ADVERTISEMENT

NIL question

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
To everyone over the years who was arguing “they get a scholarship, athletes shouldn’t be paid,” holding on for dear life.. not allowing kids to even WORK to make their own money (I think it was 9 hours a week they could work.

look at you.

do you wish they would have just paid revenue sport athletes some evenly distributed amount like $65k per year so they got something?

or are you glad we will have to rerecruit our entire team every year.

I’m just watching this realization dawn on some on kc

To everyone over the years who was arguing “they get a scholarship, athletes shouldn’t be paid,” holding on for dear life.. not allowing kids to even WORK to make their own money (I think it was 9 hours a week they could work.

look at you.

do you wish they would have just paid revenue sport athletes some evenly distributed amount like $65k per year so they got something?

To be fair, whatever amount they were given would have never been enough. Players would have always been asking for more. And do you honestly think some star QB would have been ok making the same amount of money as some 4th string o-line no one has ever heard of?

To be fair, whatever amount they were given would have never been enough. Players would have always been asking for more. And do you honestly think some star QB would have been ok making the same amount of money as some 4th string o-line no one has ever heard of?
Ok and maybe they’d be given more amd incentives like ANY PLAYER FROM ANY SCHOOL who gets all conference makes 120..

And we could have avoid this disgusting nonsense for years or decades.

Just wait

Yeap, people are greedy and their greed has now killed college sports.

The illusion that they even remotely care about an education is dead and because of that, college's really have no reason to even sponsor college athletics anymore.

It used to, now that money will go to bidding for athlete's. And most athletic departments are not self supported, so does it really bring in that much money for the university.
ADs dont pay the NIL deals.

No, the donars to the university and athletic department do. But now instead of donating for facilities to attract athletes, just cut out the middle man and pay the athletes directly
IM good with that. Purdue isnt some destitute university. It has the funds to pay for the facilities

Yeap, people are greedy and their greed has now killed college sports.

The illusion that they even remotely care about an education is dead and because of that, college's really have no reason to even sponsor college athletics anymore.
Wait till the "advisors" (not agents, that would be some kind of NCAA violation) start getting involved (probably already have) to get the athlete the "best deal"...and their cut.

No, the donars to the university and athletic department do. But now instead of donating for facilities to attract athletes, just cut out the middle man and pay the athletes directly
The donors are definitely involved, but it’s not like the money they are spending on NIL was necessarily going to go to the school. In the past, if they donated money to the school it wasn’t directly correlating to on the field (or court) success. It went to facility upgrades, salaries, etc. Now they can effectively buy the talent, which would directly lead to success. Thus, I think donors are willing to spend more on NIL than they would be donating. Regardless, having more talent leads to more butts in the seats which equals more revenue. It’s an investment. So maybe spending money on recruits will actually have a positive ROI.

Wait till the "advisors" (not agents, that would be some kind of NCAA violation) start getting involved (probably already have) to get the athlete the "best deal"...and their cut.
Dude whatever it is.. take your good boy Purdue image of it.. throw that in the garbage, hope Purdue does right mother f-ing now, and realize it’s way being the worst you can image. If the worst you can imagine is a handler calling painter like “what’s up with that cash” its WORSE THAN THAT AND ITS TIME FOR PURDUE TO WAKE THE F UP! because by the time some reactive places (Purdue!! Yeah, us!) wake up they’ll realize they’re on a permanent sleep and it’s too late

Time to stop being the nice guy school whose richest alum think donating to sports is de classe OR just cut the deck and become university of Chicago

The donors are definitely involved, but it’s not like the money they are spending on NIL was necessarily going to go to the school. In the past, if they donated money to the school it wasn’t directly correlating to on the field (or court) success. It went to facility upgrades, salaries, etc. Now they can effectively buy the talent, which would directly lead to success. Thus, I think donors are willing to spend more on NIL than they would be donating. Regardless, having more talent leads to more butts in the seats which equals more revenue. It’s an investment. So maybe spending money on recruits will actually have a positive ROI.
So why do I feel like we offered pack ten grand and that if there was a conversation after packs people left it went like this:

“you guys sure about ten grand?”
“What did you want to do? Twenty? Like ohhhhh sure (he went to Harvard)… some other school is going to offer 20! I mean we are all nice guys just like us at Purdue right? Nice guys wouldn’t offer more than 10. They’re nice guys at Miami right?”

thunderous laughter

So why do I feel like we offered pack ten grand and that if there was a conversation after packs people left it went like this:

“you guys sure about ten grand?”
“What did you want to do? Twenty? Like ohhhhh sure (he went to Harvard)… some other school is going to offer 20! I mean we are all nice guys just like us at Purdue right? Nice guys wouldn’t offer more than 10. They’re nice guys at Miami right?”

thunderous laughter
If that's the game now, I honestly hope we aren't playing it. This isn't and shouldn't be professional sports

If that's the game now, I honestly hope we aren't playing it. This isn't and shouldn't be professional sports
Ok but make that decision.. either go full on university of Chicago or play the game as it is, but to win. Purdue doesn’t need to get into a ton of bidding wars. Pay your stars enough that they don’t bounce, pay your up and comers like a Garrett Miller, pay inordinate amounts for guys to stay that extra year (I.e. cam Allen has a great senior year but only projects as a low pick, and we don’t have a great replacement, give him a nice 5th year payout) and then maybe go big on 3 key guys you want to see transfer in.

