP funds and spend thousands for a chicken dinner.

This was just announced that there is a bidding war for WR Pittsburgh Jordan Addison. It looks like USC is probably going to get him for close to $3 million.

Freaking insane!!! Great call NCAA with this NIL. Idiots!
I wouldn't call the NCAA the idiot. I'd call the booster willing to give 3 mil to a football player the idiot. i sure don't have that type of money to just give away. it's not like the athlete is going to ever give it back.

This was just announced that there is a bidding war for WR Pittsburgh Jordan Addison. It looks like USC is probably going to get him for close to $3 million.

Ncaa didn’t have a choice. The states force the issue after the schools dragged their feet for decades

Just another way California F's things up by the tail wagging the dog for the rest of the country. They were the state that started all this sh$t. It's the same thing with regulations they demand on products (CARB Compliance) that just raise costs for those in the rest of the country.

a Texas WR was offered a 7 figure NIL to transfer, but decided to stay at Texas.. Obviously, Texas fans scraped up enough money to keep him happy enough to stay at Texas This alludes to two things.

1. if he's willing to give a Texas receiver who wasn't even an all American $1 mil to transfer, what would he offer to somebody who's actually good? and by losing out, he still has that $1 mil to offer to somebody else.

2. with this type of money being given away, it doesn't matter how great of a NIL program Purdue has established, you're not going to find Purdue alum/backers willing to just give away $1 mil to one football player. or a basketball player. Ely Lilly has more important and beneficial things to spend their money on. my guess is these are the same type of people that also throw away millions into political CAP funds and spend thousands for a chicken dinner.

Just curious...Purdue has 45,000 students, produces about, what? 8,000 alum a year? We're a big time program with big time sports with some very passionate fans. Why would some very rich, very passionate alums be willing to pony up some big NIL $?

In another news, Ethan Morton started a gofundme page for a basketball trip to compete in Spain. I hope Purdue fans put in the money for him. It's just absurd how others are getting 7-figures and a good soldier like him has to go the gofundme route.

Reactions: Tommaker
In another news, Ethan Morton started a gofundme page for a basketball trip to compete in Spain. I hope Purdue fans put in the money for him. It's just absurd how others are getting 7-figures and a good soldier like him has to go the gofundme route.
My question is how hard Purdue is really going to go to compete with all of this money being thrown out of athletes. You are seeing articles of some schools giving all of their OL a certain amount of money.

If they had the NIL when Rondale was a freshman, would we have been able to keep him after his freshman year?

Will we be able to get 4 stars to come to Purdue, football and basketball, here in another year or so due to other schools being able to offer more opportunities (money)?

My question is how hard Purdue is really going to go to compete with all of this money being thrown out of athletes. You are seeing articles of some schools giving all of their OL a certain amount of money.

If they had the NIL when Rondale was a freshman, would we have been able to keep him after his freshman year?

Will we be able to get 4 stars to come to Purdue, football and basketball, here in another year or so due to other schools being able to offer more opportunities (money)?
Even the low rated 4 stars we normally get are going to be hard to come by as far as basketball goes. Going to be seeing a lot more smith/berg/wadell type classes full of unrated prospects no other p5 teams wanted(unless we start playing the nil game).

Reactions: SKYDOG
If NIL money is the new normal, Purdue athletic admin will need to find a way to make it work to Purdue's advantage.
Maybe that means hiring the best salesman in the world to go out and solicit wealthy alum and former/current pro athletes for funds.
Maybe that means creating essentially a mutual fund or ETF invested in the market that any fan can contribute to with the growth being distributed both back to the investor but also to an NIL account (hey, that's a helluva idea).

Purdue fans can't act like NIL is cheating, because it's not.

Reactions: wferrel
If NIL money is the new normal, Purdue athletic admin will need to find a way to make it work to Purdue's advantage.
Maybe that means hiring the best salesman in the world to go out and solicit wealthy alum and former/current pro athletes for funds.
Maybe that means creating essentially a mutual fund or ETF invested in the market that any fan can contribute to with the growth being distributed both back to the investor but also to an NIL account (hey, that's a helluva idea).

Purdue fans can't act like NIL is cheating, because it's not.
it's Obvious !!!! there are many rich purdue alums. they just have better things to do with their money than to give it away to athletes. the vast majority of purdue alums could care less about football and basketball. Look at the total student population. and then look at all the empty student seats. Students used to fill up half of the stadium. Look at this forum. how many active posters does it really have? 100? 200? How many of them are rich? 5 ? 10? how many want to give an athlete a $1 mil to play for purdue ? 0 ? how about $500k ? 0 ? how about $50k ? 2 at most?

take a look at who these rich people giving NIL money are. how many of them are engineers ? or educators? or pharmacists ? or vets? biologists?

the reality is back in the old days, unlike Alabama and LSU and USC and Auburn, Purdue alumni were not giving athletes money. and they are still not.

