ADVERTISEMENT

NIL opportunity & recruitment strategy using Purdue Aviation Technology. Win-Win opportunity

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
Jack Sullivan has graduated in the Professional Pilots program at Purdue and has a light fall load for a 2nd degree.

Fire up the jet with Jack Sullivan at the helm and Captain = co-pilot and fly around picking up top end recruits during the week to come check out Purdue. No cost to Jack Sullivan. He gets paid an hourly rate, but gets critical hours that are worth far more to him, Purdue has a certified instructor aboard to meet legal/insurance requirements & recruit gets style points landing in his hometown for pickup and Coach Jeff Brohm meets him at Purdue airport upon arrival. That sets Purdue apart from all others!
Anyone that reads this that has connections should get this in front of Staff and B.O.D. to think it thru and make it happen. NIL has opened up opportunities that Purdue should take advantage of and promote their Aviation Technology along the way. A Win-Win opportunity.

We just had Markell Jones who is now a pilot as well. https://www.linkedin.com/in/markell-jones8/

Boiler Up, cleared for take off!!!

I wonder what happened to former Purdue bball player Tony Jones who was a pilot. I found this article:
Remember Tony Jones and that he was in Aviation Technology as well. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: DAG10 and TX4GB
You are correct.
NCAA is the sham! They can't ban crap anymore. Now that NIL is out, it is the full NIL Deal and the hell with any remote potential of consequences. If neither the NCAA can penalize the Blue Bloods in basketball or football, then a plane ride is nothing. These athletes still fly to major airports.
I'm talking about NIL your student pilots with advertising dollars and pickup recruits. If that is a no go, then call it a Charter and pickup a Brohm family member or Board of Trustee in said city and fly it roundtrip. Think like the blue bloods and go to the letter of the NCAA contract. If they didn't dot i's and cross t's, then take advantage of the gray area language. Bill Belichick does it as do many other coaches. Putting a Tight End inside the tackle was sneaky and kept a drive alive. IIRC, it allowed them to win a playoff game taking them to a Super Bowl. Language then changed and he followed suit. He also had cameras on the coaches and in the booths. Rule changes for that happening, then he followed suit. Are you or anyone telling me that Bill Belichick will not go into the Hall of Fame?
My point is use every tool in the toolbox till you can no longer use the tool. NIL and portal transfers changed everything. Change with it!

Last edited:
NCAA is the sham! They can't ban crap anymore. Now that NIL is out, it is the full NIL Deal and the hell with any remote potential of consequences. If neither the NCAA can penalize the Blue Bloods in basketball or football, then a plane ride is nothing. These athletes still fly to major airports.
I'm talking about NIL your student pilots with advertising dollars and pickup recruits. If that is a no go, then call it a Charter and pickup a Brohm family member or Board of Trustee in said city and fly it roundtrip. Think like the blue bloods and go to the letter of the NCAA contract. If they didn't dot i's and cross t's, then take advantage of the gray area language. Bill Belichick does it as do many other coaches. Putting a Tight End inside the tackle was sneaky and kept a drive alive. IIRC, it allowed them to win a playoff game taking them to a Super Bowl. Language then changed and he followed suit. He also had cameras on the coaches and in the booths. Rule changes for that happening, then he followed suit. Are you or anyone telling me that Bill Belichick will not go into the Hall of Fame?
My point is use every tool in the toolbox till you can no longer use the tool. NIL and portal transfers changed everything. Change with it!
Totally agree...the NCAA has next to no governing power, if not genuinely no governing power, and, likely has none once the megaconferences form.

What was banned, and, how/why?

When Texas drops $300,000 on a recruiting visit for 1 kid, I am hard-pressed to grasp what is banned here, or, why it would be...never mind, as I suggested below, the NCAA has virtually no governing power, and, may genuinely have no governing power.
Specifically the use of private jets to bring recruits to campus. It was commonly discussed back in the late Tiller years. Some people believed it contributed to his recruiting decline. And it does seem outdated given the other changes.

Reactions: DAG10
Specifically the use of private jets to bring recruits to campus. It was commonly discussed back in the late Tiller years. Some people believed it contributed to his recruiting decline. And it does seem outdated given the other changes.
I remember some of that, but, not all of it...so, thanks for at least reminding me.

That said, as was suggested and you allude to, things not only have changed, but, they could not have changed more dramatically.

The idea that there is some recruiting advantage is genuinely ridiculous...more so when you have schools straight paying kids...again, Texas spending $300,000 on a visit for 1 kid is the literal definition of "recruiting advantage."

So, I think this could/should be revisited at the least, and, again...absent any genuine governing power...what is there to lose in moving forward with it?

I remember some of that, but, not all of it...so, thanks for at least reminding me.

That said, as was suggested and you allude to, things not only have changed, but, they could not have changed more dramatically.

The idea that there is some recruiting advantage is genuinely ridiculous...more so when you have schools straight paying kids...again, Texas spending $300,000 on a visit for 1 kid is the literal definition of "recruiting advantage."

So, I think this could/should be revisited at the least, and, again...absent any genuine governing power...what is there to lose in moving forward with it?
Excellent response and dialogue from where NCAA was in late Tiller era till now.

Fire up the jet! Clear Jack Sullivan or Markell Jones for takeoff and get top end recruits or equally better portal transfers that want to be here.
Nothing better than having a Football player from a Brohm team piloting the recruit and talking to him directly about said pilots football experience.
Give the pilot/player the Full NIL Deal and promote Purdue in doing so. Use every tool possible.

Last edited:
I've got a better one. Secure the rights for with Energizer for their next generation battery with the bunny beating on The Worlds Largest drum (to the point of shaking things up from the force and power). Take the money and x amount to the band, the rest to NIL. Have them run the commercial during fall football games.

• Love
Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
I've got a better one. Secure the rights for with Energizer for their next generation battery with the bunny beating on The Worlds Largest drum (to the point of shaking things up from the force and power). Take the money and x amount to the band, the rest to NIL. Have them run the commercial during fall football games.
Spitballing additional idea on this: Sign agreements to pair with Purdue's Material Science & Engineering teams to put the bunny on Mars with the habitat team! We're 8 years away from Mission Mars. Energizer, NASA, & Purdue could all benefit together.

I'm not much of a fan of SNL anymore, but this had some fun to it.

ADVERTISEMENT