Everyone else gets next to nothing. You create an incentive to either elevate your game or your perceived value or ship out.

now, what I just described to you is the way to WIN if you’re Purdue. If you don’t want to play that game just go IV league now.

example.. if this was 12 months from now when it won’t be new and the packs of the world will have already got their 450.. I.e. everyone knows the game

oconnell - 1 million
Jalen Graham 1 million (remember pack just got 450, this is the most talented player on a good defense in football)
Garrett Miller 850 (his play might not warrant that yet but you’re projecting his value and being proactive so he doesn’t even think transfer AFTER he has a star season)

then you take 9 million and go after 3 players you normally can never recruit. Star proven back transfers after a very productive season as the leading rusher in the pac 12.. how does 3 million sound?

most other players rely on small money and are on their own. That’s the GAME as it should be played. That’s how you WIN. If you don’t like what I just said then go U Chicago. NOT playing it that way will be very bad for Purdue

Ok but make that decision.. either go full on university of Chicago or play the game as it is, but to win. Purdue doesn’t need to get into a ton of bidding wars. Pay your stars enough that they don’t bounce, pay your up and comers like a Garrett Miller, pay inordinate amounts for guys to stay that extra year (I.e. cam Allen has a great senior year but only projects as a low pick, and we don’t have a great replacement, give him a nice 5th year payout) and then maybe go big on 3 key guys you want to see transfer in.

Everyone else gets next to nothing. You create an incentive to either elevate your game or your perceived value or ship out.

now, what I just described to you is the way to WIN if you’re Purdue. If you don’t want to play that game just go IV league now.

example.. if this was 12 months from now when it won’t be new and the packs of the world will have already got their 450.. I.e. everyone knows the game

oconnell - 1 million
Jalen Graham 1 million (remember pack just got 450, this is the most talented player on a good defense in football)
Garrett Miller 850 (his play might not warrant that yet but you’re projecting his value and being proactive so he doesn’t even think transfer AFTER he has a star season)

then you take 9 million and go after 3 players you normally can never recruit. Star proven back transfers after a very productive season as the leading rusher in the pac 12.. how does 3 million sound?

most other players rely on small money and are on their own. That’s the GAME as it should be played. That’s how you WIN. If you don’t like what I just said then go U Chicago. NOT playing it that way will be very bad for Purdue
You do realize that it’s not Purdue that’s offering this money right? As a previous poster said, it’s the donors. It’s not like many people can just pull out millions of dollars to start offering these players. How many millions have you donated to make your dream scenario a reality?

You do realize that it’s not Purdue that’s offering this money right? As a previous poster said, it’s the donors. It’s not like many people can just pull out millions of dollars to start offering these players. How many millions have you donated to make your dream scenario a reality?
I’m telling you what it’s gonna take to win.. your arguments amount to reasons to just go IV league. “We can’t” well you better

This isn’t gonna stop a lot of schools … don’t be surprised if you find out that school A let their vendors raise prices and then those same vendors turn around and hand out NIL

Given a choice, my money will go to Purdue academics and research rather than directly to an athlete or NIL fund. I’ve watched a lot of businesses cut their giving to professional sports and other community activities. I suspect the same will happen to college sports in about 5 years. And you will see a break in college athletics. You will see pay colleges. And you will see amateur colleges. Much like today with power 5 leagues. After the money runs out and people wise up and stop giving, You will see the rebirth of what was once termed the student athlete. We may no longer compete with OSU and Texas and Alabama. We will compete against other real colleges! And the other schools may go to just paying athletes as if they were entertainers and not require them to be students or attend classes!

look at you.

Re-recruit the entire team? Hardly.

The truth is, if NIL money is hard to come by here…it’s going to be hard to come by at most D1 schools for anybody other than the true stud top tier players. I think Graham is a nice player but say he were to hit the portal…I think good teams would line up for him but they aren’t paying him any large sum of money to come to their school.

You’re hearing about big $$ deals right now because frankly these companies and collectives are being stupid and thinking you can throw $$ at a problem. It helps…but the kids still need to be in a good scheme, still need to be coached well, still need to work hard and live up to their hype.

Fundamentally I don’t think this changes much for Purdue football in the short or long run. We already weren’t going to be an elite program and weren’t getting a ton of top 100 players…and I think staying above the fray and being a place that kids can come be student athletes and develop their skills without the pressure to perform based on an alumni’s “investment” will remain attractive to mid tier players who are worried about an education and an NFL paycheck vs the crumbs being dropped in NIL deals now.

You wanna pay Garrett Miller 850k? In what world is he worth 8.5k? Getting stupid with this and following the fray does more harm than good to us in the long run.

I think Payne Durham is a top 3 TE in the BIG and was last year too. Nobody would have paid him a red cent outside of a scholly offer to come to their school. You can still get good players and develop good players without having to pay stupid money to get them to come play for you.

ADVERTISEMENT