As i look into the future, purdue will still go to Bowl games and the fans will think going 8-4 is an awesome year. and the basketball team will continue to be a sweet 16 team. the only difference will be that Purdue will never compete for a national championship. that will be reserved for the NIL teams. I believe what you will soon find are that 99% of other schools are just like purdue. the 5 star athletes like arch manning will be paid. the All americans will be paid. but the rest will be just like the typical Purdue player.

and if a purdue player wants and demands $50K, he will be shown the door because nobody is going to pony up that type of money to keep him. I just hope the check doesn't bounce. I also hope these 18-20 year olds learn how to budget and manage their money. The average NFL career is 4 years. the average NBA career is a little longer, but has a lot fewer opportunities.

I welcome the NIL. I'd also like to see universities start charging athletes for the extra services they receive, or allow the entire student population to be able to use the existing athletic facilities. after all, weren't they built for students? shouldn't all students have free tutors? shouldn't all students be provided the same meals? shouldn't student fees/scholarships cover the same things?

it's Obvious !!!! there are many rich purdue alums. they just have better things to do with their money than to give it away to athletes. the vast majority of purdue alums could care less about football and basketball. Look at the total student population. and then look at all the empty student seats. Students used to fill up half of the stadium. Look at this forum. how many active posters does it really have? 100? 200? How many of them are rich? 5 ? 10? how many want to give an athlete a $1 mil to play for purdue ? 0 ? how about $500k ? 0 ? how about $50k ? 2 at most?

take a look at who these rich people giving NIL money are. how many of them are engineers ? or educators? or pharmacists ? or vets? biologists?

the reality is back in the old days, unlike Alabama and LSU and USC and Auburn, Purdue alumni were not giving athletes money. and they are still not.

As i look into the future, purdue will still go to Bowl games and the fans will think going 8-4 is an awesome year. and the basketball team will continue to be a sweet 16 team. the only difference will be that Purdue will never compete for a national championship. that will be reserved for the NIL teams. I believe what you will soon find are that 99% of other schools are just like purdue. the 5 star athletes like arch manning will be paid. the All americans will be paid. but the rest will be just like the typical Purdue player.

and if a purdue player wants and demands $50K, he will be shown the door because nobody is going to pony up that type of money to keep him. I just hope the check doesn't bounce. I also hope these 18-20 year olds learn how to budget and manage their money. The average NFL career is 4 years. the average NBA career is a little longer, but has a lot fewer opportunities.

I welcome the NIL. I'd also like to see universities start charging athletes for the extra services they receive, or allow the entire student population to be able to use the existing athletic facilities. after all, weren't they built for students? shouldn't all students have free tutors? shouldn't all students be provided the same meals? shouldn't student fees/scholarships cover the same things?
Disagree our alumni won’t support athletics. Purdue had $27m in donations for athletics in 2019-2020. We are one of very few schools that are self sufficient thanks to the generosity of our donors. Many of our scholarships are endowed. How are our biggest donors (Rohrmans, Whites, Buells) different than MSUs guy who has a big mortgage company. If you were to tel me their professions without knowing anything else and I would be shocked it was the mortgage business dude who was a throwing stupid money at NIL.

we’re not talking about the dukes and UNC in basketball but Miami and not Alabama and clemson in football it’s MSU and usc. These are random individuals who have no limits to this who are fine with stupid payments to their players. It’s not the schools or even the alumni base as a whole.

Praying the wolves stay away from Graham... I guess with the transfer deadline closed we are safe....

Reactions: pboiler18
Praying the wolves stay away from Graham... I guess with the transfer deadline closed we are safe....
Not 1000%. Can still transfer but would either have to sit a year now or get a waiver. At this point I’d assume we are good to go though.

Shame we can’t pay the guy but he’s smart….focal player on what could be a good defense and another good Purdue team overall. That exposure is worth way more than chasing a six figure payday to MAYBE play at a football Blue blood.

The other side of the coin is that these schools playing this game are so distracted trying to keep the kids they have that they don’t have as much times as you’d think to be poaching from other programs.

Also…something to think about in the future will be NIL refugees. The kids who got huge paydays to go to a school and in a year or two are not impact guys (or at least not the impact they were expected to have). These kids will get cut loose or leave to find greener ($$$) pastures. When they don’t, Purdue could be a solid destination. Could use some SEC level speed and athleticism!

Not 1000%. Can still transfer but would either have to sit a year now or get a waiver. At this point I’d assume we are good to go though.

Shame we can’t pay the guy but he’s smart….focal player on what could be a good defense and another good Purdue team overall. That exposure is worth way more than chasing a six figure payday to MAYBE play at a football Blue blood.

The other side of the coin is that these schools playing this game are so distracted trying to keep the kids they have that they don’t have as much times as you’d think to be poaching from other programs.

Also…something to think about in the future will be NIL refugees. The kids who got huge paydays to go to a school and in a year or two are not impact guys (or at least not the impact they were expected to have). These kids will get cut loose or leave to find greener ($$$) pastures. When they don’t, Purdue could be a solid destination. Could use some SEC level speed and athleticism!
Who said none of our players are getting NIL? We had zero players leave over NIL. Edey was another player who could have cashed out. I suspect we are giving soem NIL just not some stupid rich guy in other sums.

Damn! It's disabled. I was going to kick in a few bucks for this great kid!

just curious. has anybody here kicked in $100,000 yet to the Purdue NIL fund ? $50,000 ??? anything over $100? it's legal. it's ok to admit it. i see a lot of posters complaining, but nobody is willing to give up any of their own money.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT